diy solar

diy solar

MPPT Wiring question

AndyRonLI

Solar Enthusiast
Just to verify.. If I am doing an RV install where I already have a 12V panel connected to my 12V battery and 12V shore power converter, I DO NOT use the "Load" output from the MPPT (Say a renogy rover) at all. I simply connect the "Battery" output to the battery. Load would only be for some loads intended to be solar only and not connected to the battery. Is that correct?

No, the 'Load' (small load, and not meant for load with high inrush current such as Inverter) terminal is connected through a controlled electronics switch to the battery, the switch can be program to disconnect the power to the load if the battery goes too low or too high, you can also set the time when you want the load to get power and when to turn off.

So why is there a battery port and a load port?
The battery one is rated at 40 amp and says connect to battery and the load one is rated at 10 amps and says connect to load

Do not need to use the load output at all, but could for lower amp things. I would take the one labeled battery and hook it up to a busbar to distribute the power elsewhere. Here is one of mine:
1634768283845.png
If you are only using this to charge your battery with no AC Inverter, hooking to the battery would be fine.

The few solar builds I've done, the only time I did connect the battery directly to the battery was when I used the SCC for Battery charging. Every other time I used a busbar in between.

So for example, I have loads in my RV that are larger than 10 amps. If I turn a few lights on that's 4 -6 amps, and then when the propane heater blower motor comes on at 9 amps, that 13+ amps exceeds the loads output. Very few SCCs I've looked at give a rating for the load output.

Last edited:
On my setup the battery is for battery the solar is for panels and the load i programed to turn out door led lights when the sun goes down and off when it comes up. the power on load terminals is fed from the battery.

Last edited:
So why is there a battery port and a load port?
The battery one is rated at 40 amp and says connect to battery and the load one is rated at 10 amps and says connect to load
The load port is for light duty load up to 10A which gets the power from batteries through the electronics switch inside the SCC, if you do have heavy load such as Inverter then you hook up heavy load to the battery through proper fuse or circuit breaker.
The battery port is how the battery gets the charging current (up to 40A for 40A model) from the charge controller.

Last edited:
Back