diy solar

diy solar

MPP-Solar LVX-6048

jasonhc73

Cat herder, and dog toy tosser.
This unit is a modified European version to match USA voltages.

Unlike the LV6548, the LVX6048 is 240V Split Phase in one box.

The LVX6548 does not show or mention support for 3 phase.

Page 28
Grid-Tie Operation
6kW and 450V MPPT (100-400V range, 27amps)
can be stacked in parallel for as much as 54kW total output

The manual doesn't yet show the settings for USA (program 34, page 17)
The manual does show it feeding the grid.
2021-03-01 (1).png 2021-03-01.png

Attachments

• 2021-03-01 (2).png
    2021-03-01 (2).png
    380.1 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
The LVX6048 data sheet might be incorrect, while I had a quote from Peggy Hung and when I wanted to place my order she increased the shipping fee because of a higher weight.
Quote: A G. W of LVX 6048 is 36kg, and it’s net weight is 33kg

The LVX6048 data sheet might be incorrect, while I had a quote from Peggy Hung and when I wanted to place my order she increased the shipping fee because of a higher weight.
Quote: A G. W of LVX 6048 is 36kg, and it’s net weight is 33kg
That is a significant weight compared to the LV6548. My guess is that the LVX has a real transformer.

Can these be run without hooking up to the grid at all? Also, release date and price?

Can these be run without hooking up to the grid at all? Also, release date and price?
My Hybrid LV 6048 arrived today and that is what the manual says Hook up to grid or no grid it is up to you. It costs my C$1580 and 3 weeks of time. Peggy was great. Mind you the manual says to use a 40 Amp AC breaker and yet it also says I can use a #10 wire. I guess I really need some direction in knowing what part of the manual to believe. Maybe I can't send energy back into the grid. Help or time will tell.

My Hybrid LV 6048 arrived today and that is what the manual says Hook up to grid or no grid it is up to you. It costs my C$1580 and 3 weeks of time. Peggy was great. Mind you the manual says to use a 40 Amp AC breaker and yet it also says I can use a #10 wire. I guess I really need some direction in knowing what part of the manual to believe. Maybe I can't send energy back into the grid. Help or time will tell.
Thanks. I ordered mine a few days ago. Sounds like I better start saving up for batteries.

LV6048 does not have the ability to feed the grid, it only has AC input (Grid or Generator) and AC output.

Think the LVX6048 can take generator input when configured in non-export mode? Read most of the manual and only mention of generator is in the troubleshooting section... can't help but wonder if that was a mistake copy/paste, or if the unit is "indifferent" to it.

As I decide between the two models for an RV application (that has split phase and could benefit from future grid export), I'm almost forced to make a pro/con column. Also wonder how the LVX's surge rating compares - tho not specified anywhere, fair to assume it's the same same 2x for 5 seconds?

Think the LVX6048 can take generator input when configured in non-export mode? Read most of the manual and only mention of generator is in the troubleshooting section... can't help but wonder if that was a mistake copy/paste, or if the unit is "indifferent" to it.

As I decide between the two models for an RV application (that has split phase and could benefit from future grid export), I'm almost forced to make a pro/con column. Also wonder how the LVX's surge rating compares - tho not specified anywhere, fair to assume it's the same same 2x for 5 seconds?
Yes, generator or grid. It has generator starter output dry contacts..

That is a significant weight compared to the LV6548. My guess is that the LVX has a real transformer.
From what I can tell its similar in weight and features except the ones you mentioned to the LV5048 which weighs 70lbs and it is transformer less so I doubt the LVX6048 has much of a transformer either.

I would assume 12k for 5 seconds for surge but would confirm. Is the LVX6048 actually available for shipping yet?

I would assume 12k for 5 seconds for surge but would confirm. Is the LVX6048 actually available for shipping yet?
Peggy confirmed surge rating of 12kW for 5 seconds, though not xformer type per post above yours. While she implied it was available for order, she was emphatic that it was not yet UL approved so would be highly illegal for power export duty. Looks like we’ll be going with the LV6548 for the time being.

Peggy confirmed surge rating of 12kW for 5 seconds, though not xformer type per post above yours. While she implied it was available for order, she was emphatic that it was not yet UL approved so would be highly illegal for power export duty. Looks like we’ll be going with the LV6548 for the time being.
Did she give you a time frame for the UL testing?

This unit is a modified European version to match USA voltages.

Unlike the LV6548, the LVX6048 is 240V Split Phase in one box.

The LVX6548 does not show or mention support for 3 phase.

Page 28
Grid-Tie Operation
6kW and 450V MPPT (100-400V range, 27amps)
can be stacked in parallel for as much as 54kW total output

The manual doesn't yet show the settings for USA (program 34, page 17)
The manual does show it feeding the grid.
View attachment 39076 View attachment 39077

WOW: a 240vac usa style split phase option from "one unit" without having to network two or more units. That Perks my attention: Wondering Who sells these to USA market ??? (will search soon). Will be researching and reading future comments w curous interest. Also Wondering it has Grid Tie option when in the 240vac split phase configuration ??? (while; doubting it has required certifications to get the legal hookup permit for/ in California (thinking also all USA). IMO: It would be (will be) a significant game charge if (when) these All In One Options get proper "Certifications". ... From previous email dialog w a MPP Tech in Taiwan; I do believe these MPP units that can grid tie have built in automatic, anti-island tech (important for not creating big liability via a hot line on grid repair personnel) ... WOW to 450vdc Solar Input max; plus no battery option. IMO: These All In Ones are getting more Interesting :+) ... P.S. ... Brief web search found no sales links/ looking for such to further understand developing options :+)

Last edited:
That's right, Capt Bill - the future is looking bright - sunny/solar bright!

Products will keep getting better and cheaper, just not sure for how much more once something like this LVX is here in the states at this kind of price point. We've seen old-school inverter tech costs as well as for the panels themselves nearly level out, and while this represents one or more new feature sets, it's not really re-inventing the wheel, and too shouldn't drop much more than what we're seeing here IMHO.

looks like watts247 just got a few LVX6048's in stock!
Looks like a Wow Attractive Option to me :+) Notice sell page has note about Max PV input amps = 20A. (my maths head says w max 450vdc open voltage spec for PV INPUT, ... means running 300vdc or more to not exceed max 20amps of current (approx) when inputting near 6000 Watts PV in max. Re: One PV Input; I wonder IF just One PV input for a 6K PV array might possibly represent some limitation if/when that ONE up to a 6K PV array gets partially shaded (vs having multiple PV Inputs) . I also wonder what this units' idle watt draw is (would love to see an idle draw specification in MPP pdfs).

IMO: 240vac usa style split phase from one unit that can daisy chain network up the ac amps Out, ... Is Big Plus, on top of ability to run without a battery (read the no battery option applies to one unit only, & networking multiples requires a battery bank :+) Noticed: Watts247 says (5.14.2021 glance): ... 4 in stock (can be backordered). ... which means good time to get one if you are interested. IMO: Great to see these on a sell page in the USA.

... Here's a link to the LVX6048 manual: http://www.mppsolar.com/v3/catalogs/LVX6048.pdf

Added Bl Bla Note ... Re: Grid Feed Option: I understand this model can feed the grid, and believe (all recent) MPP All In Ones with grid feed ability have automatic anti-island ability. That means the grid feed automatically disconnects when grid is down (instead of creating huge liability by possibly electrocuting grid line repair perssonel) !!! ... From what I understand: These MPP units do not currently have the needed "Certifications" to get through the legal Grid Tie hoop jumps in my California USA PGE grid (think same true for entire USA?) ... for a "Legal Grid Tie" ; And those Certifications are a non issue for off grid use, and/or when with using "Grid Input as automaticly backup to loads" beyond the solar (and battery/ depending on however you configure so many interesting options :+) ... Bet the Grid Feed Option works nicely in some countries. ... I recently learned many grid feeds turned many older mechanical meters backward in the 90s ... in the pre- regulations days, ...before todays hoop humps and building permits process were put in place. Added Heads Up: Learned from this DIY solar forum: Some folks have reported that feeding the grid through the wrong kind of meter has resulted in getting charged for their grid feeds watt-hours just like those watt-hours were grid draw.

Reference: These comments are related to my owning four MPP LV2424s, and networking em for 240ac split phase (which are built on a 24v battery bank vs the 48v) ... and my Learning More All The Time Program :+) ... My Two Cents :+)

Last edited:
Back