diy solar

diy solar

MPP-Solar LVX-6048

You said you dont have panels hooked up yet? When they are getting lots of PV power is when they start flickering the LED's. Even my cheap LED's don't flicker when running off battery, but during a sunny day they flicker like crazy.
You couldn't let me get through the weekend feeling good? :p

Once I get panels and batteries hooked up, I will definitely report back.

You couldn't let me get through the weekend feeling good? :p

Once I get panels and batteries hooked up, I will definitely report back.
yes the amount of solar does matter. That's where the caps fixed my issues.

If you have these in parallel, I wonder if that flickering is contributing to the issues with paralleling?
I have to admit, MPPSolar is no longer on my Christmas card list...

If you have these in parallel, I wonder if that flickering is contributing to the issues with paralleling?
I have to admit, MPPSolar is no longer on my Christmas card list...
I just think they need to refund everyone that bought a pair to parallel or stop advertising it can be paralleled. The latter is not much to ask for.

Today I rewire my ground to a ground bar. The house turn into a disco…. Everything was flickering. I pulled out the ground and it went away…. I am sure that if I dont run them in parallel everything will be fine.? not sure what my next step is…. Split the circuits or sell them and go for the EG4 6500….

Today I rewire my ground to a ground bar. The house turn into a disco…. Everything was flickering. I pulled out the ground and it went away…. I am sure that if I dont run them in parallel everything will be fine.? not sure what my next step is…. Split the circuits or sell them and go for the EG4 6500….
Keep them and split the load. With 2 EG4's running it is much louder I've found. Compared to a single mpp though. If yours isn't in the living space you are good to go if you want to go with EG4's. There is also no backup if one EG4 dies. You could reconfigure it to single but you'd only have 120v. The other downside so far is that they don't display the correct amps being pulled from the battery. I have to rely on my jk bms for accurate amp flow reading, in or out.

Update.....
Looks like everything runs fine until the batteries reach about 80% of charge at that point the flickering and the weird humming noises start. So I am going to try using them individually (not in parallel). it is very clear the inverter does not like having all three sources energy connected at the same time. PV, Grid and Batteries. if I turn off the PV or the grid all the flickering and the noise goes away.
If that does not works I am going to sell them.

Last edited:
Update.....
Looks like everything runs fine until the batteries reach about 80% of charge at that point the flickering and the weird humming noises start. So I am going to try using them individually (not in parallel). it is very clear the inverter does not like having all three sources energy connected at the same time. PV, Grid and Batteries. if I turn off the PV or the grid all the flickering and the noise goes away.
If that does not works I am going to sell them.
You won't get very much for them. No one even responded to my for sale posting. Better off just running them individually. You will need to use a 20uf cap to smooth things over at the ac output. My pair of EG4 is problem free so far.

This is some really bad advertising for MppSolar.
If they do not fix these issues, customers are going to run away from them.
Actually, They seem to be running now.

At this point is hard for me to recommend this with the issues we are experiencing.

This is some really bad advertising for MppSolar.
If they do not fix these issues, customers are going to run away from them.
Actually, They seem to be running now.
Yup fast. I would've kept it if I wanted just 6k but you can't parallel later on.

I'll chime in.
I've been running a TP6048 (sungolds version) since mid October with nearly 0 issues.
It's being fed by the grid, 2 arrays (~360 voc) , and 22kwh of DIY lifepo4.
It's feeding my entire house (except the 240v electric stove and dryer)
During cloudy days the grid takes over when the battery voltage drops below the voltage setpoint I entered.
I was able to program it to charge from grid during set hours as well as change the charge current with no issues.
I've had zero issues starting / running : 1hp 240V well pump @300+ft, 1hp 240v air compressor charged to around 85psi, 240 furnace hvac blower, standard top load washing machine, microwave, counter top convection oven, 120v oil filled radiator, etc. (obviously not all at the same time).
According to the display I've seen imbalances between L1 and L2 as much as 60%.
My main complaints, the software is pretty shitty. I was able to connect with a USB cable and read data but it's slow and doesn't always save/pull data.
I have a noticeable flicker in the lights (led) when the washing machine agitates.
It's really loud when arrays are making good power.
At this point I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

I'm hesitant to even bother with firmware updates because it's working good enough.

Any questions or testing I can do, ask and suggest away. I wouldn't be where I am with solar without all of you and this forum.

Attachments

• IMG_20221021_173614.jpg
    IMG_20221021_173614.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20221016_104307.jpg
    IMG_20221016_104307.jpg
    346.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20221101_174503.jpg
    IMG_20221101_174503.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20221016_142953.jpg
    IMG_20221016_142953.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 18
I'll chime in.
I've been running a TP6048 (sungolds version) since mid October with nearly 0 issues.
It's being fed by the grid, 2 arrays (~360 voc) , and 22kwh of DIY lifepo4.
It's feeding my entire house (except the 240v electric stove and dryer)
During cloudy days the grid takes over when the battery voltage drops below the voltage setpoint I entered.
I was able to program it to charge from grid during set hours as well as change the charge current with no issues.
I've had zero issues starting / running : 1hp 240V well pump @300+ft, 1hp 240v air compressor charged to around 85psi, 240 furnace hvac blower, standard top load washing machine, microwave, counter top convection oven, 120v oil filled radiator, etc. (obviously not all at the same time).
According to the display I've seen imbalances between L1 and L2 as much as 60%.
My main complaints, the software is pretty shitty. I was able to connect with a USB cable and read data but it's slow and doesn't always save/pull data.
I have a noticeable flicker in the lights (led) when the washing machine agitates.
It's really loud when arrays are making good power.
At this point I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

I'm hesitant to even bother with firmware updates because it's working good enough.

Any questions or testing I can do, ask and suggest away. I wouldn't be where I am with solar without all of you and this forum.
Put a cap at the ac output may solve your flickering issue when the washer runs. You only have 1 running so it should be working as designed. It's only with 2 in parallel that folks see the weird issues.

Put a cap at the ac output may solve your flickering issue when the washer runs. You only have 1 running so it should be working as designed. It's only with 2 in parallel that folks see the weird issues.
Thanks. I'll likely give this a try.
Is the cap wired between L1 and L2?
I know I've seen it somewhere on here but I can't find it.

Could I wire something like this into the breaker instead of adding it at the inverter?
TEMCo 20 uf/MFD 370 VAC Volts Round Run Capacitor 50/60 Hz AC Electric - Lot -1 (Optional uf/MFD, Voltage and Lot Quantities Available) https://a.co/d/dAzt8sz
I used something like this, has wires already

Back