diy solar

diy solar

MPP Solar "Overload Bypass" confusion?

JAS

Solar Enthusiast
So as the title states... I've read some conflicting/confusing information regarding the overload bypass function (#23 on the 12v model)

Watching @Will Prowse video, I see the overload bypass worked as expected when he started the 1500W heat gun. If I recall, it also switched back to battery when he shut it off.

However, other threads have suggested that the unit can not handle more amps in bypass than what the Inverter can handle when inverting? If that's the case, wouldn't it have overloaded with 1500 watts?

In addition, the argument was made that the reason it didn't overload in Will's video was because he was still using the default of Utility first? Would love to know if this is true... But, it that were true, wouldn't it have already been running on utility even before he turned on the heat gun?

I'm hoping to purchase the 1000W 12v model. But, I really need the unit to be able to handle the surge of my freezer and/or fridge plus the 100-200 watts of electronics running at the same time.

Thanks,

Jeff

Hmm... Let me try wording a different way...

Is anyone successfully running a fridge/freezer (or anything else) that has an initial surge greater than 1000 watts with the 1012LV?

I do have a temporary setup using the 1012LV. Its running 11watts worth of electronics to keep the internet running and an older refrigerator. When I checked the draw from the fridge with my clamp on amp meter using the inrush setting it was right around 1500w. The running wattage of the fridge is right around 125w. Depending on the battery SOC the 1012lv can usually start and run the fridge fine although sometimes is does go into OL and run off the grid for a few minutes before switching back to battery. I would not recommend running a fridge of this current draw on the 1012lv permanently, I will be upgrading to a much larger inverter soon. I may look into replacing the fridge also, newer models typically have a draw around 60w and if you get an inverter style compressor there is basically no inrush. I am also looking into change my furnaces PSC motor to a ECM type and putting a soft starter on the A/C compressor for similar reasons.

I will be keeping the 1012lv around and build a custom box for it and use it as a portable solar generator, far better specs then jackery or similar devices if you dont mind the extra weight and space it takes up.

Sun$,

Thanks for the great feedback! So it sounds like it operates as advertised.

I would not recommend running a fridge of this current draw on the 1012lv permanently,

Is this because you're afraid of shortening the life of the unit by frequently (or even unfrequently) going into overload?

Yes. I don't assume it will always simply revert to grid during overload.

Reactions: JAS
Back