diy solar

diy solar

MPP Solar - utility charge only when inverter off?

Thorium

Model 1012MV-LS. It is plugged into utility power and battery, no solar.

When I flip the switch on the MPP Solar, so that the inverter is "on" -- the MPP solar does not charge the battery from the utility power. When I flip the switch so the inverter is "off" the battery charges off the utility power (the MPP solar screen shows this as well as the shunt).

Is this a limitation of how the MPP Solar works, or do I have some setting wrong?

Nevermind I found the answer in the manual, it is a limitation of the unit.

Answer is on page 21 of the manual, under setting 16 (charger source priority):
"If this inverter/charging is working in Battery mode or Power saving mode, only solar energy can charge battery. Solar energy will charge battery if it's available and sufficient."

So if you set 01=SBU (output source priority = solar energy first, then battery, then utility) like I had, then you can only charge from solar while the inverter is running, utility charging will only help if you turn inverter off.

Sir, I only want charging from solar, never from utility, can you carefully explain how you got that to work?

If you have utility charging enabled, then it will start charging from utility once it hits the voltage that you set it to disconnect at when grid is available. At least that's how it works with my LVX6048.

Well,
if you set Set Step 16 to OSO is only should charge from solar.

I do have a 5048 MGX, if I switch the device of, it's charging only with solar.

Sir, I only want charging from solar, never from utility, can you carefully explain how you got that to work?
Don't connect the utility input. I have mine fed via a switch so can provide it with utility input if I want but it's off most of the time.

Back