diy solar

diy solar

MPP-Solar LVX-6048

lvx6048 says 27 amps and 450VOC for the panels input.
It may be a good idea to stay under those specs.
Ok im starting to understand this a little more. I think the best thing, though not the cheapest, is to add a third inverter and 2 more panels. Then I'll have 2 strings of 7 panels per inverter. That should keep me well under max VOC and at only 4690W per inverter. Anyone want to volunteer to pay for it? haha

You could run two units 8S2P (5360w, 384v, 19a), and then just get a charge controller for the left over 8 panels. Something like the MPP SC48120 would easily handle 3kw 4S2P. Still not cheap, but $450ish vs $1600.

You could run two units 8S2P (5360w, 384v, 19a), and then just get a charge controller for the left over 8 panels. Something like the MPP SC48120 would easily handle 3kw 4S2P. Still not cheap, but $450ish vs $1600.
Thanks again for your input. Correct me if Im wrong, but then I would still be limited to the 12KW of the two inverters, whereas if I go with three Ill have access to the full 14KW, right?

Thanks again for your input. Correct me if Im wrong, but then I would still be limited to the 12KW of the two inverters, whereas if I go with three Ill have access to the full 14KW, right?
Unless you are connected to the grid you have two limitations on your system.

1. How much power you are using currently
2. How much power you can shove into your battery

If you are using zero power, and your batteries are fully charged, your 14kw array will produce nothing. If you have low batteries and are using a bunch of power, your array will produce as much as it can and send it to the load and batteries. So with two inverters and the added charge controller you will get max production out of your panels IF you have somewhere to send the power.

My setup for instance produces about 10-12kwh per day if it is sunny out, but my garage uses about 1.5kwh per day, so the rest just sits on the roof and is not used. :( That is what is so attractive about being able to back feed the grid. Even if they didn't pay you for it, at least the power is going somewhere instead of just being wasted.

Unless you are connected to the grid you have two limitations on your system.

1. How much power you are using currently
2. How much power you can shove into your battery

If you are using zero power, and your batteries are fully charged, your 14kw array will produce nothing. If you have low batteries and are using a bunch of power, your array will produce as much as it can and send it to the load and batteries. So with two inverters and the added charge controller you will get max production out of your panels IF you have somewhere to send the power.

My setup for instance produces about 10-12kwh per day if it is sunny out, but my garage uses about 1.5kwh per day, so the rest just sits on the roof and is not used. :( That is what is so attractive about being able to back feed the grid. Even if they didn't pay you for it, at least the power is going somewhere instead of just being wasted.
My main reason for going so big was to get better output in winter really. As you said, in summer I would definitely be wasting energy most days. But as you explain it, it sounds like I would still get that benefit for less cost by going with a charge controller instead, correct? But I would be limited to the total 12kw and total surge capacity of two inverters, right? Whereas if I go with three, I increase total capacity for both. I do plan to tie to the grid for back-up power, but not for feedback. But I would like the ability to power the larger tools in my woodshop even off grid. In that scenario, would you still recommend a charge controller?

Last edited:
I think only you can answer that question. I can't see pulling more then 25a of 240v at once, never mind double that (two units), but I don't have any items that would do that anyway (I don't even have any breakers in my panel bigger than 50a). You could always start with a charge controller, and if you find yourself short of power, add the third unit. You would be out $450ish, but you could always repurpose it to even more panels.

My Hybrid LV 6048 arrived today and that is what the manual says Hook up to grid or no grid it is up to you. It costs my C$1580 and 3 weeks of time. Peggy was great. Mind you the manual says to use a 40 Amp AC breaker and yet it also says I can use a #10 wire. I guess I really need some direction in knowing what part of the manual to believe. Maybe I can't send energy back into the grid. Help or time will tell.
Guys,
From what I understand, this inverter is not UL nor IEEE certified. You would NOT be able to hook it to the grid here under
Georgia Power, at least not legally...
GlenB
???

Guys,
From what I understand, this inverter is not UL nor IEEE certified. You would NOT be able to hook it to the grid here under
GlenB
???
Correct. Nothing from MPP is UL listed. Only the LV6548 is certified to be U1741 compliant. There's some debate whether that's good enough to pass inspection.

Guys,
GlenB
???
Not grid tie inverter where power is fed back to the grid. But it can be used for load reduction with grid bypass where the transfer switch automatically switches back to grid power. Let's be clear on what is meant by grid tie vs grid bypass.

Hi , where did you get this update please ? Also could you share the process of how to update?

Thanks
Hi wend you download the file is a zip folder, Wend you unzip the file there is a pdf file that give you the instructions .

So I was looking into these, and you can only charge 120A, and I assume by the same measure that's all you can take from the system, 120.
So for a 12kW system, you can connect 2 of these split phase, which is good.
So if you have 2 battery banks of 14kW each, like a 48v 280Ah, would you connect a battery bank to each inverter?
how would it work?

So I was looking into these, and you can only charge 120A, and I assume by the same measure that's all you can take from the system, 120.
So for a 12kW system, you can connect 2 of these split phase, which is good.
So if you have 2 battery banks of 14kW each, like a 48v 280Ah, would you connect a battery bank to each inverter?
how would it work?
you would use a busbar to connect both batterries and both inverters to eachother

you would use a busbar to connect both batterries and both inverters to eachother
So they would draw out what they could and charge what they could according to what would be available?
Then you would choose something like a BMS of 120 or 150amps, anything else per battery bank would be just a waste(in theory, if maxing you would do 240A, or 200A)

Sorry, I ws not the person who load file, let me in what way I can send you a copy.
I would like a copy too please . I asked mpp solar for an update and Peggy said they have never had a firmware update . The support is terrible

I would also love the firmware update, please. Just joined the forum. I have 4 of the lvx6048s on order and am a little worried about how to get the latest firmware after reading through the posts. I think this looks a very good source of knowledge and suggestion.

Back