diy solar

diy solar

Multiplus 3000/24 buzzing while charging even at low current

eranrund

Hello!

I recently set up my Multiplus 3000/24 and tried charging my pack. Even at 5A on the 110v side there is a very noticeable and irritating buzzing sound -

The Victron dealer says this is common, but so far four people have told me theirs are silent. I'd like to collect some more opinions so that I have a case to get it fixed or replaced.
What has been your experience with noise levels when charging with a Multiplus?

Note that this is not the new Multiplus-II model.

Thank you!

My understanding:

Coil whine

It's essentially vibrating within the housing. The large transformer makes more of a buzz than the whine/squeal described in the article.

I don't remember ever hearing a low frequency inverter that didn't make this noise when current is flowing through the transformer.

The HF models aren't as loud because they have wee-baby transformers (with no surge capability) that can be more easily damped and don't make as much noise.

How come some people's Multipluses seem immune to this problem while others are not?

How come some people's Multipluses seem immune to this problem while others are not?

Seriously? Why are you so indignant about this? That's a silly question. There's variations in everything, particularly if they're subjective.

"praised Victron" come on.

Like I said, I've heard it on every single LF inverter I've been around. I'm not sensitive to noises, and I kinda like the sound.

If you don't like it, return it. Get something else.

Seriously? Why are you so indignant about this? That's a silly question. There's variations in everything, particularly if they're subjective.

"praised Victron" come on.

Like I said, I've heard it on every single LF inverter I've been around. I'm not sensitive to noises, and I kinda like the sound.

If you don't like it, return it. Get something else.
I unfortunately am out of the return window. What I am considering doing is ordering a 2nd one and trying it out, and if it sounds differently perhaps I will have a stronger warranty claim that this is unacceptable.

Have you tried it vertical? It is intended for vertical mounting per the manual. The case resonance and contact surfaces/pressure can influence it. I helped a friend swap out a Trace. It got noticeably louder when it was set horizontally on a board for temporary operation while installing the replacement.

Have you tried it vertical? It is intended for vertical mounting per the manual. The case resonance and contact surfaces/pressure can influence it. I helped a friend swap out a Trace. It got noticeably louder when it was set horizontally on a board for temporary operation while installing the replacement.
I haven't, but I'll give it a shot! Thanks for the suggestion

My brand new MPII sounds just like that. Louder when under heavy load. I have it mounted weird and can't go vertical. It's buried in the basement of my RV so it isn't a bother inside but would be if it were in our living space.

IMG_5086.jpg

According to the MP manual (haven't checked the MP-II), mounting in that orientation is fine:
"The MultiPlus is suitable for wall mounting. For mounting purposes, a hook and two holes are provided at the back of the casing (see appendix G). The device can be fitted either horizontally or vertically. For optimal cooling, vertical fitting is preferred."

The MP-II did have a buzzing issue that was resolved with a firmware upgrade - have you seen https://community.victronenergy.com...oise-while-charging-via-new-multiplus-i.html?

According to the MP manual (haven't checked the MP-II), mounting in that orientation is fine:
"The MultiPlus is suitable for wall mounting. For mounting purposes, a hook and two holes are provided at the back of the casing (see appendix G). The device can be fitted either horizontally or vertically. For optimal cooling, vertical fitting is preferred."

The MP-II did have a buzzing issue that was resolved with a firmware upgrade - have you seen https://community.victronenergy.com...oise-while-charging-via-new-multiplus-i.html?
I'll have to check if I have that update. I doubt that I do and I forgot to do a firmware update when I changed the charger settings.

Thank you!

Transformer buzzing is sorta natural. Sometimes the windings get a little loose and it really makes a racket. The fix is to make sure the windings aren't floating on the core. I've had to jam wooden shim material between the core and the windings to quiet some of them down. My boss told me that he had a design that he packed the offending magnetic component in sand to get it to quiet down.

Transformer buzzing is sorta natural. Sometimes the windings get a little loose and it really makes a racket. The fix is to make sure the windings aren't floating on the core. I've had to jam wooden shim material between the core and the windings to quiet some of them down. My boss told me that he had a design that he packed the offending magnetic component in sand to get it to quiet down.
That's a repair I would like Victron to do, before I go and void my warranty :)

Is the inverter mounted to something that is resonating? What does the inverter sound like when it is sitting on something soft like a pair of boobs or a pile of dirty laundry?

Is the inverter mounted to something that is resonating? What does the inverter sound like when it is sitting on something soft like a pair of boobs or a pile of dirty laundry?
It is currently sitting on a heavy desk. I will place it on a moving blanket when I get to playing with it again.
Moving it around slightly on the desk had no noticeable effect, and neither slightly tilting it.

Back