diy solar

diy solar

MPP-Solar LVX-6048

In the Northern Hemisphere the average maximum solar concentration on no tracking PV is 5 hours. So the five hours is the allotted time to get 100% panel efficiencies, if that were even possible. In simple term, the sun does not stop at exactly 90 degrees over your array every day. As it comes into focus and leaves focus the maximum average max solar input is for 5 hours. After that you are trying to get what you can depending on time of day. I was assuming based on your comment that you had an array of 25 panels that allowed a maximum of 400W panels getting 100% for five hours. That assuming you used art least 50% of your battery storage every night running AC or whatever, or you would not be charging daily to take advanage of the max number of recycles on your batteries bank before they degrade to 80% charge capacity. I understand how it works, I have 30 300W fixed panels roof installed no shadows and yesterday I produced 24.63 kWh of energy, but then during the day is when I use the highest amount of power to counter the heat, I run AC in the barn and the house. My largest consumers of power. Yesterday it consumed 24kWh of power during the daylight. So 24 - 24.3 left ,e with .3 kWh of power to charge my batteries. Do you understand the confusion.
Sounds like you need to add another solar array

Sounds like you need to add another solar array
Indeed, I just received 20 260 panels to install on one of the barns. I ordered another 6kW split phase inverter to sit on the wall next to my Fronius 6kW inverter. Basically I’m doubling my capacity and will begin storing energy for use at night with large LiFePo storage bank. I’m looking forward to seeing how close to zero I can get my power bill here. Luckily a commercial farm is classified as a commercial business and that will allow me a total of 110kWh of solar at this meter.

From what I can tell its similar in weight and features except the ones you mentioned to the LV5048 which weighs 70lbs and it is transformer less so I doubt the LVX6048 has much of a transformer either.
Here's a picture of the lvx6048.
Fairly big transformer.
And also it can not be configured to put out 6000w on one leg. Unlike the lv6048. Quite different machines.

Attachments

• 20210726_092108.jpg
    20210726_092108.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 64
Well…..? one of my primary concerns here is water. If we lose the grid, we lose water. I can and will expect to shut off the AC to fill the well tank. The head pressure required to pump from 400 feet needs quite a surge, but I believe I can pump water with this. I’ll let you know when the testing begins. The biggest wait here is for finding and testing the proper roof mounts for our steel barn roof.

Last edited:
Well…..? one of my primary concerns here is water. If we lose the grid, we lose water. I can and will expect to shut off the AC to fill the well tank. The head pressure required to pump from 400 feet needs quite a surge, but I believe I can pump water with this. I’ll let you know when the testing begins. The biggest wait here is for finding and testing the proper roof mounts for out steel barn roof.
Same here. Earlier this year we had a 13 day power outage. How many HP is your pump?

Is anyone running one of these with just solar only or solar and grid connection. No batteries. I do not care about the batteries.
Are you running 220v or 120v? What is your consumption and solar/grid input?
What is the max load that one can run while being 100% on solar only or the max that you have tested or run stable during the bulk of the day.

Is anyone running one of these with just solar only or solar and grid connection. No batteries. I do not care about the batteries.
Are you running 220v or 120v? What is your consumption and solar/grid input?
What is the max load that one can run while being 100% on solar only or the max that you have tested or run stable during the bulk of the day.
The only person I've seen try batteryless operation on one of these all in one units is Will. He was trying to run an AC unit off of it which didn't work well. I imagine you'd have better luck if you're using it for resistive loads only.

The only person I've seen try batteryless operation on one of these all in one units is Will. He was trying to run an AC unit off of it which didn't work well. I imagine you'd have better luck if you're using it for resistive loads only.
I have seen videos of the older 5048 euro version that has run ac unit with just the solar. I am guessing that this one can do the same to a point. Though I would assume that with grid connection and solar connection one could pull the max or right about the max just fine, like around 5.5kw just fine as that is what this is suppose to do.

I have seen videos of the older 5048 euro version that has run ac unit with just the solar. I am guessing that this one can do the same to a point. Though I would assume that with grid connection and solar connection one could pull the max or right about the max just fine, like around 5.5kw just fine as that is what this is suppose to do.

Tested a lvx 6048 today . Used 8 370 watt panels . Ran a 10000 btu ac, a 6000 btu ac and could still start and cut boards with a skill saw . Did not connect batteries or utility
Sweet. That is awesome.
About what time did you test this and for how long?
3kw of solar and you were still able to run all of that. Did you ever get a number on the watts you were producing and consuming?
Also what was your panel voltage in series?

Tested a lvx 6048 today . Used 8 370 watt panels . Ran a 10000 btu ac, a 6000 btu ac and could still start and cut boards with a skill saw . Did not connect batteries or utility
Wow that's impressive

I tested this at around 3 pm . The panels were just laying on their backs on the ground . The load was 1.6 kw with the two ac units going , I’m not sure what it was with the skill saw going . The only problem i had is , without batteries, I had to start the 10 k btu unit first or it would kick off the inverter. I have some maxwell ultra capacitors that I want to test in place of a battery . The panel voltage was around 330 volts . I did not test like this very long because I was using a light duty cord wired into the inverter. I did run the 6k btu ac for most of the day however

Last edited:
Can anyone verify please if it is possible to communicate/ change settings on the lvx from a third party device such a plc ? It does not appear that the unit has these capabilities? Our utility has a peak/ off peak rate if the consumer opts in . Basically for 4 hours a day the rate is 11 cents and the off rate is 5.5 cents . I’m trying to figure out how to use batteries to carry my loads for the 4 hours but I need to change settings without having to physically be at the inverter twice a day .

Can anyone verify please if it is possible to communicate/ change settings on the lvx from a third party device such a plc ? It does not appear that the unit has these capabilities? Our utility has a peak/ off peak rate if the consumer opts in . Basically for 4 hours a day the rate is 11 cents and the off rate is 5.5 cents . I’m trying to figure out how to use batteries to carry my loads for the 4 hours but I need to change settings without having to physically be at the inverter twice a day .
I use wifi anywhere in my house to change parameters on my LV6548's.

The lvx6048 inverter's settings can be changed via the solar power software running on a pc. Connected to the rs232 port on the inverter, optionally the inverter can be connected to wifi and be configured via the solar power app anywhere you have internet.

Back