diy solar

diy solar

MPP-Solar LVX-6048

It's a stable 120V. I only have GND, L1, and neutral connected. Supposedly that's supported.
That could be the reason of the flashing indicator, it does not sense the L2. You should have warning indicator in the SolarPower app.

Did someone accurately measure what the no load power was when on battery? Seems like should be easy to measure if you have shunt on battery cable.

I'm considering a purchase on a LVX-6048 as an emergency backup for my 11 year old off-grid 48V system with Xantrex/Schneider Electric XW4548 110/220VAC with Outback FM80 MPPT CC. The current system has run flawlessly non-stop (less battery replacement periods, etc) for over 11 years now, home use, not a seasonal cabin. My concern is that either the Inverter or the MPPT Charge Controller may fail due to their current age.
Would you folks here recommend the LVX-6048 as an emergency backup should either of the aforementioned existing components go down and need servicing?
It would only be used during repair periods for the current components.

Attachments

• 20210704_144430.jpg
    20210704_144430.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 18
I was able to hookup both L1 and L2 inputs this weekend and it works fine like that so it seems that 120V input isn't actually supported. Are any of you running a well pump off of one of these? Usually when the power is out we run the 3HP well off of a generator (7500W, 9400W surge) but I'm hoping this can handle it. It supposedly has a 6 second 12kW surge rating but I haven't seen anyone test that...

I found, that some settings must be applied one by one to make them work. Did you change multiple parameters in setup mode? Try to enter in setup mode and change only parameter 24 bOn to bOf, then apply and ESC. On mine this works.
you rock! it worked when i only changed this parameter by itself. it appears that the alarm parameters need to be set individually. everything else looked like it stuck when changing multiple settings at once. thanks!

Yes, this is the computer software you can download from the MPP Solar website. The solarpower app for smart phones doesn't work yet with the LVX6048. They told me to have an working update at the end of June.
i just tried registering it in the smartphone app today and it doesn't look like it is working yet

Last edited:
i just tried registering it in the smartphone app today and it doesn't look like it is working yet
Obviously the app has updated, because my three LVX6048 are going online now, what they didn't before, but all the data on the app is nonsense. The app shows hybid mode, when the inverters are in battery mode. Each inverter shows far different AC and DC voltages although they are connected in parallel to common voltages. My solar panels are producing high PV power all night long, if I believe the app. The PC software doesn't work for me either, where my split phase AC voltage on L1 shows 240V and on L2 0V and every day the PV production is changing even the stored data in the past

I would recommend to report this issue to your seller or to the support team of MPP Solar (depends where you ordered from). Probably they are the most indicated to help and to find a solution as you purchased a brand new device. In my case the support team in Taiwan has sent me already 2 firmware upgrades, the first one to fix an error 80 which showed up repeatedly and the second one last night to enable finally the feed-in feature. There are still some issues left to fix, e.g. the data logging, but I'm confident that over the time they will offer a solution for all the reported inconsistencies.
A quick update to the issues I'm struggling with running three LVX6048 in parallel.
The devices switch and change randomly paramerer 01 themselves: (every 20-30 minutes) SUB ... SBU ... SUB ...
In UPS mode, my LVX6048 do not accept the stable input power from my provider (240V/60Hz) and they show the utility on error switching to battery mode.
The devices often go to fault (error 80 CAN fault)
The charging current (parameter 11) cannot be changed on the device during charging.
Since the last firmware update, power feeding function has been enabled, but my bidirectional power meter shows a power factor between 0.16 and 0.85 for the energy fed into the grid.
Neither the PC software nor the android app work to monitor the system.
Unfortunately, I haven't received a reply to all of my emails from support guy Andy Y. for over a month.

Here I am again. Thanks for your help wit the battery, they are working good. On my system I have 16 solar panels off 395w, that is 2 strings in parallel of 8 pieces in series for a total of 6320w. According to the spec of the LVX 6048 is 6Kw the Max PV Power. Can I keep running the system with amount of panels that I have or I need to remove one panel to be safe. Thanks again for your support. The voc is 48.7 for panel

Last edited:
I'm new to solar (but have been reading silently on this forum for a long time). This is what I want to do as my first solar project:

I want to build a system which will be designed to ONLY run my 4 ton AC condenser which should pull 4 KW and 20 AMPs (running). I have NO (none, nada, zero, zilch) desire to back-feed the grid. However, I do want to PULL from the grid when the sun isn't shining on my panels or my panels are not putting out enough watts. Also, I do not want to install batteries at this time. Maybe later, but not now. So basically I want an all-in-one system which will take any (or all) of my PV output first and if that is not enough, then it will pull the extra watts needed from the grid. The LVX6048 says is does not need batteries, so that box is checked. But when I look at the Solar Power User Manual on the MPP website for the LVX6048, it is unclear to me if this unit will do what I want. Under Chapter 4 (Solar Power GUI Interface), it describes 3 power flow scenarios....1)Grid Tie Operation 2) Grid Tie with BackUp Operation and 3) Off Grid Operation. I can't determine from reading this if any of these scenarios will meet my objectives. It would seem that the "Line Mode" under "Grid Tie with BackUp Operation" comes closest to meeting my requirements, but I am not sure. Remember, if my PV is only putting out 2KW,I want to use that and then supplement the Grid for the other 2KW for the total 4KW I need to run my AC condenser. I NEVER want to backfeed the grid. Will this LVX6048 meet my needs?
Now that some people on this forum have had a chance to play with the LVX6048, can anyone answer my question above regarding "splitting" the load requirement between the grid and the solar panel output? If you have no batteries connected and your solar panels are only producing 2000 watts for a condenser that draws 4000 watts, will the LVX take 2000 watts from the grid and use the PV 2000 watts at the same time, or will it go into bypass mode and take the 4000 watts from the grid only?

Now that some people on this forum have had a chance to play with the LVX6048, can anyone answer my question above regarding "splitting" the load requirement between the grid and the solar panel output? If you have no batteries connected and your solar panels are only producing 2000 watts for a condenser that draws 4000 watts, will the LVX take 2000 watts from the grid and use the PV 2000 watts at the same time, or will it go into bypass mode and take the 4000 watts from the grid only?
In theory should work for the purpose you want it, however take in consideration that a single cloud can change your PV production. The LVX will be working only for the 5.5 hour sun average day light. There are some solar stores that do that you trying to accomplish because their business hours are during the day and to minimize the watts consumed from the grid, kind like a solar A/C.

In theory should work for the purpose you want it, however take in consideration that a single cloud can change your PV production. The LVX will be working only for the 5.5 hour sun average day light. There are some solar stores that do that you trying to accomplish because their business hours are during the day and to minimize the watts consumed from the grid, kind like a solar A/C.
Thank you for your reply. I will eventually build out a complete system with batteries, but for now, I want my all-in-one inverter to maximize PV output usage and supplement the grid to make up the short fall when a cloud appears in the sky. I don't want a complete "bypass" to the grid when my PV production is lacking. Does anyone know of an all-in-one inverter that will do this?

Thank you for your reply. I will eventually build out a complete system with batteries, but for now, I want my all-in-one inverter to maximize PV output usage and supplement the grid to make up the short fall when a cloud appears in the sky. I don't want a complete "bypass" to the grid when my PV production is lacking. Does anyone know of an all-in-one inverter that will do this?
I also want to see a list of inverters (all in ones - hybrids) that don’t completely stop powering main panel loads when those loads need more power than the inverter can supply. I know grid tie inverters don’t bypass. I use GTIL2 inverters that can be powered by batteries. They do not bypass. They will continue to supply their max output if loads exceed (by any amount) their max output.

So voltronic is the same as mpp? Thanks
voltronic is the OEM for mpp..
they release the same inverters as voltronix axpert ( of which i have 3 , 8000 max) , as incould buy them within the eu, there by circumventing import taxes of 30% and that also gave me 3 years of warranty instead of 1 per EU rules)

Back