diy solar

diy solar

Multiplus AC In Amp Limit

HRTKD

Boondocker
Staff member
If I set the AC input amp limit on my Multiplus 12/3000, it seems to be using less than the limit and then making up the difference with Power Assist.

For example, I connected to a 15 amp shore power circuit at home so I set the Multiplus to 15 amps. What I see on my Cerbo GX/Touch 50 screen is that the Multiplus is using only 10 amps from shore power and a few amps from Power Assist to run the air conditioner.

I've seen the same issue when using the on-board generator when the AC input amp limit is set to 30 amps. It doesn't use the full 30 amps, more like 25 amps and using Power Assist.

I could set the AC input amp limit to a value higher than the actual shore power can provide, but that doesn't seem like the right thing to do.

Do you have weak AC input enabled on the charger tab? If so, you're limited to around 80% of available input power.

Most Victron hardware does very well with no special provisions enabled for generators. My crappy Predator feeds ~117V and 58-62Hz (all over the place), and the Quattro just gobbles up almost all of the available input current specified.

here's my Predator in operation:

1658425675581.png

worth checking:

If you have any of the mentioned features enabled to facilitate generator power, it may reduce your available charge current.

I have spent very little time in the Victron screens for the Multiplus. I use the USB connection and a laptop to configure the major items that aren't available from the Cerbo GX screen. Connecting the laptop takes time so I've done it exactly once. I'll have to get back in there and look to see what the current configuration is. The weak AC input sounds like a likely culprit.

How did you get to the AC output frequency screen? My Onan generator is supposed to be fairly clean, but I haven't proven that for myself.

I have spent very little time in the Victron screens for the Multiplus. I use the USB connection and a laptop to configure the major items that aren't available from the Cerbo GX screen. Connecting the laptop takes time so I've done it exactly once. I'll have to get back in there and look to see what the current configuration is. The weak AC input sounds like a likely culprit.

How did you get to the AC output frequency screen? My Onan generator is supposed to be fairly clean, but I haven't proven that for myself.

VRM advanced tab widget.

VRM advanced tab widget.

I have my Cerbo GX on a VRM account. However, I don't have a constant Internet connection. It connects/uploads only when I turn on the hot spot on my phone, so not very often. I'll have to remember to make that connection more often so I can see data like that.

Back