diy solar

diy solar

My all steel rack design

Ptom

I built and installed over 50 of these 12 module large racks, (plus doing general alt energy work for 20+ years) and delivered them to the most remote areas and all over 3 different states. Their size was perfect for working with stock angle iron lengths: very little scrap left over. Just under the width to need a pilot car, just a over width permit. Designed to be picked with my crane and set on a schedule 40 8" pipe. I'd do all the work in my shop, including installing and pre wiring the modules, once at the job site, with the pole already installed a couple weeks earlier, it would take less then 1 hour to unload it, swing it into position, and tighten up the socket capture bolts, connect the wires to the already installed combiner box or j box, and flick the switch. I was doing this so cost effectively, I was selling the heck out of them, the big benefit to me was the work all being done in my home shop. Having my own boom truck was key of course (crane work is my main biz), and a shop big enough, with overhead chain fall trolleys so I could lift and also flip them over. I modified a snowmachine trailer, and had a heavy overhead rack on my flatbed truck, and never had one problem going down the road.

I stopped about 5 years ago, when things got too regulated, when the inspector required the racks be "engineered", and I be a licensed installer. At the same time, my crane biz was keeping me so busy and growing busier the solar work was getting in the way, and crane work pays better! This design used salvage 6 or 8" pipe, bought at the scrap yard, so half the price of new and just as good, new angle, 2x2x 3/16" for the main "runners", and 1/8" xy 1 1/4" for the runner supports. I used a cutting torch, later a plasma cutter with a jig, to notch out the 2" to fit the big pipe, and basic carpenter techniques to keep it all straight and square. About 20' x 10', and 1400 pounds or so. No failures, not even close, and much cheaper for my numerous customers then: 1. Buying a "engineered" racking sytem. 2. Paying freight charges for it to arrive, in pieces. 3. Haul it to the job site and then spend days and much effort erecting it all piecemeal, with many trips back and forth, and then finally wiring it all up. In my shop, I could do the work at my leisure, in between crane jobs, had everything needed at hand, AC and music of course, steps away from my home. No way would I continue to do solar work the way most did, on site. While still being very cost effective for my customers, they were priced such, that I was making a pretty easy $1200.00 to $1500.00 a day, not bad for spare time work, plus the profit from all the equipment sales. Best of all, was getting my own gear at quantity dealer prices! A few pics, I think, I'm new here. BTW: most homebuilt racks I see are grossly overbuilt, my design uses a minimum of structure to get the job done, I'm an airplane guy with a construction background, so doing more with less (weight and cost) comes naturally.

Attachments

• 5-30 011.jpg
    5-30 011.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_20150110_143446_828.jpg
    IMG_20150110_143446_828.jpg
    397.7 KB · Views: 80
  • catto 2 008.jpg
    catto 2 008.jpg
    575.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 5-1-15 004.jpg
    5-1-15 004.jpg
    860.3 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC_1032.JPG
    DSC_1032.JPG
    258.6 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC_0343.JPG
    DSC_0343.JPG
    622.1 KB · Views: 86
...sell the plans and material list on line to DIY Solar Enthusists?
Or talk to a local university Structural dept about a full scale test and anaysis of your design and get it approved for use in your state- maybe even get a grant for doing it?

What regulations does it need to meet?

ETA: I’m a Texas PE and while it doesn’t look like you’re in Texas unless it’s down in Big Bend, I might be able to give your design a quick sanity check.

Last edited:
Back