diy solar

diy solar

My cabin aspirations

303Refugee

So I purchased a 10x20 cabin and I want to outfit it with solar power I purchased a Growwatt all in one 3000 watt 24v unit. two Battle Born batteries and 600 watts of solar panels.
Can I really hook it up like the picture?
Is the set up different if I'm running 2 batteries?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220510-183605.png
    Screenshot_20220510-183605.png
    397.8 KB · Views: 38
So I purchased a 10x20 cabin and I want to outfit it with solar power I purchased a Growwatt all in one 3000 watt 24v unit. two Battle Born batteries and 600 watts of solar panels.
Can I really hook it up like the picture?
Is the set up different if I'm running 2 batteries?
Since it is a 24 volt inverter 2 (12 volt) batteries would be hooked up in series.
Would need more info on panels to see if 4 in series is appropriate (like your picture).

Since it is a 24 volt inverter 2 (12 volt) batteries would be hooked up in series.
Would need more info on panels to see if 4 in series is appropriate (like your picture).
I have 6- 100w panels placed approx 50' of PV cable away.
I believe 10gage PV extension cables are appropriate.
And 6gage for battery cables

Attachments

• 20220619_163539.jpg
    20220619_163539.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 12
I have 6- 100w panels placed approx 50' of PV cable away.
Connect them in 3s2p and you're good to go.

And 6gage for battery cables
That's going to be too small, 6AWG tops out at 70a. The Growatt 3Kw units can pull 125a+ out of those batteries under full load. Add in efficiency losses and 20% overhead and you're looking at 175a of fuse and wire size which is 0AWG wire. Can your BB's even do 125a or are the BMS's topped out at 100a discharge?

Also, and very important, post pics when you're done. We love seeing stuff like that! :)

Last edited:
Ahhh I see I understand. what is the real benefit of running them in parallel like that as opposed to just running my 6 in series? I'm super scared of burning up my grow Watt or something I just don't know enough about this solar at electrical. I want this system as idiot proof as possible. I'm also just learning I'm going to need a battery charger to charge and balance these batteries before I even do anything ? and that thing needs to be sized correctly too jeez!! ?

So
Ahhh I see I understand. what is the real benefit of running them in parallel like that as opposed to just running my 6 in series? I'm super scared of burning up my grow Watt or something I just don't know enough about this solar at electrical. I want this system as idiot proof as possible. I'm also just learning I'm going to need a battery charger to charge and balance these batteries before I even do anything ? and that thing needs to be sized correctly too jeez!! ?

Do you have 18 -100 watt panels like shown in pictures? Or do you have 6-100 watt panels?
Correct me if I’m wrong.

In simple terms
Wiring in series volts will increase amps will stay the same.
Wiring in parallel amps will increase volts will stay the same.

Ahhh I see I understand. what is the real benefit of running them in parallel like that as opposed to just running my 6 in series? I'm super scared of burning up my grow Watt or something I just don't know enough about this solar at electrical. I want this system as idiot proof as possible.
Aha! I can answer this!

OK, a few pieces of terminology you're going to need to understand:

VoC: This is the maximum voltage the panel will produce with no load under perfect test conditions. This is a really important number you'll find on the data sticker of any panel.

PV Input Voltage: This is the maximum DC voltage your charge controller can take in before it ends in magic smoke/fried equipment/angry wife.

Temperature Coefficient: Solar panels will produce a set voltage at perfect test conditions, which is IIRC 25C. This is great if you live in the tropics, but if you're anywhere that gets cold like Alaska/Vermont/Wife's Feet then the voltage will go UP as the panel gets Colder. This will affect the voltage going into your charge controller.

Now, for understanding the concepts and the sake of easy napkin math, I'm going to say that your Growatt has a PV Input Voltage of 200V max. This is the number to NEVER exceed when hot, cold, or any other temperature.

Now, lets say you're using 100w panels that are 20v VoC and 5a each. 20v * 5a = 100w. You think to yourself "Self, 200v of input and these are 20v panels, I can put 10 of these in series and be good to go!" And then your self would have released the magic smoke because it was a little cool the other day and your panels' voltage went up a bit and exceeded that 200v input limit.

As a rule of thumb we say 20% overhead unless you're someplace REALLY cold like Alaska/Vermont/Wife's Feet at which point you have to do some math.

But, I hear you thinking to yourself, you've only got 6 of those 100w panels. You could put THOSE panels in series and only be at 120v, well under the 200v limit. And you'd be right. 6 panels in series facing south in a single series string would make your controller Very Happy. Yaay! :)

Now, it's been a couple years and it's just not producing enough juice to top up your batteries and you're getting sick of feeding the generator every day in winter. So you jump online and get some used 500w Big Boy Panels! Well, now it's time to do the math because those panels turn out to be listed at 50VoC at 10a (nice big panels!) so if you tried to string 6 of those together you'd end up with magic smoke/burned parts/angry wife. Uh oh!

Well, what you would do then is start making multiple strings in series to keep the voltage down below that magical 200v limit, and you'd put THOSE strings in parallel. Since you don't want to push that 200v limit you decide to set up a 3s2p setup where you throw 3 in series for 150v @ 10a (50v per panel, 3 panels in series, 150v) each and parallel 2 of those strings to get 150v @ 20a (each string is 150v @ 10a, in parallel you add the amps so 150v @ 20a). Now your controller is Very Happy AND you've gone from 600w of panels to 3000w of panels without releasing the magic smoke OR making the wife angry.

From there, now that you have 2 strings you get to choose orientation. Do you face all the new panes south and generate ALL THE WATTS at noon, or do you swing some SE and the others SW so you get Some Watts from dawn to dusk? That's more personal preference and environment and really isn't important at this stage though.

Does that all make sense?

I'm also just learning I'm going to need a battery charger to charge and balance these batteries before I even do anything ? and that thing needs to be sized correctly too jeez!! ?
Don't sweat that part, you're using 2 12v batteries. Throw them on a regular car charger that has an AGM setting and let them get full, that'll get you to 95+% charged. Once you get your system put together and the settings in the Growatt will take over from there and top everything up. The big key is to have both batteries as closely charged as possible, i.e. don't have 1 at 95% and the other at 50%. Connect them in parallel, connect the charger from the positive on 1 battery and the negative on the other. They will both charge just fine and evenly.

The only time balancing a battery becomes a real issue is when you're building your own and you want all 8 or 16 cells to be perfectly topped up, what we call a "Top Balance". For factory built batteries, not a deal.

Aha! I can answer this!

OK, a few pieces of terminology you're going to need to understand:

VoC: This is the maximum voltage the panel will produce with no load under perfect test conditions. This is a really important number you'll find on the data sticker of any panel.

PV Input Voltage: This is the maximum DC voltage your charge controller can take in before it ends in magic smoke/fried equipment/angry wife.

Temperature Coefficient: Solar panels will produce a set voltage at perfect test conditions, which is IIRC 25C. This is great if you live in the tropics, but if you're anywhere that gets cold like Alaska/Vermont/Wife's Feet then the voltage will go UP as the panel gets Colder. This will affect the voltage going into your charge controller.

Now, for understanding the concepts and the sake of easy napkin math, I'm going to say that your Growatt has a PV Input Voltage of 200V max. This is the number to NEVER exceed when hot, cold, or any other temperature.

Now, lets say you're using 100w panels that are 20v VoC and 5a each. 20v * 5a = 100w. You think to yourself "Self, 200v of input and these are 20v panels, I can put 10 of these in series and be good to go!" And then your self would have released the magic smoke because it was a little cool the other day and your panels' voltage went up a bit and exceeded that 200v input limit.

As a rule of thumb we say 20% overhead unless you're someplace REALLY cold like Alaska/Vermont/Wife's Feet at which point you have to do some math.

But, I hear you thinking to yourself, you've only got 6 of those 100w panels. You could put THOSE panels in series and only be at 120v, well under the 200v limit. And you'd be right. 6 panels in series facing south in a single series string would make your controller Very Happy. Yaay! :)

Now, it's been a couple years and it's just not producing enough juice to top up your batteries and you're getting sick of feeding the generator every day in winter. So you jump online and get some used 500w Big Boy Panels! Well, now it's time to do the math because those panels turn out to be listed at 50VoC at 10a (nice big panels!) so if you tried to string 6 of those together you'd end up with magic smoke/burned parts/angry wife. Uh oh!

Well, what you would do then is start making multiple strings in series to keep the voltage down below that magical 200v limit, and you'd put THOSE strings in parallel. Since you don't want to push that 200v limit you decide to set up a 3s2p setup where you throw 3 in series for 150v @ 10a (50v per panel, 3 panels in series, 150v) each and parallel 2 of those strings to get 150v @ 20a (each string is 150v @ 10a, in parallel you add the amps so 150v @ 20a). Now your controller is Very Happy AND you've gone from 600w of panels to 3000w of panels without releasing the magic smoke OR making the wife angry.

From there, now that you have 2 strings you get to choose orientation. Do you face all the new panes south and generate ALL THE WATTS at noon, or do you swing some SE and the others SW so you get Some Watts from dawn to dusk? That's more personal preference and environment and really isn't important at this stage though.

Does that all make sense?

Don't sweat that part, you're using 2 12v batteries. Throw them on a regular car charger that has an AGM setting and let them get full, that'll get you to 95+% charged. Once you get your system put together and the settings in the Growatt will take over from there and top everything up. The big key is to have both batteries as closely charged as possible, i.e. don't have 1 at 95% and the other at 50%. Connect them in parallel, connect the charger from the positive on 1 battery and the negative on the other. They will both charge just fine and evenly.

The only time balancing a battery becomes a real issue is when you're building your own and you want all 8 or 16 cells to be perfectly topped up, what we call a "Top Balance". For factory built batteries, not a deal.
i just grabbed the same inverter and got it today. you just explained months of research into basic understanding. thankyou

I try to be helpful. :)
Dude! Thank you for all the great info. I'm much more confident now!??
Another question if you don't mind.
Let me preface. I called Battleborn awhile back to ask some questions cuz they spout about having The best customer service and free consultation blah blah blah. When I spoke to the "tech" he basically told me that he didn't recommend building what im building and he had preferred vendors for the components ?sounds more like a sales pitch than customer service. But one of the things he said is that the
2- 12v batteries / 1-24v battery won't be enough to run the inverter and it will trip safety for low current?
The Growatt has a 3000w inverter. My batteries are, 2-100ah in series
Do you think this will be an issue? I was under the impression that I could add panels and batteries later if my electrical needs increase.
Again thanks for all the help??

I think the biggest concern is that the Growatt will eat 1200wh a day just to exist which is over half what your panels can produce in an average day. Adding in the draw of whatever you're running and if it's more than about 300wh total you'll never be able to keep up with the demand.

The other issue is that the BB's can only put out 2400w of power at a time before the BMS inside trips, so you can't utilize the full 3kw of the inverter without more batteries in parallel to share the load. Since your draw is so low you'll probably be fine until you start puushing more than 2kw of draw through that guy.

A lot of it was probably sales pitch but you're definitely right on the edge with only 600w of panels on there and a single set of batteries.

How is the system working?

I’ve spent the last year thinking about a similar system.
I'm still accumulating all the parts and wires. I have everything now. Or so I thought. Now im shopping fuses too. There's so much to consider! So I should have it all installed in a week or 2. Because were only going out to the property 1 day a week. It's hard to get much done, As its been so hot and I don't wanna just be burning gas running the generator / AC trying not to melt. Last 2 weeks highs were all over 100°?

Finally our system is installed and running. We havent given it a full 24hr test. But we ran a 5k A/C, lights and fans for over 3 hours never pulling from the batteries. Next we need to see if the battery bank can run stuff all night without hitting low voltage cutoff. But so far so good! We move out there permanently in 10 days!!

Back