diy solar

diy solar

MPP-Solar LVX-6048

I dont know about the grid tie capabilities, but it cannot supplement with battery power.

What I do know the LV6548 does (and I don't know why the LVX6048 wouldnt) is if you have it in line mode (where it is bypassing from the grid) it will supplement with PV power, so if you are drawing 8kw of power, and you have 4kw of PV available, it will put in 4kw of PV and 4kw from the Grid. But it won't do it from the battery.

Also keep in mind these units cannot bypass a ton of power. If I remember correctly it is only 40amps they can bypass. Keep that in mind.

I dont know about the grid tie capabilities, but it cannot supplement with battery power.

What I do know the LV6548 does (and I don't know why the LVX6048 wouldnt) is if you have it in line mode (where it is bypassing from the grid) it will supplement with PV power, so if you are drawing 8kw of power, and you have 4kw of PV available, it will put in 4kw of PV and 4kw from the Grid. But it won't do it from the battery.

Also keep in mind these units cannot bypass a ton of power. If I remember correctly it is only 40amps they can bypass. Keep that in mind.
I do need the inverter to use pv panels first and at the same time battery if pv panels not enough. Then if at any time the homes loads exceed (by any amount) the inverters max output, I need the grid to help (at the same time) the panels-battery to supply the remaining amount. Even if the homes loads are 20,000w. I need the homes load to use the rest of the power needed (that’s above the inverters max output) directly from the main panel. Not pass thru the inverter.

I am using grid tie inverters (powered by pv-batteries) that do everything as I have described. But grid tie inverters by themselves can’t be used when-if the grid is down. I am using a separate offgrid inverter. I’ve had these inverters for a while and am looking for a suitable replacement for my new house.
There’s a few other inverters that also do what I need. DEYE, Solark, Outback, Schneider. But DEYEs battery voltage range falls a bit short for my 16s batteries ☹️ Same for Solark☹️. I can work with the 64v max range of the mpp LVX6048 inverter. Outback has a high enough battery voltage range and everything I need but they cost. I’ve heard some bad things about Schneider’s firmware. I think Victron has to be AC coupled with a grid tie inverter to do what I need. So I’m still looking

Last edited:
If you want it to prioritize the Battery/PV first, it will never supplement with the Grid, it will overload and shut down. It cannot bypass more than it is rated for (6000 watts).
If you need 14,000 watts, then you need 3x 6000 watt inverters.

At that point, with 3 inverters, you can't set it to Prioritize PV/battery first. Then if the PV can't keep up, and the batteries falls below a preset voltage (usually when the battery is close to dead), it will switch over to the grid until battery voltage comes back up.

I cannot see how the settings in the manual allow it, but there is this on page 24/25 which seems to show line mode powering load from PV, Battery AND Utility at the same time...
LVX6048_LineMode_PVBatteryUtility.jpg

It could be that SBU means 'utility' at the same time unless the battery is too low:
"Solar energy provides power to the loads as first priority. If solar energy is not sufficient to power all connected loads, battery energy will supply power to the loads at the same time. Utility provides power to the loads only when battery voltage drops to either low-level warning voltage or the setting point in program 20 or solar and battery is not sufficient."

Would love someone to get this running and find out! :LOL:
From the way it looks in the manual. The inverter will shutoff if loads exceed the 6000w. But when it’s in grid tie mode (able to feed into the grid) it imo should be able to supply its max output and allow the loads to get remaining power needed from the grid. It probably does, Or it’s not really acting like a grid tie inverter. So I guess (as Lt.Dan said) the problem is that it can’t use the batteries while in grid tie mode. If that’s so it’s a bummer. I’m thinking there’s a fairly good size market for people that want to take their electric bill down close to zero using batteries to store their own excess power instead of selling it. If their inverter does like I explain then a smaller inverter can be used, The inverter-battery-array doesn’t have to be sized for the homes surges or occasional large load. This would also be less stress on the battery. Also when the grids down or there’s clouds they still would have power stored to use. The grid is rarely down in my area and rarely down in most highly populated areas. I’m ok with my system being undersized for the occasional grid outage. I’ll just be running the essentials

Last edited:
I cannot see how the settings in the manual allow it, but there is this on page 24/25 which seems to show line mode powering load from PV, Battery AND Utility at the same time...
View attachment 51086

Yeah I seen this. In Line Mode the LVX will allow loads to use solar, battery and grid at the same time. Makes me think that it takes grid power into the inverter and then out to the load. If so it still couldn’t supply-pass through all the power the loads need if they were over the inverters max output. A grid tie inverter simply supplies it’s max output and the loads take remaining power needed directly from the main panel. A grid tie inverter doesn’t shut off if the loads exceed any amount.

Last edited:
Can the LVX6048 balance the 120V legs? Can you actually pull the full 6kW output off of a single 120V leg?

Yeah I seen this. In Line Mode the LVX will allow loads to use solar, battery and grid at the same time. Makes me think that is takes grid power into the inverter and then out to the load. If so it still couldn’t supply-pass through all the power the loads need if they were over the inverters max output. A grid tie inverter simply supplies it’s max output and the loads take remaining power needed directly from the main panel. A grid tie inverter doesn’t shut off if the loads exceed any amount.
I hear you. The manual does refer to 'bypass' though, like it may be able to feed the input straight through and out. Could be a lot better defined.

Can the LVX6048 balance the 120V legs? Can you actually pull the full 6kW output off of a single 120V leg?
I dont know what I’m talking about regarding these inverters, but the LVX appears to have a transformer to create splitphase. So im thinking that the full 6kw can be used on one leg. Other inverters have two inverters in one to create splitphase instead of a transformer. That’s the inverters that only allow half of there max output to each leg

Last edited:
I hear you. The manual does refer to 'bypass' though, like it may be able to feed the input straight through and out. Could be a lot better defined.
If it does a bypass (through the inverter) then the amount the loads can use from the grid Is limited to the amount of the inverters max output-contacts.

The 'brochure' says Max Bypass Current 40A... so is this in addition to the 6kW? We can speculate but would be nice for MPP Solar to make their specs clearer.

Damn, what are you powering with 3?

I only have 1x LV6548 and I have hit the over temp fault several times.
2 houses (=4 condos) with 4 AC, 4 water pumps, 5 refrigerators etc. living in an abandoned region in the Dominican Republic. Lots of black outs over the year and danger of long blackouts in hurricane season. I replaced my 4 LV2424 with them 2 weeks ago. No over temp faults so far.

Back