diy solar

diy solar

My diesel generator's cost of power produced.

Trukinbear

Well, 'Eloise' our Cummins Onan Quiet Diesel QD8000 (8HDKAK) numbers are in for her first tank of fuel. And show her to be a couple of cents more per hour than my highly modified 10HDKAG Onan 'Ellen' that preceded her, though about 20% cheaper than the stock unmodified 10HDKAG.

In the last 98 days, Eloise ran for 262.2 hours, and consumed 147 gallons of red-dyed off-road diesel fuel oil #2, for a total cost of $459.85. This period of time is 50/50 no solar/solar as it all finally came online. This is still considerably cheaper than when I was allowed to purchase store-bought power like normal folk (no offense) as (before my house burnt down) my power bill this time of year was close to $350 though in all fairness we are much more efficient, having gotten rid of all 1960's stuff and having become much more cognizant of our actual power use. Next year I expect to average out to about $50, saving me $250 per month and giving me payback for my system of a little over three years, and even paying for the bungalow I've been building about 4 or 5 years later. You gotta love solar.

• 2.67 hours per day
  • .56 gallons per hour
  • $4.69 per day
  • $1.75 per hour

Factoring in maintenance costs (an oil/filter change)

• $5.02 total costs per day
  • $1.88 total cost per generator operating hour

• 1,398 KwH produced
    • Average generator load 66.6% (nominal 8kw)
    • 14.4 KwH/d
    • $0.349 KwH

Factoring in depreciation, and major maintenance over 10 years (assuming you'll buy a new one or do a major overhaul) changes these numbers somewhat - the above is misleading. I've got far less in this one, and I doubt I'll be here in 10 years so the first numbers mean more to me, but they did paint a rosier picture of turning diesel fuel into heat, noise, and electricity.

• $7.35 per day
  • $2.75 per generator operating hour
  • $0.515 per Kilowatt-hour

Back