diy solar

diy solar

Mpp solar question

Dutchcamper

Hello,

Currently trying to figure out what hybrid inverter is most suitable for my situation. Would love to get some suggestions, as my head starts spinning from all the conflicting info I seem to find online.

In short:

I want to be able to program my inverter so that it can switch between modes during the day depending on grid electricity prices.

For example: it should charge the battery when grid prices are low from 0:00am till 6:am. Then, from 6:00am till 10:00am it needs to supply my loads and back-feed the rest of the stored battery energy into the grid, so that it can supply loads and charge the battery again with PV power during the day. Then after, from 6:00pm till 0:00am it needs to supply loads again and fully discharge, after which the cycle starts over again.

The inverters I have come across that are able to do this, aren't suitable for DIY batterypacks it seems. MPP hybrid inverters and it's watchpower software aren't allowing this kind of programming as far as my research could tell. Or did I miss something?

Perhaps one of you knows of some brand/typ of inverter which is able to do what I'm looking for. Hope someone can help out.

Thanks a lot!

I want to be able to program my inverter so that it can switch between modes during the day depending on grid electricity prices.

For example: it should charge the battery when grid prices are low from 0:00am till 6:am. Then, from 6:00am till 10:00am it needs to supply my loads and back-feed the rest of the stored battery energy into the grid, so that it can supply loads and charge the battery again with PV power during the day. Then after, from 6:00pm till 0:00am it needs to supply loads again and fully discharge, after which the cycle starts over again.
I know this is an older thread, but...

I think back feeding from batteries to the grid would be frowned upon. I am pretty sure your provider would notice if you where charging at low rates, and back feeding at high rates. Either they would give you a flat rate credit (lower than the lowest rate you pay), or they would just not allow it. The rest of your ask can be done by MPP solar or almost any other all in on.

I know this is an older thread, but...

I think back feeding from batteries to the grid would be frowned upon. I am pretty sure your provider would notice if you where charging at low rates, and back feeding at high rates. Either they would give you a flat rate credit (lower than the lowest rate you pay), or they would just not allow it. The rest of your ask can be done by MPP solar or almost any other all in on.

Thanks for your reply! Not sure if your reasoning is correct though. You can also reason to think you're actually helping improve grid-stability by back-feeding power when demand is highest, and thus reducing peak load for a power company. There are ample of places where back-feeding during peak hours is actually welcomed, hence also the increased back-feed tariffs during these specific hours.

The rest can be done by almost any other hybrid inverter indeed, but that's why my question was specifically asking about back-feeding from batteries :)

Thanks for your reply! Not sure if your reasoning is correct though. You can also reason to think you're actually helping improve grid-stability by back-feeding power when demand is highest, and thus reducing peak load for a power company. There are ample of places where back-feeding during peak hours is actually welcomed, hence also the increased back-feed tariffs during these specific hours.
Oh, I am not arguing that it makes sense, just that financially the power company is not going to pay you top dollar for power you got from them earlier at bottom dollar. If you have some kind of fixed rate regardless of when you back-feed, I can totally see it being welcomed and encouraged.

Back