diy solar

diy solar

MPPSolar Transfer time for Bypass to long

TheSmartGerman

Hello,

I may have a problem with my MPPSolar 5084MGX inverter: My transfer Time is way to long!

Is there any setting beside Step 03 - AC input voltage range ?

According to the manual it should by:

Transfer Time:
10ms typical (UPS)
20ms typical (Appliances)

If I simulate a load with 1kW (heatgun) and disconnect the battery and no solar power only untilty.
The inverter will need at least 1-2 Seconds to switch to bypass.

Is there any mistake in my thinking / testing?

THX

Shouldn't it be the other way around? You disconnect the grid and it transfers to battery in 10-20ms.

I would think it should be the same in either direction. When power is restored to a UPS it should switch back seamlessly Not cause a 1 to 2 second outage. Nor should the device discharge its caps first, if it does then when the battery reconnects you could have inrush issues couldn’t you?

finally, I am looking at the LVX 6048 I seem to recall it had utility load sharing. Which also suggests that if the battery is depleted the transfer to available grid should be seamless

where am I misunderstandIND?

Well, I'm not sure what's right. It's not realy stated from which power soure the transfere time to another.

In fact Unitlity / Grid is the lowerst priority. Just backup if solar and battery are not sufficiant...

How does the "famous" PIPs like 2024MS behave?

And discharging the capacitors with 1kW load shouln't take that long...

I would think it should be the same in either direction. When power is restored to a UPS it should switch back seamlessly Not cause a 1 to 2 second outage. Nor should the device discharge its caps first, if it does then when the battery reconnects you could have inrush issues couldn’t you?

finally, I am looking at the LVX 6048 I seem to recall it had utility load sharing. Which also suggests that if the battery is depleted the transfer to available grid should be seamless

How is the device to know it has lost battery until the caps are discharged?

He did not discharge the battery he disconnected it which did not give the circuitry time to change over due to a depleted battery.

Sure, if I wait for Low Battery Cut Off, it may act different.

But if the BMS cut off earlyer I will have a longer transfere time.

Well the capacitors will loose voltage instandly, after droping under a sertain threshold the inverter can switch powersource.

Sure, if I wait for Low Battery Cut Off, it may act different.

But if the BMS cut off earlyer I will have a longer transfere time.

Well the capacitors will loose voltage instandly, after droping under a sertain threshold the inverter can switch powersource.
If the inverter has no power the CPU will not have any power to do anything that is why your test will not work. BMS cut out should not happen if you set the inverter to shut down before the BMS cutoff You can not turn on a light with no power.

How is the device to know it has lost battery until the caps are discharged?
It should have a low voltage changeover setting, but you’re right if no grid is available then it would run it dry. Seeing your other reply in the fact he disconnected instead of letting it reach the low voltage level then I think you’re likely right. I had missed that detail Which is reassuring since, as I said I am seriously thinking of getting the LVX6048

When the power is restored the battery doesn't randomly disconnect like this test. Completely different scenario.

Back