diy solar

diy solar

Mppt solar charge controller

Phil50

I am new to all this and confused about charge controllers. I've been reading but it's just not clear

If I have a 100/20 controller does that mean I have to ensure that my solar panel array is configured in such a way that the output from the panels is no more than 100 volts and 20 amps coming into the controller

OR

Does it mean that the controllers output will be restricted to 100volts and 20 amps regardless of what is coming in from the panels

OR

Does it mean something completely different

I am new to all this and confused about charge controllers. I've been reading but it's just not clear

If I have a 100/20 controller does that mean I have to ensure that my solar panel array is configured in such a way that the output from the panels is no more than 100 volts and 20 amps coming into the controller

OR

Does it mean that the controllers output will be restricted to 100volts and 20 amps regardless of what is coming in from the panels

OR

Does it mean something completely different
It's kind of both solar panel array config and mppt size ties with battery voltage.

You are restricted to 100 volts input adjusted for temperature and 20 amps output at battery voltage. Mppt usually handle over a little on input watts. The overages at peak hours is not realized.

You are restricted to 100 volts input adjusted for temperature and 20 amps output at battery voltage. Mppt usually handle over a little on input watts. The overages at peak hours is not realized.
OK. In this case, so long as I keep the input from the panels below 100v I don't need to be concerned about input current. The controller will be able to handle it.

Is that correct???

The battery bank uses 100ah batteries so 20 or 30 Amp output from the controller would be alright

OK. In this case, so long as I keep the input from the panels below 100v I don't need to be concerned about input current. The controller will be able to handle it.

Is that correct???

The battery bank uses 100ah batteries so 20 or 30 Amp output from the controller would be alright
What is your battery voltage? 12V? 24V 48V? Also what is your panel name plate? how many panels u plan to use?

What is your battery voltage? 12V? 24V 48V? Also what is your panel name plate? how many panels u plan to use?
This is all just theoretical. I am trying to work out a probllem

The solar panel array is 10 panels making 4500 Watts. The battery bank is 48v. I don't know what you mean by the panel name plate

The solar panel array is 10 panels making 4500 Watts. The battery bank is 48v. I don't know what you mean by the panel name plate
What is the Voc, Vmax of the panel? Imax, Isc

^^This. Over-volting your controller with PV volts will smoke it.
The controller will use whatever it can get from the PV array and output 12volt charging current (or 48V or whatever your charge controller is configured for).

If there's a little more current available it simply doesn't use it. This is called 'over-paneling' - and the benefit is early and late and winter angles where you gain a little. You might not be able to use the peak mid-summer mid-day.

mppt 100V/20A won't be handled your 4500W and 48V battery. Rough calculation = 4500/48=93A, your mppt is rated 20A output. Plus 450W panel is at least 45V. You have ten panels. You need to have bigger mppt. Or your mppt will smoke. Winter and Summer will make a difference too.

^^This. Over-volting your controller with PV volts will smoke it.
The controller will use whatever it can get from the PV array and output 12volt charging current (or 48V or whatever your charge controller is configured for).

If there's a little more current available it simply doesn't use it. This is called 'over-paneling' - and the benefit is early and late and winter angles where you gain a little. You might not be able to use the peak mid-summer mid-day.
I am getting mixed understandings from the replies of the controller input requirements.

Is it correct to say that a 100/20 controller needs solar panel inputs less than 100v and a current at or slightly over 20 amps.

So 30amps would be OK but 90amps could be harmful?

I am getting mixed understandings from the replies of the controller input requirements.

Is it correct to say that a 100/20 controller needs solar panel inputs less than 100v and a current at or slightly over 20 amps.

So 30amps would be OK but 90amps could be harmful?

Yes on the former, no on the latter.
The amps rating for the controller is the maximum output at the set voltage. A 20A controller will not output more than 20A, period.

You size your controller, (or PV array) so that Voc with temp adjustment is less than your controller limit.
If your panels are able to provide more current than the rated 20A, it will simply be unused.

Kind of like plugging a 100W light bulb into a 1800W outlet - it will still only draw 100W.

So a 100/20 solar controller has a maximum input voltage of 100V, and will output a maximum of 20A current.
Some controller manufacturers report a maximum panel wattage when over-paneling - some don't support over-paneling, like Victron.

Also, panel output ratings are under ideal solar conditions, at 68 degrees. Most panels aren't able to put out their full potential for any number of environmental reasons. PV cells also degrade output at higher temperatures, and output more in very cold temperatures. A 15% allowance for cold temps is generally recommended. So if your panel Voc is 41V and you have two panels in series, you have the potential to supply your charge controller with 82V, and if it's below freezing, then add 15% = up to 94.3V. Within your charge controller specs. Now if you tried to connect 3 of those panels in series you would over-volt your controller. So then two pairs - 2S-2P might make more sense. Or opt for a 150V controller.

You're charging a 48V battery bank?
Your panels have a spec label on their back with all of the rated outputs.

I have seen several people with questions about this, so I will try to explain the details.

In your case, you said 4500 watts for 10 panels, that is not enough information to figure this out. You need the VOC, VMP, ISC, and IMP and the voltage temp coefficient also helps. 450 watt panels are most likely 72 cell units. But they still vary a bit from there. And some companies are also making 96 cell panels. I just looked up a Canadian Solar brand 72 cell panel at just 390 watts, and it has a VOC of 46.8 volts at 25C. This may be a problem.

MPPT charge controllers use a DC to DC buck converter to match the solar panel voltage to the battery voltage. This can cause some confusion about the input and output relationship.

When choosing a charge controller and solar panels, you want to ensure that the voltage from the solar panels will never exceed the maximum input voltage of the charge controller. You have to use the VOC voltage, and then add to that if the temperature can get cold. A safe rule of thumb is allow 20% over the 25C VOC voltage. If the panels are rated at 40 volts VOC, and you have a 100 volt controller, you can run 2 panels in series for 80 volts, and have room to spare. If you are in an area that gets very cold, you may have to do the math on the panels to be sure you are safe. My panels have a temp coefficient of 0.38 % per degree C. You can find this number of the spec sheet. If the temperature gets down to -15C that is 40C colder than the spec VOC voltage. 40 x .38 = 15.2% voltage increase. 40 x 1.152 = 46.08 volts. 2 panels in series is then 92.16, so still safe on the 100 volt controller. But a 72 cell panel at 46.8 volts at 25C is already closer at the base temperature. If it gains even 10% in the cold, 2 in series goes over 100 volts and could fry the charge controller. That 10% increase pushes a pair of panels to 102.96 volts.

On the current, side, the limit is usually on the output. As the buck converter lowers the voltage to the battery, the current increases. The 20 amp controller into a 48 volt battery bank will only be able to charge at about 1,000 watts. 50 volts x 20 amps. My "48 volt" battery voltage ranges from 50 to 57 volts.

Most charge controllers can handle more panel on the input, but it just won't be able to use it. Some are limited to 50% or 100% over rated output watts. So 2,000 watts of panels can go on a 1,000 watt charge controller. It will max out at only putting 1,000 watts into the battery bank, but there is still some benefit to over paneling. It will start charging earlier, hit the maximum 1,000 watts much sooner, flat line at the charge controller limit for a couple hours, and keep charging longer. If you have a limited charge current, this is a way to still get more power into the batteries by having it work a longer time. You can also put panels aimed a bit east and panels aimed a bit west in parallel. This will extend the time even longer.

With 4,500 watts of panels, you will want more charge controller capacity. 75 to 100 amps into the battery would be good. But you have to watch to make sure the battery can handle all the charge current. While many lithium batteries can take 1C charge rate, most lead acid types are 0.2C or less. A typical RV/Marine deep cycle battery can only take 0.1C

On the input side, it is more about the watts because of the higher voltage. That 100/20 controller will only pull about 10 amps max while charging a 48 volt battery at 20 amps. Because of how MPPT searching works, it will occasionally pull more current to find the maximum power point. So they don't want way too much current available from the solar panels. About 1.5 to 2 times the output wattage is typically safe. But again, check the spec sheet. Many charge controller will list the maximum input power, and it will be different for 12/24/48 volt systems. In the case of 48 volts on a 20 amp controller, the input power limit is probably about 2,000 watts.

Back