diy solar

diy solar

MT50 Issues, Not able to set some parameters

Al Slitter

Trying to learn something new every day!
Greetings All, I am having an issue with MT50 controller connected to my Tracer-4215 BN, the issue is getting some of the values to work or rather be set inside the controller. I have been able to set the time and date as well as the optional light feature. In addition I have been able to set the Temperature Coefficient and the battery to 12 volts. My battery consists of 4-cells LiFePo4 cells in series thus giving 12 volts and 200Ahs.

Will Prowse had recommended that someone like me would be well to use the following parameters.
He advises using a charge limit of 13.3 Volts
13.2 Volts for the Float value.
Low voltage disconnect 12.0 Volts

This is what I want to do but every time I try and change one of these values I get and error message. I have looked at many videos and have tried different solutions but none of them have allowed me o make the changes that I need.
I am sure that there is someone out there who has battled through this and has a solution that works.

The Epever works as follows,

When it wakes up it charges at the maximum power the panel can give until the battery volts equal Boost Volts.
It then holds the battery at a constant voltage, the boost volts, for the Boost duration
At the end of Boost duration, the voltage drops to Float Voltage
If the battery volts drop below Boost reconnect volts, it starts the charge cycle again.

The settings on the Epever relate to the both charge control and to the load outputs. Settings related to the load outputs are shown in italics

Over volts disconnect voltage: if the battery volts exceed this , the load outputs disconnect from the load from the battery.
Charging limit voltage: if the battery volts exceed this, charging the battery from solar is stopped.
Over Voltage reconnect voltage: if the load outputs have been disconnected due to the battery exceeding over voltage, a reconnect will occur at this value.
Equalize charging voltage: this is applicable to lead acid batteries only, where a higher voltage than normal is applied for a period. Not used for lithium, set to equal to boost volts (as a safety measure) and set equalize duration to zero.
Boost charging voltage: the controller will charge the battery at maximum power from the solar panels, bulk charge, until this value is reached. At all times before this 'target' voltage is reached the maximum power control process will will try to 'pull' maximum power from the panels.
Float charging voltage: once the boost duration at constant voltage has been completed, the controller will hold a constant float voltage at the battery.
Boost reconnect charging voltage: once the unit is in float mode the voltage may vary due to solar conditions and any load on the battery, if the battery voltage falls below this value the controller re enters the bulk boost stage.
Low voltage reconnect voltage: if the load outputs have been disconnected due to a low battery, this voltage is the turn on value.
Under voltage warning reconnect voltage: warning turned off at this voltage.
Under voltage warning voltage: warning set at this voltage.
Low voltage disconnect voltage: load outputs are disconnected from the battery at this voltage.
Discharging limit voltage: other than issuing a warning at the set voltage the stand alone unit cannot do anything about this.

Equalize Duration: the time duration for the equalization process, only applies to lead acid batteries. Set to zero for lithium.
Boost Duration: once the battery voltage reaches the target voltage, boost voltage, the controller holds the voltage constant for the boost duration.

Once you have the MT50 its possible to easily change perameters under User settings

For lithium you dont need temperature compensation so set this to 0 mV/deg

The important values for charging are :
Boost charging voltage, set to 13.8v as a low stress value for a hobby system.
Float charging voltage,
set to a value lower than 13.4 volts , say 13.2 for a hobby system. If you have an application where you wish to power loads during the solar day, a higher value will be more suitable, 13.5 to 13.6 volts.
Boost reconnect charging voltage, set 0.1 volts lower than float voltage.
Boost Duration, set to zero or a low time 15 minutes.

All other settings relate to the load outputs.

Mike

The Epever works as follows,

When it wakes up it charges at the maximum power the panel can give until the battery volts equal Boost Volts.
It then holds the battery at a constant voltage, the boost volts, for the Boost duration
At the end of Boost duration, the voltage drops to Float Voltage
If the battery volts drop below Boost reconnect volts, it starts the charge cycle again.

The settings on the Epever relate to the both charge control and to the load outputs. Settings related to the load outputs are shown in italics

Over volts disconnect voltage: if the battery volts exceed this , the load outputs disconnect from the load from the battery.
Charging limit voltage: if the battery volts exceed this, charging the battery from solar is stopped.
Over Voltage reconnect voltage: if the load outputs have been disconnected due to the battery exceeding over voltage, a reconnect will occur at this value.
Equalize charging voltage: this is applicable to lead acid batteries only, where a higher voltage than normal is applied for a period. Not used for lithium, set to equal to boost volts (as a safety measure) and set equalize duration to zero.
Boost charging voltage: the controller will charge the battery at maximum power from the solar panels, bulk charge, until this value is reached. At all times before this 'target' voltage is reached the maximum power control process will will try to 'pull' maximum power from the panels.
Float charging voltage: once the boost duration at constant voltage has been completed, the controller will hold a constant float voltage at the battery.
Boost reconnect charging voltage: once the unit is in float mode the voltage may vary due to solar conditions and any load on the battery, if the battery voltage falls below this value the controller re enters the bulk boost stage.
Low voltage reconnect voltage: if the load outputs have been disconnected due to a low battery, this voltage is the turn on value.
Under voltage warning reconnect voltage: warning turned off at this voltage.
Under voltage warning voltage: warning set at this voltage.
Low voltage disconnect voltage: load outputs are disconnected from the battery at this voltage.
Discharging limit voltage: other than issuing a warning at the set voltage the stand alone unit cannot do anything about this.

Equalize Duration: the time duration for the equalization process, only applies to lead acid batteries. Set to zero for lithium.
Boost Duration: once the battery voltage reaches the target voltage, boost voltage, the controller holds the voltage constant for the boost duration.

Once you have the MT50 its possible to easily change perameters under User settings

For lithium you dont need temperature compensation so set this to 0 mV/deg

The important values for charging are :
Boost charging voltage, set to 13.8v as a low stress value for a hobby system.
Float charging voltage,
set to a value lower than 13.4 volts , say 13.2 for a hobby system. If you have an application where you wish to power loads during the solar day, a higher value will be more suitable, 13.5 to 13.6 volts.
Boost reconnect charging voltage, set 0.1 volts lower than float voltage.
Boost Duration, set to zero or a low time 15 minutes.

All other settings relate to the load outputs.

Mike
Hello Mike, thank you for the detailed description regarding the setting up of the MT50 controller.
The information that you provided is very helpful in understanding the functions of this controller.
However my current issue is in getting the MT50 that I purchased to take the voltage changes that I need for my system.
For some reason when I try to change these values I get a error message.
I will be going at it again today in n attempt to have the changes stick.

Some changes did work and where saved.
Changing to a User defined parameter.
Changing Temperature compensation to 0 worked.
Setting up the night light setting to automatic based on solar voltage.
Setting up the date and time worked.

However when trying o set up the charging and disconnect parameters the
MT50 failed to do that and gave me a error message.
Thoughts please?????

I tackled my system again and managed to change a few values.
I have given below the values that exsist on my MT50 as of this writting along with the descriptions.

16.0V Over voltage Disconnect (Para, Error)
15.0 Charge Limit (Para, Error)

13.2V Over voltage Reconnect (Para, Error)
13.4V Equalization Charge (Can Change)

13.4V Boost charge (Can Change)
13.3V Float Charge (Can Change)

13.2V Boost Rec. (Can Change)
12.6V Low Voltage Reconnect (Can Change)

12.5V Under Voltage Rect. (Can Change)
12.0 Under Voltage Warning (Can Change)

12.5 Low Voltage Disconnect (Can Change)
12.0 Discharge Limit (Can Change)

0.0V Equalization Time (Can Change)
15 minutes Boost time

As can be seen there are 3 areas that I need to change and they are:
16.0V Over voltage Disconnect (Para, Error)
15.0 Charge Limit (Para, Error)
13.2V Over voltage Reconnect (Para, Error)

Can anyone give me suggestions of what to do???
My simple shop system specifications are:
Charge limit of 13.3 Volts

Thank you
Al

Last edited:
Do you get the same result if you use the front panel buttons of the EPEVER to make the change?

You have to stick to certain rules when setting the parameters.

The main issue I ran into was keeping the boost reconnect higher than to LV reconnect

Attachments

• cappy1.PNG
    cappy1.PNG
    167.9 KB · Views: 28
The unit I have is a Tracer-4215 BN-

Attachments

• IMG_2457.JPG
    IMG_2457.JPG
    499.5 KB · Views: 4
OK, I seem to have found the problem with changing some values on the MT50 that I have.
There is some sort of issue relating to the MT50 it seems as though the OK button does not work well.
Even using the password (000000) gets rejected sometime and then at other time it works sometime on the
second or third attempt.
What I have found that works is holding down the OK button for several second and in most cases the unit will then save the value.

I suspect that the "OK" buttons contact points are not aligned properly. This is not worth replacing the MT50, but rather just
adjusting my procedures to make it work. Once set I do not have to make adjustmens again until things change.

Hello everyone,

To program a 42BN tracer with the MT50 and Life po4 280Ah batteries, it is possible to change

the software by that of an AN tracer: software version SV200?

Thank you

Bonjour à tous,
Pour programmer un tracer 42BN avec le MT50 et batteries Life po4 280Ah, est il possible de changer
le soft par celui d'un tracer AN : software version SV200 ?
Merci

To do away with 42BN, MT50 and Lifepo4, EPEVER said this to me, which sounds like "you got tricked!"

Thank you for contacting me.
I have went through your email, but sadlly the TracerBN series solar charge controller does not have lithium battery selection:(

Sorry for that.
Please consider of TracerAN or Xtra series in future which all have lithium selection.

Best regards

Melody Zhu/朱书燕
International Sales

To do away with 42BN, MT50 and Lifepo4, EPEVER said this to me, which sounds like "you got tricked!"

Thank you for contacting me.
I have went through your email, but sadlly the TracerBN series solar charge controller does not have lithium battery selection
Not a trick. The controller does not have a lithium preset. Lithium-friendly setpoints are configured under the USER profile.

Hello,

Thank you for your answer.

however, EPEVER should have clearly answered which parameters to apply in the USER section,

and with its values.

Bonjour,
merci pour ta réponse.
pour autant mais EPEVER aurait du répondre clairement quels étaient les paramètres à appliquer dans la section USER,
et avec ses valeurs.

There is a sequencing to your programing of the mt50, some values cannot be set higher or lower until others are set. I have 3 of the mt50s. In the user settings, all values can be set per users needs but there is a protocol process.

There is a sequencing to your programing of the mt50, some values cannot be set higher or lower until others are set. I have 3 of the mt50s.

I use one MT-50 with a couple of EPEVERS just because I’m frugal. After I change values I don’t need the MT-50 to monitor in my application. Just another approach.

EPEVER should have clearly answered which parameters to apply in the USER section, and with its values.

No. the battery manufacturer specifies the charging specs. The user takes those specs and plugs them into the USER profile. If you need button-by-button guidance see this article by Battle Born, which was the first hit returned when I searched for relevant information.

I use one MT-50 with a couple of EPEVERS just because I’m frugal. After I change values I don’t need the MT-50 to monitor in my application. Just another approach.
I have 3 to monitor all of my systems on a regular basis.

Greetings All, I am having an issue with MT50 controller connected to my Tracer-4215 BN, the issue is getting some of the values to work or rather be set inside the controller. I have been able to set the time and date as well as the optional light feature. In addition I have been able to set the Temperature Coefficient and the battery to 12 volts. My battery consists of 4-cells LiFePo4 cells in series thus giving 12 volts and 200Ahs.

Will Prowse had recommended that someone like me would be well to use the following parameters.
He advises using a charge limit of 13.3 Volts

This is what I want to do but every time I try and change one of these values I get and error message. I have looked at many videos and have tried different solutions but none of them have allowed me o make the changes that I need.
I am sure that there is someone out there who has battled through this and has a solution that works.
The Mt50 on 12v Sealed battery mode will have a 24v operating spec for overcharge-undercharge- and floating charge specs that can't be changed. If your running a 12V battery bank then select 12V Flooded battery mode. This will then automatically adjust the overcharge undercharge specs to normal over and under charge cutoff limits. Even if you have "sealed" agm batteries the mode should be set to flooded for the correct specs otherwise the charge controller will act on a 24v setup and boil your batteries. Stick to the required specs for your specific system not the labeled battery type. Also, be sure to reset the charge controller by unplugging it and reconnecting and selecting a reset to default settings on the Mt50.

I'm the same, after I program my epevers I put the mt50 back in it's box in my drawer.

Back