diy solar

diy solar

Multiplus timer

JJJJ

Aspiring apprentice
I am looking at the Multiplus. During the day I would like the system to use solar and batteries. Then at night I would like a timer to turn on battery charging with the option of still using the batteries if their charge is sufficient.

Is this possible with Multiplus settings? Or would a separate timer be needed?

Thanks

What charging source do you wish to use when there is no solar?

What exactly is the timer for? Is it to turn on the alternate charger at a specific time or to run the alternate charger for a specific amount of time?

I plan on using grid power for charging at night when solar is not available. If the multiplus allows one to control the time of day to use the grid for charging then this would not be needed.

I plan on using grid power for charging at night when solar is not available. If the multiplus allows one to control the time of day to use the grid for charging then this would not be needed.
Interesting question. Hopefully someone has a simple solution....

I did check in VictronConnect (you can install it and select a dummy Multiplus to check the available options) but I can't find any time-based options.

So you have to stick with other options like VenosOS to trigger events (like start charging)

Another option might be an external charger. You can schedule that to start/stop charging. You even can make it more smart: When using a rPI or Arduino or so you can interface with an online portal which provides solar availability.
That allows you to
'Hey, charge up to 60% SOC, since there will be limited solar tomorrow, charge while its cheap'
'Hey, tomorrow there will be plenty of sunshine, keep it at 25% SOC, solar will top-up the batteries tomorrow for free'

Or get some other AIO, afaik a Growatt and MPP Solar allows to prioritize charging sources and more flexible configation options.

Using VictronConnect you can setup the MultiPlus to make use of AC input under certain conditions. There isn't a way to do it with a timer. You can tell the MultiPlus to only use AC input when the battery is below a certain voltage or when a certain amount of load has been reached. And it can be setup to stop using AC input when the battery reaches a certain voltage or when it is fully charged.

Yes you can. You will need a GX device or run Venus on a raspberry pi to set your options. The GX device and Venus runs a software called ESS that allows you to set it up as you wish.

The two of you phrased this much better than I could. Thank very much for this.

If I understand things correctly, by using Victronconnect and the GX device, when I have sun, the batteries would continue to charge from solar panels and feed the inverter thereby reducing the need for grid sourced AC. Then on those cloudy days (or night time), the backup AC option could kick in as needed and would also charge the batteries.

Would a smart shunt be needed as well?

If this is the case, it is exactly what I was hoping for.

VictronConnect is the software mostly used to setup your Multi and MPPT,s. Though you can also use it as monitoring software. The main software used for monitoring and controlling your Multi, solar and batteries is ESS that is loaded on your Victron GX device or you can load it on a rpi.
I have attached a screenshot of the dashboard. I have 2 Multi,s in parallel and my house runs on solar during the day and batteries at night. If we have lousy weather during the day then the Multi changes to grid during the night when a preconfigured SOC is reached.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2022-01-22 19-25-59.png
    Screenshot from 2022-01-22 19-25-59.png
    116.8 KB · Views: 15
A SmartShunt would only be needed if you want to setup things based on SOC. Of course a SmartShunt is handy if you want to know the actual SOC.

The VictronConnect settings alone probably don't meet your needs exactly. If you use it so that the AC input is used when the battery gets low, it could still be be charging your battery when the solar is also available in the morning and then both sources will charge the battery. So even if the solar would have fully charged the battery itself by the end of the day, the AC input may still be used too.

I haven't actually setup ESS so I don't know all of the options but based on the other answers above, it sounds like it can be setup to do just what you need.

Getting ESS setup actually requires using VEConfig to install the ESS assistant on the MultiPlus. Then it can be setup using VenusOS on a GX or RPi. When you get around to buying your MultiPlus, buy it from a reputable dealer that you can talk to over the phone. Explain to them what you plan to do and have them install the ESS assistant for you before they ship it. Installing the ESS assistant requires setting the Grid code on the MultiPlus and this may require a non-public passcode.

Last edited:
I am going to get a little off track, but since the responses have been outstanding I thought I would ask here.

For the Multiplus 24v, what is the maximum solar panel input it can receive in volts, amps? Or does the charge controller handle this?

Thanks

None, since the MP is only grid-connected charger/inverter, not a MPPT. It only can charge from grid.

The Easysolar range is a Multiplus + MPPT in 1 case, and in that case the PV limits are depending on the model.

For the Multiplus 24v, what is the maximum solar panel input it can receive in volts, amps? Or does the charge controller handle this?
The MultiPlus is not an all-in-one. Whatever solar charge controller (SCC) you purchase will define how much solar you can use. But normally you determine how much solar you need and then you choose an appropriate SCC that can support it.

I understand that this is not an all in one. I am planning on purchasing the Victron charge controller. What I was asking is will I be using the charge controller to determine panel selection and amp/voltage constraints?

I understand that this is not an all in one. I am planning on purchasing the Victron charge controller. What I was asking is will I be using the charge controller to determine panel selection and amp/voltage constraints?
No, you will be using your needed solar panel setup to choose the solar charge controller.

Figure out how much solar you need and then find panels that fit that need. Use the calculator below to figure out which Victron MPPT will work for your solar panels.

Back