diy solar

diy solar

MPP-Solar LVX-6048

Ehh I’m not sure I would call it false advertising. That usually implies malicious intent, I think in this case they were just ignorant.

In general people just assume transformer = low frequency. But I think MPP took a high frequency grid tied 230v inverter slapped a transformer on top to get 240/120 split phase. I can't confirm if this is the case or not since I'm not all that interested in this inverter but just a hunch.
Yeah, but ignorance is no excuse. I need to power HVAC, pool pumps, and well pumps, so thats why I wanted a low freq inverter. The other specs are great, but in reading the UL documents, even though they are IP65 rated, it also states they are designed for indoor use. (There are external fans). Based on the marketing, I was under the impression these were LF and fully enclosed like an SMA. If that is not the case, then I may as well just keep using my existing LV6548's, and buy some sunny islands to ac couple to my SMA's in my other house.

Anyone wanna buy two brand new still in the box, never opened LVX6048WP's?
Just want my money back, and you need to pay shipping of course.

Yeah, but ignorance is no excuse. I need to power HVAC, pool pumps, and well pumps, so thats why I wanted a low freq inverter. The other specs are great, but in reading the UL documents, even though they are IP65 rated, it also states they are designed for indoor use. (There are external fans). Based on the marketing, I was under the impression these were LF and fully enclosed like an SMA. If that is not the case, then I may as well just keep using my existing LV6548's, and buy some sunny islands to ac couple to my SMA's in my other house.

Anyone wanna buy two brand new still in the box, never opened LVX6048WP's?
Just want my money back, and you need to pay shipping of course.
PM me if interested. I know Ian's waitlist is quite long now.

The LVX6048 has a high idle consumption, high surge ability, and a large transformer at the top lol
My manual says 90 amp surge per phase for 1ms. That is not a low frequency inverter stat. Most low frequency inverters can handle an inductive load surge up to 30min, and a peak surge from 11KW to 20KW for at least a full second, depending on the model.
I had assumed the marketing for the LVX6048WP as a low frequency inverter would have similar specs. After watching Ian's video showing three heat guns on a single phase, the inverter shut down right after it went above sustained peak output, which matches the 1ms number in the manual.
These will be great for normal consumption, but for my needs, I wanted an OUTDOOOR model with ability to handle inductive loads. My existing two LV6548's will work fine for my indoor needs at this house, but my new house has SMA inverters sitting outside on the side of the building, and I was going to add these in the same location. (With batteries in an outdoor fire rated cabinet)

My manual says 90 amp surge per phase for 1ms. That is not a low frequency inverter stat. Most low frequency inverters can handle an inductive load surge up to 30min, and a peak surge from 11KW to 20KW for at least a full second, depending on the model.
I had assumed the marketing for the LVX6048WP as a low frequency inverter would have similar specs. After watching Ian's video showing three heat guns on a single phase, the inverter shut down right after it went above sustained peak output, which matches the 1ms number in the manual.
These will be great for normal consumption, but for my needs, I wanted an OUTDOOOR model with ability to handle inductive loads. My existing two LV6548's will work fine for my indoor needs at this house, but my new house has SMA inverters sitting outside on the side of the building, and I was going to add these in the same location. (With batteries in an outdoor fire rated cabinet)
I've tested mine with up to 16kW surges and it handled it without issue. These would be good for well pump or AC use.

I've tested mine with up to 16kW surges and it handled it without issue. These would be good for well pump or AC use.
Ok, that's interesting. How many seconds was the surge? I assume 240V and balanced load?

Ok, that's interesting. How many seconds was the surge? I assume 240V and balanced load?
Unbalanced by 1500W (starting a 3HP well pump while a space heater is running on one leg). The limiting factor seems to be that it has the same firmware as all the other similar inverters that will turn the inverter off after 5 seconds if the load is over 100-105%.

Unbalanced by 1500W (starting a 3HP well pump while a space heater is running on one leg). The limiting factor seems to be that it has the same firmware as all the other similar inverters that will turn the inverter off after 5 seconds if the load is over 100-105%.
Yeah, the surge rating. If its a low frequency inverter, then why the high frequency limits?

Being low frequency doesn't mean that it automatically has the cooling ability for >100% sustained loads
Take a look at the surge ratings for SMA, Victron, and others. Victron can surge for something like 30 min. Here is a search example:
The Sigineer low-frequency inverters can output a peak 300% surge power for 20 seconds, while high-frequency inverters can deliver 200% surge power for 5 seconds, check our HF solar power inverters. Low-frequency inverters take power impact through its big transformer which acts like a surge relief for the circuit.

Take a look at the surge ratings for SMA, Victron, and others. Victron can surge for something like 30 min. Here is a search example:
The Sigineer low-frequency inverters can output a peak 300% surge power for 20 seconds, while high-frequency inverters can deliver 200% surge power for 5 seconds, check our HF solar power inverters. Low-frequency inverters take power impact through its big transformer which acts like a surge relief for the circuit.
I'm sure the LVX6048 could handle a longer surge if MPP Solar was willing to write new firmware for it

For your viewing pleasure...cheers

Attachments

• IMG_20220511_183927.jpg
    IMG_20220511_183927.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20220511_183838.jpg
    IMG_20220511_183838.jpg
    391.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20220511_183847.jpg
    IMG_20220511_183847.jpg
    385.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20220511_183852.jpg
    IMG_20220511_183852.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20220511_183900.jpg
    IMG_20220511_183900.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20220511_183909.jpg
    IMG_20220511_183909.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20220511_183916.jpg
    IMG_20220511_183916.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 43
Im sorry to break the News, But it seemed fishy when I saw a very similar looking Deye inverter and I took the liberty to ask. Even the connectors inside are similar:

1652327364686.png1652327440677.png

Back