diy solar

diy solar

MPP-Solar LVX-6048

View attachment 94356

Is that a ANL Fuse, isn't that a 32v Max, that @Will Prowse said is insufficient for a 48VCD bank?
Just because it looks like anl does not mean it is one. It looks more like a megafuse (which has a higher voltage rating and AIC), but impossible to tell with that photo. If you can take it apart and take a high detail photo, we may be able to tell.

Yes, absolutely. Totally different inverter.
Will, I have two of the LV6548's just like you have, and love them. I just purchased two of the WP units for my other home in the south, which has a large pool, well pumps, etc, currently running on SMA inverters. I want to be able to handle a power outage though. I had thought the WP version of the MPP would be outdoor rated and Low Frequency, but the specs show 1ms over current to 90 amps per phase, which seems like a High Frequency limit.
Will you be testing the WP's? I would like to know your opinion if these are OK for AC coupling to an SMA, and can handle well pump loads. I saw Ian's video, but he did not go into depth on it.

I got two of these as well. Has anyone asked Ian about whether these units can handle higher surge loads? I don’t need these for outdoor use but got them because my house is all off grid and using some inductive loads (eg. induction stove) and wanted to make sure there would be no problems with that. It’s not clear as of now what advantage the WP has over the non-WP except higher voltage input and a little more PV array size (2 inputs as well). Would be great if Will could review these new units for pros and cons. ?

I have one LVX6048. it starts and runs everything in my home except my 5 hp air compressor.
It just growls and cant quite get the lead out starting that 5 hp motor. It runs my
old south bend lathes, skillsaw, well pump, heat pump hot water heater, dryer (but the dryer really kicks it into high gear.)
Lathes are 1 hp motors. It has no issues starting that deep well pump at all. The dryer I put back on the grid because it seems to use over 4000 watts to run it and I do not want issues when the well pump starts up.
We recently had a grid outage that lasted 4 days. I was unaffected here except that I used a clothes line to dry my laundry.
I am telling you, it made it all worthwhile in those 4 days.

I have one LVX6048. it starts and runs everything in my home except my 5 hp air compressor.
It just growls and cant quite get the lead out starting that 5 hp motor. It runs my
old south bend lathes, skillsaw, well pump, heat pump hot water heater, dryer (but the dryer really kicks it into high gear.)
Lathes are 1 hp motors. It has no issues starting that deep well pump at all. The dryer I put back on the grid because it seems to use over 4000 watts to run it and I do not want issues when the well pump starts up.
We recently had a grid outage that lasted 4 days. I was unaffected here except that I used a clothes line to dry my laundry.
I am telling you, it made it all worthwhile in those 4 days.
Wouldnt having two in parallel decrease the chances of having issues with inductive loads? My induction stove uses up to 3600 watts.

Wouldnt having two in parallel decrease the chances of having issues with inductive loads? My induction stove uses up to 3600 watts.
I think it very likely that 2 would start my 5 hp compressor. If I ever buy another, That will be the first thing I try.
It starts ALL my other power tools even though many are 120V. That is a huge deal to me. I will be installing a 2 ton ground loop
geothermal unit later this year. If that did not run. then for sure I would get a second LVX6048.

I think it very likely that 2 would start my 5 hp compressor. If I ever buy another, That will be the first thing I try.
It starts ALL my other power tools even though many are 120V. That is a huge deal to me. I will be installing a 2 ton ground loop
geothermal unit later this year. If that did not run. then for sure I would get a second LVX6048.
I have two LV6548's at my current house, and I have no issues. HVAC, tools, compressors, chop saws, all good.
My new home has a well pump, and that is why I wanted a low frequency inverter.

I have two LV6548's at my current house, and I have no issues. HVAC, tools, compressors, chop saws, all good.
My new home has a well pump, and that is why I wanted a low frequency inverter.
How many HVAC tons are you running with Lv6548?

I've tested mine with up to 16kW surges and it handled it without issue. These would be good for well pump or AC use.
If you don't mind me asking what battery brand and how much KWh battery power was connected during your test, and how much Solar (in KW) power was connected during your test, thanks.

Back