diy solar

diy solar

My DIY 60 kW 220 panel setup

I just realized the 56A relay limitation in the SI is @ 120V per your comment above. So that means I would need 8 SIs to be able to backfeed 50kW plus back into the grid. And that's definitely more than I want to spend.

So yeah, let me think about how to redo the diagram to only have some power going through the SIs. Possibly just enough for what 2 SIs can handle, and then have the rest of the SBs direct grid tied.

So here are the current PV capacities on my SBs:

SB capacity summary.jpg

So I think adding a string of East and West facing panels to the 2 SB 7.0s, respectively, which currently have 7,150 watts going to them would be the logical next steep since those are the least over-subscribed. Here's what those 2 were doing on 9/1:

shop_roof_1_2.jpg

So they definitely have some available overhead.

Here are all 8 SBs that day:

all_strings_9_1.jpg

So no clipping at all. While there were no clouds in the sky, it was very hot and being 9/1, it was well past the summer solstice.

Last edited:
Up to 4x SI can be in one cluster. Configured 2phase4 and wired 2p2s, that allows 112A pass-through, at 240V equals 26880W.
Actual voltage may push a bit higher, so higher wattage for same current limit. You can't count on perfect balance between two parallel relays (do the best you can), so that reduces wattage a bit.

I now have Midnight magnetic-hydraulic DC breakers on grid side and on island side of Sunny Islands. I measured 23A on one leg, 24A on the other.
When I first assembled it I had Square D QO270 on Island side (and Schneider 63A Multi 9 on grid side). Even with 60' total of 6 awg, the current was imbalanced about 3:1. I replaced QO with Multi 9 on island side and it was better balanced.

To have more than about 26kW or 27kW (even getting too close to that and imbalance will cause SI to open relays), on island side, they couldn't be connected and active feeding through to grid. Only connect when off grid.

To use 8x SI you would need two independent clusters. To have all 60 kW producing at the same time, 10x SI in three independent clusters.

Unless you really need a lot of power while disconnected from grid, put about 24kW of SB behind 4x SI while connected to grid. Have away to switch another 24kW onto SI after disconnecting to grid (5 second delay switching.) That's 48kW, just leave the remaining 12kW only on grid, so shut off during grid failures.

Or, with multiple orientations into 48kW of SB, you'll get the daily kWh production of 60kW single orientation, but lower peak and more hours.
I estimate with half the panels oriented SE and half SW (90 degrees between them), you can over-panel 40%, because peak output will be 70% as high as all one orientation. (It does reduce daily kWh due to longer path through air than due South.)

You only list MPPT A & B for some inverters. All those models have 3 MPPT. "A" and "B" can be paralleled, but "C" can't.
Have to consider max Imp and Isc specs to see how multiple strings might be paralleled, or how much you can over-panel with one string per MPPT.

Yeah, I agonized a while over how to wire the strings after removing all the micro-inverters. I did not want to pull all new wires through the conduits out to the various arrays, so I was limited by the wiring that was already in the conduits and I just reused the THHN wire already in the conduits and butt spliced in PV wire from the arrays before entering the conduits. THHN wire is rated for 600V after all.

For example, this is how the PV strings on the shop roof transition into the conduit:

IMG_E1846.JPG

So that pretty much dictated the following string configurations:

SB capacity summary.jpg

I know the SBs are most efficient at around 375-400V, so I'm fairly close for most of the strings. My main concern is the 4 strings with 15 panels in series since the Talesun TP660P-270 panels in those string have a Voc of 38.5V, so 577.5V total. So if I get a really cold morning, with clear skies and low humidity, there's a small probability that I'll be over 600V when the MPPT turns on. But I think the odds are slim.

So I'm thinking I'll just leave the above string configurations the way they are and begin adding strings of 12ish panels to each vacant MPPT input, facing either East or West. I say 12ish because I don't know what panels I'm getting yet, so it will be however many will get me to about 400Vmpp.

Back on Feb 27 of 2020, I had a nice cold and very clear day, and I got the following output from the 2 original SB 7.7s I had back then:

solar_clipping_Feb27_2020.PNG

As for the SIs, I'm still thinking about how to pull that off as I have some space limitation at the shop right now with where the crypto miners are located and their corresponding air cooling.

I would barely be able to fit another 400A meter base to the left of the one already there that I'm using as a junction box:

IMG_1744.JPG

Zoomed out 8/3/22 8:09 am morning shot from when I was removing the micro inverters from the roof last month:

IMG_E1836.JPG

I'll be dropping all those pines on the left once the weather cools down some.

My loads are fairly well balanced. Past 24 hours:

line balance.jpg

A few hundred watts is looks like.

THHN is not sunlight resistant. Except if it is large gauge, and comes out of your meter rain head for utility drop?
Colored wires have less UV protection.
You ought to find a way to keep the sun off them.

Me, I cut MC cables in half to make pigtails, splice to THHN inside a box.

I see a recessed area at the roof penetration. Can that hold back standing water?

SI is spec'd for indoors. I put silicone sheet over controls (removed sharp metal clip from breaker, stuck square of stiffer backing sheet from silicone over the surface to let breaker handle slide.) I have it under an awning. I should also tape a flap of clear roofing material over the controls, since silicone may not hold up forever.

You can seal all cable penetrations as well so fog doesn't enter electronics compartment.

But best would be in an environment free from excess humidity.

Make sure you don't ever exceed max Voc spec, calculated using record coldest temperature. If nothing else, max voltage is logged and would invalidate warranty.
Within that limit, Ok to over-panel with higher voltage. Also higher current, not exceeding max Isc spec. But more efficient operating point would mean less heat generation, longer life.

I don't have any THHN exposed to the sun. That pic above was taken before the solar panel was placed over top of it. Here's a before pic when the 4 AC strings were going into it:

IMG_E1818.JPG

That's a flexible rubber boot going down through the roof. Never had a single leak since the initial install in 2016.

I buy PV cable by the 1000' reel and make my own MC cables. I had to make 80 3.5 ft. MC cables, which was a royal pain. When I removed the micros from the roof, I had about 8 MC connectors (mostly female) that I had to put new ends on since the old ones had fused/burned to the MC connectors on the micros. I went through over 200 MC connectors converting from micros to string inverters. I got really good at adding MC connectors to the end of PV wire by the end, lol.

Good points about not exceeding max Voc. I plan to keep a close eye on the voltages on the array with the 15 panel strings for sure, and if I get close, I'll bypass one panel in each string with a "jumper" MC cable, during the cold months. So far I have barely kissed 500 volts a few times with temps right around 60F:

string_voltage.jpg

What is interesting is that it occurred more than an hour after the initial sun up at around 7:07 AM.

If I get the SIs they will definitely be kept indoors in the shop. Humidity can get pretty high in there during the summer, but there is little I can do about that.

Last edited:
Such an impressive system. If you do ever decided to do battery back up definatly go with EG4's. I'm running with 46KW of backup power installed in the server racks. The way they are setup you can connect to them via an old PC or Laptop and monitor each cell whenever you like. Thankfully though they just seem to work without any monitoring from my experiance over the last 7 months or so I've owned them.

Yeah, the ideal system I think would be to load up on the EG4 rack batteries and hope that the Sunny Island 8.0H will be able to communicate with it. Not in a great rush to run out and buy batteries and a charger, so I'll wait things out a bit longer to see what else comes to market. My preference would be a low frequency inverter I think since I have some pretty heavy loads.

I got a new toy yesterday.

EBWR0557.JPG

Above pic is before I switched from C to F. The sub-panel in the middle top is pretty warm.

BCMP6535.JPG

Above is inside that sub-panel. 127F on the bus bar is quite hot as well. Thermal images were from yesterday around noon, so probably a bit above 200A flowing through those bus bars.

LART5311.JPG

The 300 MCM Cu was not quite as hot.

Yeah, the ideal system I think would be to load up on the EG4 rack batteries and hope that the Sunny Island 8.0H will be able to communicate with it. Not in a great rush to run out and buy batteries and a charger, so I'll wait things out a bit longer to see what else comes to market. My preference would be a low frequency inverter I think since I have some pretty heavy loads.

I got a new toy yesterday.

View attachment 112997

Above pic is before I switched from C to F. The sub-panel in the middle top is pretty warm.

View attachment 112999

Above is inside that sub-panel. 127F on the bus bar is quite hot as well. Thermal images were from yesterday around noon, so probably a bit above 200A flowing through those bus bars.

View attachment 113001

The 300 MCM Cu was not quite as hot.
I don’t think the EG4s communicate with SMAs. The SOK server rack rack batteries are much closer to communicating with US Sunny Islands. No idea on European versions.

Edit: Reread after fully awake. This makes more sense now lol.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know the EG4s won't communicate with the current gen Sunny Islands sold in the US. Hoping that the next gen ones can and/or that there will be other low frequency inverter options that can AND also regulate the output of Sunny Boys by regulating the frequency on the AC side.

Yeah, I know the EG4s won't communicate with the current gen Sunny Islands sold in the US. Hoping that the next gen ones can and/or that there will be other low frequency inverter options that can AND also regulate the output of Sunny Boys by regulating the frequency on the AC side.
Yeah, realized what you were saying after I looked at in a second time.

@crazydane Sweet setup!
Looks familiar, I think I've seen your crypto rigs on one of the crypto channels, is this correct?

Hello crazydane, Did you use lag bolts to attach the 10-foot long struts to the wood? Are you using 2x8 or 2x10 and are the posts 6x6? How long are the lag bolts? Any photos??? Thanks in advance for your reply

@BradCagle Yep, Voskcoin came out and did a couple of YouTube videos with me.

@z_zk_z Combination of lag bolts and structural brackets to attach the struts. I believe both horizontal and angled struts are 2x12s. I'll double check and also take some close up photos. Yes, the posts are 6x6s.

I'm currently in the process of running 400A service directly to the shop building and basically making the house a secondary building instead of the other way around. This way the shop can house the batteries, inverters, generator, etc.

These days they make you drop conduit in the ditch instead of direct burial.

IMG_E2422.JPG

IMG_E2433.JPG

IMG_E2430.JPG

170' run from the pole to the new meter base.

IMG_E2438.JPG

They will pull 500 MCM to the meter. So instead of this:

Pole -> 200' MCM 350 -> House -> 200' MCM 500 - > Shop

It will just be:

Pole -> 170' MCM 500 -> Shop

When I'm ready, they will just move my Net meter from the old base at the house, to the new one at the shop.

My main challenge will be disconnecting and relocating the 400A disconnect and transfer switch from the house to the shop, while keeping the house powered.

Last edited:
I feel so inadequate now.

On a side note. There is an old paper mill up in Ponderay for sale. They have a 750 megawatt feed feed and can run over 2,000 crypto miners.
If I were you I would look into crypto mining during summer months. Be worth a whole heck of a lot more then selling back to power co.

our panels.jpg

Last edited:
Looking Really nice. Thanks for Sharing. I'm Guessing you've done a little electrical work before? ?

They will pull 500 MCM to the meter. So instead of this:

Pole -> 200' MCM 350 -> House -> 200' MCM 500 - > Shop

It will just be:

Pole -> 170' MCM 500 -> Shop

When I'm ready, they will just move my Net meter from the old base at the house, to the new one at the shop.

My main challenge will be disconnecting and relocating the 400A disconnect and transfer switch from the house to the shop, while keeping the house powered.
Have you thought about using industrial-grade inverters yet? Sol-ARk has a 30K and a 60K coming soon.

One thing I have begun to notice is just how much "power" we can harness versus how little of the area we are covering. I have a much smaller setup (13kWp) but capture more than twice what I use on barely 12% of my dirt.

Have you thought about using industrial-grade inverters yet? Sol-ARk has a 30K and a 60K coming soon.

One thing I have begun to notice is just how much "power" we can harness versus how little of the area we are covering. I have a much smaller setup (13kWp) but capture more than twice what I use on barely 12% of my dirt.
Those are 3 phase inverters

Yeah, it seems that industrial-grade inverters are all 3 phase unfortunately. The Sol-ARK 15k is about as big as they come for regular single phase residential. I'm happy with my SBs, although I sure wish they made some larger than 7.7k.

Anyway, I got the disconnect and transfer switches moved down to the shop and fully installed:

IMG_E2543.JPG

Closeup of the "junction box" on the right:

IMG_E2546.JPG

IMG_E2539.JPG

County inspector passed it yesterday, including this hack keeping the lights on in the house until the power entry point is moved to the shop:

IMG_E2491.JPG

I was expecting him to give me a hard time about it, but he didn't.

Once the power is killed to the existing meter base, I'll button up the 6x6 wireway. It will be a tight fit for sure to get those Polaris connectors connected to those short stubs of 300 MCM coming up from below. I do have some splicers in case I need to extend L1 or L2 a little.

Here's a simplified diagram I did for him to just a very high level view of how things are connected:

diagram_simple.jpg

So the solar sub-panel is landing upstream of the transfer switch so that during a power outage, the SBs will stay offline and not attempt to backfeed power into the generator. That was the one thing the inspector asked me about a couple of times.

Long term plans will be to replace the transfer switch with inverters and a battery bank. At that time, I'll split to SBs into 2 sub-panels, one to feed directly into the grid as shown above, and the other one to be "islanded" behind the inverter. This way the inverter(s) will only need to be sized to handle the load of the shop and house, and not needing the capacify to feed 60kW back into the grid.

The 500 MCM L1 and L2 lines are hanging from the conduit and ready to be connected as soon as the POCO can get a crew back out here, which should be early next week.

IMG_2542.JPG

So this weekend will mark the beginning of the 3rd week where my entire solar plant has been offline while migrating. :(

Last edited:
I see a skinny ground wire in a couple places, and bonded to fat neutral in one box.
What I don't see is a fat ground wire running through.
There is a fat green wire bonded to neutral second box from the left.

Hmm, what looked like fat neutral skinny ground on left box, I think wire has white phasing tape but should be green.

I think fat green wire does go from 3rd box to 4th on right, but haven't spotted fat bond to enclosure in 4th box, just skinny external wire.

Oh, is box on left service entrance, with L1, L2, undersize in-insulated neutral?
In that case, it has neutral-ground bond there. But then second neutral/ground bond in 2nd box.
I think that is not "proper", although in practical terms the wire with white phasing tape is serving as an extension of the neutral & ground busbar of the left box.
To be proper, I think ground wire from 2nd box is supposed to extend to 1st box, not bond to neutral in 2nd box.
Neutral would also extend from 2nd box to 1st box, and that is where they join.

Back