diy solar

diy solar

MPPT sticks at 60 volts

Bobert

Solar Enthusiast
I have a powmr 48v 3500 watt all in one hybrid inverter. The MPPT solar charger tends to get stuck at 60v if the solar array is connected to it when the sun comes up. Once the sun is up disconnecting and reconnecting the solar charger resets it and then the maximum power point will be discovered, Improving my solar input by as much as %50. For example if it’s charging at 1000 watts 60 volts and I turn off the solar array and turn it back on in a few minutes it will produce over 1400 watts at nearly 90 volts. Is this a glitch in the controller? Or do I have something setup incorrectly?

That is a very common problem with MPPT controllers. Obviously, you are experiencing some shading early on causing the panel to go into bypass. If you plotted the array PVI curves there would be a second lower region power hump. Your controller only searches around its present power point hump and doesn't do a complete scan. I have that problem in my system which encounters shade conditions and a high current demand. It can drop down to 18V on a 60V array. I have a little circuit that disconnects the array when the voltage drops below 40V for more than 10 seconds. Some charge controllers actually mention not to have an array more than 2X battery voltage. I'd work on your serious shading condition. Finding power point isn't free. There is quick and dirty or waste power trying to find the real one.

That is a very common problem with MPPT controllers. Obviously, you are experiencing some shading early on causing the panel to go into bypass. If you plotted the array PVI curves there would be a second lower region power hump. Your controller only searches around its present power point hump and doesn't do a complete scan. I have that problem in my system which encounters shade conditions and a high current demand. It can drop down to 18V on a 60V array. I have a little circuit that disconnects the array when the voltage drops below 40V for more than 10 seconds. Some charge controllers actually mention not to have an array more than 2X battery voltage. I'd work on your serious shading condition. Finding power point isn't free. There is quick and dirty or waste power trying to find the real one.
I actually have no shade but my array is laying flat on the ground ( raised 8” by cement blocks) during the fall it takes 1 to 2 hours after daybreak for the sun to hit the panels at an angle that produces meaningful power. I am hopeful the problem will be lessened when I get the panels up on the roof of the camper. I expect summer conditions to be more favorable.

Back