diy solar

diy solar

MT50 creating HI problem with the inverter

mvrace4ever

Hello all and Will. I basically purchased all the items from Will's website's links (including the book). Here is the system I put together:
2 used 250W solar panels (what a deal!)
They are connected to the EPEVER 40 Amp MPPT Solar Charge Controller
I have 2 LFP-12V-200Ah batteries connected in series to create the 24V system
I got the Giandel 2000W inverter
I have the Renogy Battery Monitor
Also purchased the MT50 too

I followed Will's wiring and set-up instructions to the letter. The system worked FLAWLESSLY for about 2 weeks... but then in really sunny days it started creating a HI alarm on the inverter resulting on a complete shutdown of it. Looks like the Solar Charge Controller is sending too much power to the inverter 28.5V and I have no idea how to fix that... the MT50 does not let me lower some values...

Thanks for taking the time... hope to get some help!

Attachments

• Mobile solar setup.jpg
    Mobile solar setup.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 8
When changing values with the MT50 the voltage values must follow the rules, this is explained on page 20 of the MT 50instructions.

I suggest,
equalize charging voyage and boost charging 27.6 volts
float charging voltage 27.0 volts
boost reconnect 26.8 volts
equalize duration 0
absorption duration 15 min

The above control the charging.

With the other values use 2 x the table values for a 24 volt system ( most or the values relate to the load terminals that you are not using), except the value for charging limit voltage, set this to 29 volts.

Mike (I hate EPever controllers!!)

Hi. From the picture, you've got an EP-EVER Tracer 4215BN - which is a fairly good machine (IMO better than the "AN" controllers, although limited to less current than some models of "AN"). The MT-50 is probably refusing to set a value which is as low as you need, because the lower value which you want would break one of their five programming rules:

a. Over Voltage Disconnect Voltage > Charging Limit Voltage ≥ Equalize Charging Voltage ≥ Boost Charging Voltage ≥ Float Charging Voltage > Boost Reconnect Charging Voltage.

b. Over Voltage Disconnect Voltage > Over Voltage Reconnect Voltage.

c. Low Voltage Reconnect Voltage > Low Voltage Disconnect Voltage ≥ Discharging Limit Voltage.

d. Under Voltage Warning Reconnect Voltage > Under Voltage Warning Voltage ≥ Discharging Limit Voltage.

e. Boost Reconnect Charging voltage > Low Voltage Disconnect Voltage.

Most likely, your settings problem occurs via rule (a). You cannot set "charging limit voltage" properly until AFTER you have reduced 'Equalize (to either zero or the same value as "Boost"), and you cannot reduce "Boost" until after you have set "Float" and "Boost Reconnect."

The MT-50 does not offer to set these values in the required order of increasing voltages, so you must loop through the setting routine multiple times (setting and saving the lower values first, then going back in to set the next higher value). It offers to set the higher limits first - you must skip over those and reduce the LATER and "too high" values first, then go back to set the parameter which you want to reduce.

You are maybe trying to set "Charging Limit Voltage" before having set "Equalize" low enough, or before setting "Boost" below your desired "Charging Limit Voltage". And "Boost Reconnect" must be distinctly less than "Float", although the MT-50 asks for Float first.

No feedback from the original poster ! I have had the same problem with the identical hardware and system voltage as above. Thanks to mikefitz & rickst29, I've managed to get the MT50 to take some values where it wouldn't before. But, I don't understand why the 'HI' alarm from my Giandel. This from the Giandel manual: "The inverter will automatically shut down when the input DC voltage is higher than 16V/32V...and display screen will show HI". The OP reported his Giandel was shutting down at 28.5V; it shouldn't have been shutting down at that point, right?. When my inverter shutdown, I didn't notice what the voltage was, unfortunately. BTW, Battleborn recommends boost/float charge to be 29.2V/27.2V, with a boost reconnect of 26.6V. All consistent with the EPEVER defaults for 'user' battery settings. There are no charging settings near 32V in any EPEVER battery profile except over voltage disconnect (32V). I've reset that parameter to the Battleborn recommendation of 29.4V

So, the changes I made to the 'user' profile are: Reduce boost charge from 29.2 to 27.6 and reduce over voltage disconnect from 32V to 29.4V I'll try to give an update after I run the system for awhile to see if the 'HI' alarm comes back. I'd appreciate any comment from the experts. Thanks!

I asked Giandel about the HI shutdown code. Their response:

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Hello Robert,
Thank you for contacting our Giandel support team.
Are your batteries LifePo4 batteries?

We think that it is relative to the Lifepo4 battery and the solar charger controller.
According to your issue, first of all, the LifePo4 battery has BMS protection function, the working range of this LifePo4 battery is 20-29.2V, and its high voltage protection voltage is relatively low, only 28-29.2V. Therefore, we infer that the battery enters the protection state and automatically shuts down after the solar panel voltage is higher than 28-29.2V. (Another reason is that the battery overheats and shuts down) . At this time, the solar panel may still be supplying power (that is to say, it has become a situation of solar panel direct supply to inverter), and the input voltage of the solar panel is too high. And then this HI situation occurs.

And the other possibility:
The charging device(solar controller) that charges the battery will have the phenomenon that the charging voltage is too high, and the inverter's input over voltage protection fault will be triggered (the inverter display "HI"). This will affect the inverter working. If similar phenomenon is occurred, please disconnect the charging device(solar controller), and then the inverter will work normally.

Or please try to set your controller's high voltage protection(overcharging disconnect) to 29V.

Hope my answer can help you.
Sincerely waiting for your update.

Regards,
Elsa
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Yes, I'm using 4 Battleborn LifePo4 in a series/parallel config for a 24V system. So, Elsa gives several possibilities. I've reduced over voltage disconnect somewhat and am waiting for a sunny day here in Central Virginia to see the result. More to follow...

I asked Giandel about the HI shutdown code. Their response:

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Hello Robert,
Thank you for contacting our Giandel support team.
Are your batteries LifePo4 batteries?

We think that it is relative to the Lifepo4 battery and the solar charger controller.
According to your issue, first of all, the LifePo4 battery has BMS protection function, the working range of this LifePo4 battery is 20-29.2V, and its high voltage protection voltage is relatively low, only 28-29.2V. Therefore, we infer that the battery enters the protection state and automatically shuts down after the solar panel voltage is higher than 28-29.2V. (Another reason is that the battery overheats and shuts down) . At this time, the solar panel may still be supplying power (that is to say, it has become a situation of solar panel direct supply to inverter), and the input voltage of the solar panel is too high. And then this HI situation occurs.

And the other possibility:
The charging device(solar controller) that charges the battery will have the phenomenon that the charging voltage is too high, and the inverter's input over voltage protection fault will be triggered (the inverter display "HI"). This will affect the inverter working. If similar phenomenon is occurred, please disconnect the charging device(solar controller), and then the inverter will work normally.

Or please try to set your controller's high voltage protection(overcharging disconnect) to 29V.

Hope my answer can help you.
Sincerely waiting for your update.

Regards,
Elsa
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Yes, I'm using 4 Battleborn LifePo4 in a series/parallel config for a 24V system. So, Elsa gives several possibilities. I've reduced over voltage disconnect somewhat and am waiting for a sunny day here in Central Virginia to see the result. More to follow...
No further problems with the inverter shutting down with a 'Hi' error code. Thanks for suggestions above.
RDL

When changing values with the MT50 the voltage values must follow the rules, this is explained on page 20 of the MT 50instructions.

I suggest,
equalize charging voyage and boost charging 27.6 volts
float charging voltage 27.0 volts
boost reconnect 26.8 volts
equalize duration 0
absorption duration 15 min

The above control the charging.

With the other values use 2 x the table values for a 24 volt system ( most or the values relate to the load terminals that you are not using), except the value for charging limit voltage, set this to 29 volts.

Mike (I hate EPever controllers!!)
Thanks Mike... after all this time I finally found the place where I posted. I did follow your advice and everything worked properly. Until the EPever failed and never turned on again. I always remembered your comment "(I hate EPever controllers!!)". I am about to do another similar project and if you can PLEASE recommend a better controller for a 24V system it will be very much appreciated. Thanks for your help!

Back