diy solar

diy solar

Multiple JK/Heltec Smart BMS in Series?

JohnGalt1717

JK's website says that their custom ones support series connection. The TI chip on board that does the balancing supports it. But it isn't clear if the standard JK-B2A24S20P supports this and I don't feel like finding out if they implemented the circuitry that TI recommends in their datasheet the hard way.

Anyone know for sure if they support series connection? I really want to hook up to a 96V battery with 2 of these. (Ultimately going to 380V but that's a longer-term project).

Thanks!

Try shooting them an email and see if they respond. When in doubt I always try to ask the people who make it (as well as exploring all the other places like forums and things of course)...

Sadly, I did, and haven't gotten an response 3 weeks later... hence why I'm asking here, as I 100% agree, ask the makers first.

I always just keep pinging (sending fresh emails), until they respond too (like squeaky wheel from hell), until it gets the grease hehe..

Who knows maybe eventually somebody here will be able to answer your question at some point too. Great luck to you on finding the answer...

When you cross the 48V line a lot changes and many won't go there. Also with bigger systems like that management also becomes a different beast.

When you cross the 48V line a lot changes and many won't go there. Also with bigger systems like that management also becomes a different beast.
Actually, it's 48V for AC and 120V for DC in north America according to IEC standards. Most people don't know that and don't think that there's a difference.

But that's immaterial to the conversation and I'm an EE. (just trying to avoid having to design my own 128S BMS from the chips because I'd rather buy than build at the moment)

There are also other serial BMS solutions like the 123SmartBMS which can string up to 255 cells together (with relay control, and 1a balance current):

I had pondered a set of these for use on a Toyota Prius (to convert to plug-in hybrid, and extend EV range) where I would need 56s of LFP cells to get right voltage. I may still do it later, but had too many other fish to fry for now, so that project is on back burner.

There are also other serial BMS solutions like the 123SmartBMS which can string up to 255 cells together (with relay control, and 1a balance current):

I had pondered a set of these for use on a Toyota Prius (to convert to plug-in hybrid, and extend EV range) where I would need 56s of LFP cells to get right voltage. I may still do it later, but had too many other fish to fry for now, so that project is on back burner.
Thanks for the link! Interesting!

FYI, for anyone that finds this: They don't work in Serial. And they are ignoring my request for a quote on a 120-128 port version even though they say they do custom ones.

FYI, for anyone that finds this: They don't work in Serial. And they are ignoring my request for a quote on a 120-128 port version even though they say they do custom ones.
did you try it dude or found that answer on a spec sheet? iv found online they can do it and they cant do it

Back