diy solar

diy solar

MT-50

Dennis 1

Hi all, Right now I have a 40 amp MPPT Epever Tracer 4215BN and with it came a MT-50 and I want to add another charge controller the same as the one I have. My question is do I need another MT-50 monitor or will the one I have be good enough? thanks for any help.

Depends on what you want to do. The display is not required for the controller to work after you've configured it.

If you want to watch realtime data from both at the same time a second MT50 (or some other interface like PC or maybe BT/wifi dongle) will be needed. If you are happy with the controllers' present configuration and performance you could "set it and forget it" and move the MT50 cable from one to the other when you want to reconfig something.

Another MT50 can be ordered from the mainland on slow boat for as little as $25 shipped if you decide to go that route.

Depends on what you want to do. The display is not required for the controller to work after you've configured it.

If you want to watch realtime data from both at the same time a second MT50 (or some other interface like PC or maybe BT/wifi dongle) will be needed. If you are happy with the controllers' present configuration and performance you could "set it and forget it" and move the MT50 cable from one to the other when you want to reconfig something.

Another MT50 can be ordered from the mainland on slow boat for as little as $25 shipped if you decide to go that route.
Thanks!!!! I have been looking for this answer :)

I use one between 2 controllers. I only plug it in to configure the controllers.
Good to know this. So following up, simply plug mt50 into CC #1, set parameters (saved successfully) then unplug it, and plug it into CC #2, and do the same? Once parameters have been saved(successfully) on both, you could really just unplug it all together? Is it necessary to scroll to the main home or "monitoring" screen prior to pulling the plug from one to the other? Am I correct in assuming the mt50 saves nothing, holds nothing, and can't transfer any settings from 1 CC to the other? It's dumb, and only reports whatever it's fed by the cc?

Once parameters have been saved(successfully) on both, you could really just unplug it all together?
Yes. It's just a remote interface/display.

There is a doodad (SPP-01, SPP02) that can read/store settings and can inject them into other controllers but I have never used or seen them. One could also use the PC software for that kind of thing. Maybe the wifi/bt app, but I haven't played with those much and the app is not on par with better apps from folks like Victron.

You can use a cheap ethernet A/B switch to toggle the MT50 between the 2 SCCs for convenience. You'll need 3 total cables. Any ethernet cables should work fine.

Back