diy solar

diy solar

MPP Solar PIP1012LV-MK - Question about 12v LiFePo4 charge settings

WER83

Good afternoon all,

I recently bought a PIP1012LV-MK unit and a 200AH CHINS battery off Amazon. I got a chance to hook it all up and set it up. However it is acting fairly strangely and not at all like my other MPP Solar unit with is a 24V system with a BigBattery.com unit. Basicaly what I am seeing is that the battery voltage seems to be jumping all over the place, the charger is firing up and charging for a few seconds and then shuts off and then starts up again as the battery voltage begins to drop quickly.

I thought maybe the battery is bad but I unplug AC power and it powers the load consistently with what I would expect it to be able to do. When I restore AC power the MPP unit charges the battery consistently without the short cycling it seems to do as it gets near "full."

Is this normal behavior or have I got something set wrong or do I have a bad battery? I am still new to this stuff and am unsure what to check or where to look next. Thanks in advance.

Follow up: I'm not really sure how or why, but watching the unit via the WatchPower software and looking at the logged data, it became apparent that what was happening was that the inverter was powering the AC load via the battery, and the charger was kicking on and off every ~60 seconds or so to charge the battery back up. I am not really sure why, but the setting that seems to have stopped this behavior was changing the parameter "Operation Logic" from "Automatic" to "ECO Mode (ECO)," after which the load was powered by utility and the battery has maintained consistent voltage and the charger is no longer cycling on and off. So it appears, mystery solved.

Back