diy solar

diy solar

My 16s 272ah compression box

mcdonder

I didn’t originally compress the cells and that was a bad idea. I think the high heat where I live (north Central Valley Ca) made the swelling even worse. It’s put together with 1 1/8” plywood. The inside of the box is the exact dimensions of the un-swollen cells, so it’s really just stopping them from swelling any more. One end is fixed, the other is a double layer cap that sucks them together with 4x 6” lag screws pre-drilled.

I can post a cut list if people are interested in making their own. I also work in a custom cabinet/furniture shop so making a run of these (a bit nicer looking) to sell might be a possibility.

Attachments

• D5866383-2F0B-449E-A2CF-A5070BF6C9AE.jpeg
    D5866383-2F0B-449E-A2CF-A5070BF6C9AE.jpeg
    236.4 KB · Views: 120
  • D4D9F7D8-1FEF-4D83-B0F8-DEFAC878D302.jpeg
    D4D9F7D8-1FEF-4D83-B0F8-DEFAC878D302.jpeg
    161.7 KB · Views: 120
I'm looking for ideas as well, and this is nice. No threaded rods makes it more compact and holds on all four sides.

I was trying to find a simple way to keep my cells from swelling and this was the perfect find. Thanks for posting!
20211120_194059353_iOS.png

I was trying to find a simple way to keep my cells from swelling and this was the perfect find. Thanks for posting!
View attachment 73592
What size are your cells? I have 16 230ah cells on order, and this looks like a great way to box and compress them. BTW, what is the orange foam? Neoprene or something else? I love the handles. That pack must weigh a lot.

Mine are 230's as well. 175mm X 55mm X 220mm or 6.9"X2.2"X8.7" that's W-D-H

The orange stuff is EVA foam not totally sure if it's needed. I've read so much that I may just be overly cautions about the blue shrink wrap maybe tearing and having a short.

Yeah it's a two person lift for sure, and the handles come in handy (sorry, had too) . Not sure if I'll just leave it like this or put in into a truck box or something yet.

I did nearly the same thing, used oak because I had some random pieces of it. I also used 5mm neoprene between the cells because they are not what a machinist would call flat, making for uneven pressure.

do be aware, one member had a fire right after compressing slightly swollen cells. Not sure how they look in the inside after swelling , I kind of picture a filo pastry with thin layers, but if you push on a swollen surface with any force, the center gets all the concentrated pressure, if it’s crystalline or rigid in there it could cause issues. I also added some handles and a cover to prevent accidental shorting. Nice box though, likely an Easy sellable item, many members are lookingnfor just such a thing and don’t have the resources to make it.
i bey if you posted them for sale you would sell 50 in a couple months. Effective, sturdy, reasonably priced. If I had to have bought the oak mine cost it would have been an extra $150 right there, before all the cutesy inset brass threaded inserts or wheels or tung oil…

Speaking of oak, you can buy 1" thick x 11.5" x 48 oak stair stringers at Lowes for $34. They would make a really nice box. I use them to make face fronts for speakers and boom boxes.

Speaking of oak, you can buy 1" thick x 11.5" x 48 oak stair stringers at Lowes for $34. They would make a really nice box. I use them to make face fronts for speakers and boom boxes.
That’s a good find, likely only two are needed, though I did a center board as well in the middle of my pack so tension is divided over three boards, silly overkill. At some point I need to move pics to my computer and upload them here, its worked out really well.

Mine are 230's as well. 175mm X 55mm X 220mm or 6.9"X2.2"X8.7" that's W-D-H

The orange stuff is EVA foam not totally sure if it's needed. I've read so much that I may just be overly cautions about the blue shrink wrap maybe tearing and having a short.

Yeah it's a two person lift for sure, and the handles come in handy (sorry, had too) . Not sure if I'll just leave it like this or put in into a truck box or something yet.
Since I'm running mine as two 8S batteries, I think I'll build two boxes to make each battery lighter and easier to manage. The overall weight will be more, due to the two sides I have to add, but I'm estimating about 80lbs. Do you know how much your battery box weighs now?

oooof, more than i can lift. It’s 2p8s eve 230’s and 40 lbs of oak. Does real nice with some casters I ordered off Amazon for a few dollars each. being Able to break it into two boxes with only wiring disconnect might be nice. Could also then move the halves around to fit spaces or even stack, or expand into 3p8s or 4p8s….

My thoughts exactly, about being able to stack, or add additional 8S modules. Time to draft some box designs. Hoping to keep weight to about 80lbs, which I can manage with good handles.

Yup. I cut oblong holes in my end panels which stick up a couple inches from the battery top. Run the router around them and they are great sturdy handles. Also used the tall end pieces to hold the cover, which is just a 1/4” slot on the inside holding a piece of plexiglass. For stacking that would provide Nice clearance for inspection and wires.

Back