diy solar

diy solar

MPP Solar PIP8048MAX 3 Phase Charge Limit Problem

paulas

I've recently installed 3 X PIP8048MAX in a 3 phase configuration with 150kWh of LiFePo4 storage. I have 30kW of solar panels being installed shortly, at the moment I have 4kW of panels connected to one of the inverters, and I'm using utility power to make up the rest.

I've had this running for about a week, and I've noticed that no matter what sort of battery / AC charge current limits are set, the combined output across all 3 inverters is capped at 180A including any solar input. I've had a bit of a look at the telemetry coming from the inverters, and there is a value "total_charging_current" which appears to be the combined charge current across all 3 inverters, and they appear to be negotiating to ensure this value isn't exceeded. Once I have 30kW of panels spread across the inverters, I expected to be able to push 500A in the batteries, so this is really worrying me. It doesn't make sense that they would limit parallel / 3 phase operation in this way, as it effectively means you are limited to 8kW of solar (in excess to what you can immediately consume). Even crazier when you realise that you can have up to 6 of these inverters in parallel / 3 phase.

Has anyone else come across this? I'm hoping this is some sort of anomaly happening only in bypass mode, but it does look an awful lot like a hard limit.

Thanks,

Paul

Back