MPP-Solar LVX-6048

Offgridmn

Off-grid on the North Shore
Bad news. When I hooked it up everything was going great until I put a load on it. There is an intermittent ticking and my magnetic/low watt fans were acting weird, it wan’t until it got dark I realized what was going on. Needless to say something is amiss with the unit, it must have happened when it got dropped.

It really sucks because the charge controller was working well into the early evening, whereas the Renogy unit shut down pretty early.

Videos attached.

daviddakers

Solar Enthusiast
Bad news. When I hooked it up everything was going great until I put a load on it. There is an intermittent ticking and my magnetic/low watt fans were acting weird, it wan’t until it got dark I realized what was going on. Needless to say something is amiss with the unit, it must have happened when it got dropped.

It really sucks because the charge controller was working well into the early evening, whereas the Renogy unit shut down pretty early.

Videos attached.

Ouch. Sorry to hear that.

You getting any error codes?

A close up of the screen might help...

Last edited:

daviddakers

Solar Enthusiast
Don't know if this would result in the ticking you're hearing... Could be battery cables not tight enough?
Problem - When the unit is turned on, internal relay is switched on and off repeatedly.
LCD display and LEDs are flashing
Explanation / Possible cause - Battery is disconnected.
What to do - Check if battery wires are connected well.

Offgridmn

Don't know if this would result in the ticking you're hearing... Could be battery cables not tight enough?
Problem - When the unit is turned on, internal relay is switched on and off repeatedly.
LCD display and LEDs are flashing
Explanation / Possible cause - Battery is disconnected.
What to do - Check if battery wires are connected well.
I’ll check them to make sure they are secure when I get back. No service at the cabin and on the waiting list for Starlink.

I hope it’s something simple, that would be way less of a headache. I turned error logging on to see if it throws any error codes.

daviddakers

Solar Enthusiast
When you connected up the battery did you use a resistor/bulb to avoid overloading the capacitors?

If you tighten the cables at the inverter you probably need to take care not to twist the pcb the contacts are mounted on.

I'm shooting in the dark really but hope it is something simple.

COMpuLANdia

I’ll check them to make sure they are secure when I get back. No service at the cabin and on the waiting list for Starlink.

I hope it’s something simple, that would be way less of a headache. I turned error logging on to see if it throws any error codes.
Wow, mine also got dropped. And one of mine (I bought 3) came with a disconnected cable inside. I could not turn it on with battery only and I got no AC output, when it powered on by AC input. Later I found the loose cable, but I don't think that it could come loose when they dropped it.

Attachments

• photo_2021-05-30_21-55-46.jpg
    photo_2021-05-30_21-55-46.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 10

Offgridmn

When you connected up the battery did you use a resistor/bulb to avoid overloading the capacitors?

If you tighten the cables at the inverter you probably need to take care not to twist the pcb the contacts are mounted on.

I'm shooting in the dark really but hope it is something simple.
Check, check, and check. Fingers crossed it’s as simple as a loose cable. Will let you know when I’m back in range tomorrow.

Offgridmn

Here’s a question these are the fans I’m running. They are DC fans, could that be why they flicker and reset? It doesn’t explain the ticking in the unit when it happens, and it doesn’t explain why they worked with the previous two inverters and not this one, but it’s the only other thing I can think of. Thoughts?

COMpuLANdia

Here’s a question these are the fans I’m running. They are DC fans, could that be why they flicker and reset? It doesn’t explain the ticking in the unit when it happens, and it doesn’t explain why they worked with the previous two inverters and not this one, but it’s the only other thing I can think of. Thoughts?
I would recommend to report this issue to your seller or to the support team of MPP Solar (depends where you ordered from). Probably they are the most indicated to help and to find a solution as you purchased a brand new device. In my case the support team in Taiwan has sent me already 2 firmware upgrades, the first one to fix an error 80 which showed up repeatedly and the second one last night to enable finally the feed-in feature. There are still some issues left to fix, e.g. the data logging, but I'm confident that over the time they will offer a solution for all the reported inconsistencies.

Attachments

• photo_2021-06-09_16-04-49.jpg
    photo_2021-06-09_16-04-49.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 5