diy solar

diy solar

My 1 Awg wire using 10 Awg

sshibly

Solar Enthusiast
This morning I wanted to see how my hydro crimper works on 1/0 lugs.

I was playing the 1/0 wire and it was more stubborn than my youngest. so I opted to cut 8 strands of 10 awg wires and use a 1/0 lug [all ancor marine grade] and crimped it.
I had to tape them tight to keep them even prior to crimping. But here is the result.

Total wire dia for 8 strands of 10 awg = 8*5.25mm2 = nearly equal to 42.4mm2 for 1 awg wire.

I find it more flexible but a bear to crimp.

Attachments

• 10awg_1awg.jpg
    10awg_1awg.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 23
Many people buy welding wire (which is the wire that is used to connect the ground on a Mig or Stick welder).
It has many more strands so it is more flexible.

What you are doing is technically not allowed under US NEC rules. It is only allowed on very very large gauge wires. Small wire installations are required to have fuses on each individual wire. Do what you want and hope it works.

Many people buy welding wire (which is the wire that is used to connect the ground on a Mig or Stick welder).
It has many more strands so it is more flexible.

What you are doing is technically not allowed under US NEC rules. It is only allowed on very very large gauge wires. Small wire installations are required to have fuses on each individual wire. Do what you want and hope it works.
x2, this was just to test my crimp tool, I was messing with it.
Good to know NEC dislikes my wire crimps ;-)

Back