diy solar

diy solar

MPP SOLAR LVX-6048 not charging off of utility power

ghostwriter66

"Here - Hold my Beer"
EE from LAX CA -work in SouthTX for giant evil Oil
Hi fellow DIYSOLARFORUM fanatic's and hopefully @MPP Solar USA - Ian Roux and maybe @Will Prowse @Otisd85 AND @BentleyJ is reading this also (since they seem to have had the same issue)... (Ian below is really a cut and paste of what my boss SAM just sent you earlier in an email) ... ////

Hoping you can help. I am going to try to make the issue as simple as possible, but I'm going to ramble.

We have a LVX-6048.

The LVX6048 is hooked up to an array of solar panels and also a 12000W generator.

THE PROBLEM IS::: The generator ONLY charges the battery when the Inverter is turned off.

If the inverter is turned on and the generator is running - the MPP senses the power coming in from generator BUT DOES NOT CHARGE THE BATTERIES and the batteries are still draining.

The panels DO charge the battery when the Inverter is on.

I have read on diysolarforum something about needing to have the operator out in the middle of nowhere bridge L1 + L2 but the last thing we need to do is ruin this.

Do you have any advice ...???

////////////////////

OK - here comes the additional info - i am including all of the below that MPP Solar Taiwan asked for BUT honestly was no help. They kept asking us to plug and unplug stuff - waste of time ... BUT the below is just in case it answers a question for you that could help resolve this. Below are some field notes from my engineer on settings.

Here are my parameters. We are using a FLOODED battery 48V 2000Ah (2000) ....

WHEN WE TURN OFF THE INVERTER- THE GENERATOR STARTS CHARGING THE BATTERIES !!! WE NEED FOR THE INVERTER TO CHARGE THE BATTERIES FROM THE GENERATOR WHILE THE INVERTER IS ON. If the generator is charging the batteries NO power (120V) is working since inverter is off.

01 SBU
05 BLU
06 BYE
07 LTE
08 LTE
10 SNU
11 90A
13 90A
14 FLD

all the others we went with the default that the system had ....

We are using a generator not UTILITY POWER.

BUT we have setting #10 as SNU which means that when the generator kicks on it should automatically charge the battery along WITH the solar. Right now its dark in the Texas oilfields. Generator is running - Your screen shows that it sees the generator running. 120V going in - 120V going out. BUT it is NOT charging the battery. And the battery is currently being discharged at 20A.

IF WE TURN OFF THE INVERTER THEN THE GENERATOR WILL SHOW A SOLID LINE TO THE BATTERY AND THE BATTERY WILL START CHARGING ...

GENERATOR RUNNING - NOT CHARGING BATTERY - MPPSOLAR DOES SEE THAT ITS PRODUCING 120v BUT NOT CHARGING BATTERIES???

GENERATOR IS RUNNING - NOT CHARGING BATTERIES - 120v OUTPUT IS WORKING

GENERATOR IS CHARGING BATTERIES - INVERTER IS OFF - NO 120v COMING OUT ...

GENERATOR IS OFF - INVERTER IS ON - 120v WORKING

GENERATOR IS ON - INVERTER IS ON - 120v OUPUT WORKING

INVERTER OFF - NO 120V OUTPUT - BATTERIES IS CHARGING via generator

The zip file are screenshots one of the kids took last night at the site of the MPP screen

Attachments

• archive (1).zip
    661.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
"all the others we went with the default that the system had ...."

Post the settings up, my suspicion is the charging parameters are not set high enough.

"all the others we went with the default that the system had ...."

Post the settings up, my suspicion is the charging parameters are not set high enough.

00 esc
O1 SBU
02 apl
O3 120
04 60
05 Blu
06 bye
O7 ltd
08 ttd
09 GTd
10 snu
11 60
13 60
14 fld
17 58.4
18 54
19 40.8
20 51
21 54
22 TEP
23 LON
24 bon
25 aon
27 FEN
28 Sig
29 ntt
30 ooo
31 ooo
32 ooo
33 ooo
95 18
96 12

I take it the 12Kw generator is not inverter?

I'd change #14 to USE and set 17, 18, 19 to what you would for FLA batteries, the charger settings you have set seem a little high to me for FLA.

I take it the 12Kw generator is not inverter?

I'd change #14 to USE and set 17, 18, 19 to what you would for FLA batteries, the charger settings you have set seem a little high to me for FLA.

FLA varies quite a bit. Those setting are low for my Trojans and Rolls. Trojans want 59.28V absorption and Rolls want 60.0V, but I agree on principle that they should be USE and set to the manufacturer's spec. Unfortunately, I don't see how that could be contributing to the issue when the battery reads 48V, and it's not charging.

FLA varies quite a bit. Those setting are low for my Trojans and Rolls. Trojans want 59.28V absorption and Rolls want 60.0V, but I agree on principle that they should be USE and set to the manufacturer's spec. Unfortunately, I don't see how that could be contributing to the issue when the battery reads 48V, and it's not charging.
Quite possible the generator sine ins't clean enough, but they can get it to charge if the inverter is switched off. I'd experiment with the charging priority settings if USE doesn't work.

Just to clarify... You are feeding 120 volt from your generator to the LVX 6048 ?
As far as I am aware this inverter needs 230-240 volt split phase input to work.

Reactions: Zwy
Just to clarify... You are feeding 120 volt from your generator to the LVX 6048 ?
As far as I am aware this inverter needs 230-240 volt split phase input to work.
You are correct, completely forgot about that. That is why some will bridge L1 to L2.

You are correct, completely forgot about that. That is why some will bridge L1 to L2.
I noticed she said 120v input, but I thought the pictures show 120v input on L1 and L2 without any bridge.
I would be pretty happy if I could charge from 120v even if I had to turn off the inverter for awhile.

Hey everyone -- we got it working ... the bridging of L1 + L2 is essential ... I was dumping 240V into it anyway but still needed to bridge .... the oilfields have been crazy last few weeks as you can imagine so they literally have us on 7 days a week 12 hour shifts for the last 14 days and reason that I have been slow to respond ... today they finally took us back to 6 day - 8 hour shifts .....

Hey everyone -- we got it working ... the bridging of L1 + L2 is essential ... I was dumping 240V into it anyway but still needed to bridge .... the oilfields have been crazy last few weeks as you can imagine so they literally have us on 7 days a week 12 hour shifts for the last 14 days and reason that I have been slow to respond ... today they finally took us back to 6 day - 8 hour shifts .....
Can you elaborate on bridging L1 to L2 please . I put a step up transformer on mine to get 240 from 120 , but it sounds like I don’t need to ?

I spoke with Ian at Watts 247 and he said this was not possible so I am confused ?

Are we sure we are talking about a (lvx6048)? Or could it just be a (lv6048?)

Two very different inverters.
One issue I've found with my lvx6048 inverter is when it shuts down do to low voltage the hz can go back to 50Hz
And the generator won't charge until the inverter is set back to 60Hz.

Can you elaborate on bridging L1 to L2 please . I put a step up transformer on mine to get 240 from 120 , but it sounds like I don’t need to ?

Was not trying to link L1 + L2 to get 240 ... Generator was pushing 240 out of the 50A receptacle to the MPPSOLAR -- the issue was that the MPP would not take the power from the generator and charge the batteries -- it would ONLY run the utility plugs .... by crossing L1 + L2 the MPP started charging the batteries and then the batteries would power the plugs ... (that was like 15 work orders ago so i am hoping I am thinking of the right thing) ... but definitely was NOT trying to get the MPP to produce 240 ...

Was not trying to link L1 + L2 to get 240 ... Generator was pushing 240 out of the 50A receptacle to the MPPSOLAR -- the issue was that the MPP would not take the power from the generator and charge the batteries -- it would ONLY run the utility plugs .... by crossing L1 + L2 the MPP started charging the batteries and then the batteries would power the plugs ... (that was like 15 work orders ago so i am hoping I am thinking of the right thing) ... but definitely was NOT trying to get the MPP to produce 240 ...
Hi there ! I have the exact same problem, and also have the LVX6048. So, not able to charge the batteries and get the inverter to power the house at the same time. I tried to bridge L1 and L2 (AC input) but it doesn't work for me. Or maybe I miss something ? Any help would be very appreciated. At least your setup is running fine and I'm glad for you :)

Hi there ! I have the exact same problem, and also have the LVX6048. So, not able to charge the batteries and get the inverter to power the house at the same time. I tried to bridge L1 and L2 (AC input) but it doesn't work for me. Or maybe I miss something ? Any help would be very appreciated. At least your setup is running fine and I'm glad for you :)
What are your settings?
Generator output voltage? Model?
Set to SUB, make sure you are not set to OSO for charging and you don't have any time schedules set. Oh and change power type from ups or whatever the setting that accepts a larger voltage swing.
I hooked mine up to a 5500w Generac 120/240 output and had no issues charging and powering the house.

Do you have the lvx6048 or the lv6048.
Totally different units. You should never bridge L1 with L2 on the lvx6048.

What are your settings?
Generator output voltage? Model?
Set to SUB, make sure you are not set to OSO for charging and you don't have any time schedules set. Oh and change power type from ups or whatever the setting that accepts a larger voltage swing.
I hooked mine up to a 5500w Generac 120/240 output and had no issues charging and powering the house.
Hi ! For the setup : LVX6048 as all-in-one inverter, Jakiper 48v100 x 4, and a Grizzly (Honda) Sgb5500hx generator of 5500w. However I was not set to sub as you mentioned. So I did the change and will see next time I use the generator if It does the trick. Also I have no time schedule set nor any clock time of any kind entered in the inverter. Thanks for your reply.

Back