diy solar

diy solar

Multiplus in an RV - can it behave like a traditional converter?

Gould

I’m finally receiving my Multiplus II 2x120V next week. I have much of its capability figured out and everything pre-wired and ready to go. I’m running lithium batteries and am in an are where winters are extreme so will inevitably have periods in the fall and spring where I won’t be able to use them due to sub zero temperatures.

A traditional converter in an RV will supply the 12v circuit with power from the 120v source even without a battery connected. My question is, will the Multiplus provide similar functionality converter functionality?

No, your multiplus is an inverter/charger and you will need it and your batteries connected for 12 volt power. For most RVs the best solution is to keep you lithium batteries in heated space or to use battery heaters.

That’s what I figured, thanks. Will need to look for a heater solution. Do appreciate the advantages of lithium but the disadvantages are just as real.

If I remember correctly, when I turned my Inverter off from the Victron Digital Multi Control I still was getting D/C power to my trailer.

Are your batteries going to be in close proximity to your Inverter? If so, the Inverter puts off a little heat and it might just be enough to keep your battery compartment warm enough.

unfortunately this is a travel trailer without the excessive storage to a fifth wheel. The batteries had to be mounted on the frame. If it comes down to it and we find ourselves rv’ing in sub-zero, I’ll have to disconnect the solar/inverter circuit and use the OEM converter. I’m not concerned about off grid in those temps so no need for the large capacity lithium’s.

Back