diy solar

diy solar

MPPSolar LV6048 won't use the utility input

Kick Azzzzz! Will is the man!... problems solved. I jumpered L1 to L2 and I have a single leg/single phase 120v input from a predator generator powering a ulitiliy input! Thousands of dollars and 3 days of work are saved and behind me!
I am looking at a similar setup. Wondering if it's possible to run 120v input from the generator/utl, but still have 240v split output? Really I just want to charge my batteries from the generator/util at 120v, but still have 240v output without having to reconfigure the unit. I don't think passthrough would work, but curious about 120v input charging, with 240v output available. Thanks

I am looking at a similar setup. Wondering if it's possible to run 120v input from the generator/utl, but still have 240v split output? Really I just want to charge my batteries from the generator/util at 120v, but still have 240v output without having to reconfigure the unit. I don't think passthrough would work, but curious about 120v input charging, with 240v output available. Thanks
As a practical matter, I believe the answer is no on my particular model of inverter. The only way it works in utility mode is all generator for both loads/charging while in utility mode. Technically I believe that when I am running my generator with 120v input, my inverter is still powering my subpanel with split phase 240 output. But it only is able to deliver a fraction of the output based on the 120v input. I can limp along running a fridge and using about 15amps for charging the battery. If I start to add more load it will trip the generator off.

So maybe you have a large generator and are saying I can meet the load with 6000 watts of 120v to power 6000 watts of 240v. You will need to be more knowledgeable than me to figure out if you will not overload some part of that system. What size wire from the generator to the input would you need to cover 30 amps on each inverter and 30 amps of charging. I am thinking you are asking it to deliver something like 90 amps. The problem is physically not possible and where are you getting a generator to deliver that etc?

I am a beginner and only have my field experience to go off of. I have a 6300 watt generator non-inverter with 120/240 output but I am not educated enough to connect it. I have only used a 2000 watt 120 inverter generator to test things.

I would not try to power 4000-6000watts with my current system with the jumper / 120v until I know more about it. My basic assumption is I would burn up the 12gauge jumper or trip a breaker or something…

Kick Azzzzz! Will is the man!... problems solved. I jumpered L1 to L2 and I have a single leg/single phase 120v input from a predator generator powering a ulitiliy input! Thousands of dollars and 3 days of work are saved and behind me!
I jumpered L1 to L2... How do I do this? I have a lv6548 and have been unable to hook up my generator. This is probably the problem but don't know exactly how to do it.

I can not for sure say that jumper L1/L2 will work on a LV6548, but I know it works for an LV5048/6048.

Watch Will's video and he explains it better than I ever could, around the 7:20 mark.

I jumpered L1 to L2... How do I do this? I have a lv6548 and have been unable to hook up my generator. This is probably the problem but don't know exactly how to do it.
Can you explain why you are unable to hook up your generator ? what is your configuration of the LV6548s ?

I have a new mpp solar LV6048 with bigbattery 48V 125ahs. It won't use the 120v utility input? BigBattery shipped the batteries discharged at 42.8v but I have successfully charged 1 of them with my PV 1600watts to the point where the inverter will turn on. Now my assumption is that at some point the inverter/charger will use the grid to charge the battery? My battery is still pretty low so when I connect a load I get a low voltage warning. But I assumed that the grid line in should pick up the load and the grid line in should help charge the battery! I have even set it to 01 - Utility First and 16 - CUT (Utility first). My output is wired to a breaker panel and set split phase 180 degrees. What am I doing wrong? Should I wait until the battery is fully charged, even though that defeats the purpose of utility first? When I hook up WatchPower I see LINE_FAULT in the event log.

Hello everyone I have an issue with my lv6048 inverters due to one little mistake I accidentally crossed my l1 and l2 input inside my breaker panel so I had l2 on the top of breaker and l1 on bottom of breaker
I have 3 in parallel for the 18k. So now the problem is it had blown the breaker but now without utility power hooked up it shows that I have utility power hooked up. Does anyone know of a schematic for the inside of these inverters
Not having much help with the company taking to long. Inverters are running fine and charging on pv but if batteries get to low I have no way of charging without sun at this time.

Hi. I was advised on this subject a few months ago, for the LV5048. Will's video at 7:29 may apply to yours as well.

Thanks so much for this post. I stumbled across this while trying to configure my LV6048 MPP inverter. After a couple hours of head scratching trying to get the charge circuit to engage, I came across this and watched the video. Success.

Thanks

Follow-up question for folks on the forum.
I specifically purchased the LV6048 thinking I could plug into 120V input, have 240V output, and charge my battery.
Now that I've jumpered L1 to L2, I no longer am getting 240V output, regardless of configuration settings.
Would appreciate anyone having knowledge on this responding.
Is it not possible to do what I'm trying to do? Or am I just missing something?

Thanks in advance

Back