diy solar

diy solar

MPPT settings swapping to LIFEPO4

mrmagica

Hi All! Read through previous posts but bowing to many of yours grand knowledge I would really appreciate someone looking over these settings. My MPPT controller came equipped for lead acid, but am looking to change these settings suitable for my new setup. These are only charged from 300W Solar panels. Setup Details:

- Controller: 30A MPPT (https://www.photonicuniverse.com/en...nels-up-to-390W-12V--780W-24V-up-to-100V.html)
- Battery Bank: EVE 3.2V x4 280AH (https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...a2756.order-detail-ta-bn-b.0.0.35f82fc2ejGkdj)
- BMS: Daly 200A (https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...a2756.order-detail-ta-bn-b.0.0.55cf2fc2vqzS7o)

Circled in red are what I believe are correct settings?

life settings2.jpg

Many thanks!

The settings on the Epever relate to the both charge control and to the load outputs. Settings related to the load outputs are shown in italics

Over volts disconnect voltage: if the battery volts exceed this , the load outputs disconnect from the load from the battery.

Charging limit voltage: if the battery volts exceed this, charging the battery from solar is stopped.

Over Voltage reconnect voltage: if the load outputs have been disconnected due to the battery exceeding over voltage, a reconnect will occur at this value.

Equalize charging voltage: this is applicable to lead acid batteries only, where a higher voltage than normal is applied for a period. Not used for lithium, set to equal to boost volts (as a safety measure) and set equalize duration to zero.

Boost charging voltage: the controller will charge the battery at maximum power from the solar panels, bulk charge, until this value is reached. At all times before this 'target' voltage is reached the maximum power control process will will try to 'pull' maximum power from the panels.

Float charging voltage: once the boost duration at constant voltage has been completed, the controller will hold a constant float voltage at the battery.

Boost reconnect charging voltage: once the unit is in float mode the voltage may vary due to solar conditions and any load on the battery, if the battery voltage falls below this value the controller re enters the bulk boost stage.

Low voltage reconnect voltage: if the load outputs have been disconnected due to a low battery, this voltage is the turn on value.

Under voltage warning reconnect voltage: warning turned off at this voltage.

Under voltage warning voltage: warning set at this voltage.

Low voltage disconnect voltage: load outputs are disconnected from the battery at this voltage.

Discharging limit voltage: other than issuing a warning at the set voltage the stand alone unit cannot do anything about this.

Equalize Duration: the time duration for the equalisation process, only applies to lead acid batteries. Set to zero for lithium.

Boost Duration: once the battery voltage reaches the target voltage, boost voltage, the controller holds the voltage constant for the boost duration.

For your batteries charging at a low current, less than 30 amps, (typically 20 amps on a good day), compared to battery capacity of 280 Ah, the batteries will be fully charged by the time the boost volts level is reached. Thus a long boost duration in not required.

(The equalise settings are for lead acid are not needed for lithium, set the value equal to boost volts with a duration of zero)

My recommendation would be, (note these 4 settings determine the charge process)
Boost charging voltage: 13.8 to 14.2 volts, 14.0 is a low stress value.
Float charging voltage: 13.3 to 13.5, the resting voltage of the charged battery or slightly lower, try 13.4 v.
Boost reconnect charging voltage: 0.1 to 0.2 volts lower than the float value.
Boost Duration : zero or 15 minutes.

Mike

I provided a few links to address a similar question earlier today over here. Worth a read through to get a general idea of the what and the why and the how if you are new to LFP.

thankyou very kindly for this - so many settings its quite over whelming - very kind of you! Having looked further online i wonder if this Daly 200A BMS is junk, alot of complaints about it....I guess i'll give it a try and hope it works out well in my camper!

The settings on the Epever relate to the both charge control and to the load outputs. Settings related to the load outputs are shown in italics

Over volts disconnect voltage: if the battery volts exceed this , the load outputs disconnect from the load from the battery.

Charging limit voltage: if the battery volts exceed this, charging the battery from solar is stopped.

Over Voltage reconnect voltage: if the load outputs have been disconnected due to the battery exceeding over voltage, a reconnect will occur at this value.

Equalize charging voltage: this is applicable to lead acid batteries only, where a higher voltage than normal is applied for a period. Not used for lithium, set to equal to boost volts (as a safety measure) and set equalize duration to zero.

Boost charging voltage: the controller will charge the battery at maximum power from the solar panels, bulk charge, until this value is reached. At all times before this 'target' voltage is reached the maximum power control process will will try to 'pull' maximum power from the panels.

Float charging voltage: once the boost duration at constant voltage has been completed, the controller will hold a constant float voltage at the battery.

Boost reconnect charging voltage: once the unit is in float mode the voltage may vary due to solar conditions and any load on the battery, if the battery voltage falls below this value the controller re enters the bulk boost stage.

Low voltage reconnect voltage: if the load outputs have been disconnected due to a low battery, this voltage is the turn on value.

Under voltage warning reconnect voltage: warning turned off at this voltage.

Under voltage warning voltage: warning set at this voltage.

Low voltage disconnect voltage: load outputs are disconnected from the battery at this voltage.

Discharging limit voltage: other than issuing a warning at the set voltage the stand alone unit cannot do anything about this.

Equalize Duration: the time duration for the equalisation process, only applies to lead acid batteries. Set to zero for lithium.

Boost Duration: once the battery voltage reaches the target voltage, boost voltage, the controller holds the voltage constant for the boost duration.

For your batteries charging at a low current, less than 30 amps, (typically 20 amps on a good day), compared to battery capacity of 280 Ah, the batteries will be fully charged by the time the boost volts level is reached. Thus a long boost duration in not required.

(The equalise settings are for lead acid are not needed for lithium, set the value equal to boost volts with a duration of zero)

My recommendation would be, (note these 4 settings determine the charge process)
Boost charging voltage: 13.8 to 14.2 volts, 14.0 is a low stress value.
Float charging voltage: 13.3 to 13.5, the resting voltage of the charged battery or slightly lower, try 13.4 v.
Boost reconnect charging voltage: 0.1 to 0.2 volts lower than the float value.
Boost Duration : zero or 15 minutes.

Mike

thankyou! I did actually see this thread and jotted down the values from it, but wanted to post up exact readings from my software to see if anything was totally amiss!

I provided a few links to address a similar question earlier today over here. Worth a read through to get a general idea of the what and the why and the how if you are new to LFP.

Back