diy solar

diy solar

Multi meter recommendation : on the cheap side

SolaroSsaurius

Hi.

My current multi meter only reads 2 decimal places in DC current.
Not the best for LiFePo4 cells...
As such I need a new multi meter, preferably quite reliable, and on the cheap(ish) side.
yeah... I checked a Fluke just for fun, and got quite scared with the 1k price tag

So, requirements are
AC + DC voltage (at least to 270v AC + 3 decimal places on DC for small volt readings)
AC + DC amp (to 300A would be nice on DC)
Clamp for amps

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance

Uni-T 61E, 22,000 count DVM. second choice cheapo is ANENG AN870 20,000 count DVM.

I have several of each model and all, as received, were measured with secondary standard at better than 0.05% accuracy at 25 degs C for DC voltage. If you are looking to estimate the SoC on an unloaded LFP cell you need that kind of accuracy.

The Uni-T 61E has an internal potentiometer to easily adjust calibration for your particular target dominate uses case voltage range.
The ANENG AN870 has digital calibration storage so you need to connect to computer to access calibration registers.

Cheap meters don't do great job for keeping accuracy when meter is subjected to ambient temps too far from 25 degs nominal temperature. If you need that, you need to spend the big bucks for the $1000 meters.

A one-meter that fits all applications will not give good accuracy.

You should have at least a separate clamp on amp meter. The clamp on amperage reading is accurate to about 1.0% of its full scale reading. The DVM voltage meter part of clamp on meters is secondary function and usually do not have very good accuracy.

It is good to have a separate clamp on meter for lower DC currents. You are not going to be able to measure things like BMS balancing current with a higher amperage clamp-on meter with a 40 or 60 amp minimum scale. Good cheap unit is Uni-T 210E. It has 2 amp and 100 amp scales.

I have several higher current clamp on's and cannot make a preferred recommendation on any of them. I will warn you about AC peak functions. They typically read low surge startup current for AC motors. It took me buying four clamp on meters before I found one with fairly accurate surge current readings for AC motors.

Also beware, many clamp-on meters are AC only so double check it can also do DC current.

Last edited:
Uni-T 61E, 22,000 count DVM. second choice cheapo is ANENG AN870 20,000 count DVM.

I have several of each model and all, as received, were measured with secondary standard at better than 0.05% accuracy at 25 degs C for DC voltage. If you are looking to estimate the SoC on an unloaded LFP cell you need that kind of accuracy.

The Uni-T 61E has an internal potentiometer to easily adjust calibration for your particular target dominate uses case voltage range.
The ANENG AN870 has digital calibration storage so you need to connect to computer to access calibration registers.

Cheap meters don't do great job for keeping accuracy when meter is subjected to ambient temps too far from 25 degs nominal temperature. If you need that, you need to spend the big bucks for the $1000 meters.

You should have at least a separate clamp on amp meter. The clamp on amperage reading is accurate to about 1.0% of its full scale reading. The DVM voltage meter part of clamp on meters is secondary function and usually do not have very good accuracy.

It is good to have a separate clamp on meter for lower DC currents. You are not going to be able to measure things like BMS balancing current with a higher amperage clamp-on meter with a 40 or 60 amp minimum scale. Good cheap unit is Uni-T 210E. It has 2 amp and 100 amp scales.

I have several higher current clamp on's and cannot make a preferred recommendation on any of them. I will warn you about AC peak functions. They typically read low surge startup current for AC motors. It took me buying four clamp on meters before I found one with fairly accurate surge current readings for AC motors.

Also beware, many clamp-on meters are AC only so double check it can also do DC current.

Many thanks for your suggestions and thoroughly description.
I'll investigate the units you mentioned.

Forgot to say that being easy to buy in EU was a bonus.

Again, thanks for your reply!

Thank you very much for your suggestions.
I ended buying the ANENG AN870 (due to cost considerations) and the UNI-T UT210E.

Again, thanks for your support

Back