diy solar

diy solar

My DIY Experience with a MN3024DIY Hybrid Inverter

Ebeltwo

After viewing my cabin solar system, a friend asked me to help him plan and install a similar system for his remote cabin. My system consists of 2,400 watts of solar panels, a Magnum MS4024PAE inverter/charger, a Midnite Classic, a 10,800-wh Trojan T-105 battery bank, and a 11-kw diesel generator. I use the generator for occasional heavy loads such as an air conditioner (3 or 4 times a year!) and a cloths dryer. This system has worked flawlessly for me over the last several years.

In consideration of his expected loads and budget, we decided that a 3 or 4-kw pure sine wave inverter would be sufficient. My friend’s system will not be required to operate heavy loads. His existing 3000-watt non-inverter gas generator was deemed adequate to charge the batteries and occasionally operate a 1500-watt water heater. We also planned to install 1800 watts of solar panels and a 10,800-wh flooded lead acid battery bank.

We originally intended to purchase a MS4024PAE and a Midnite Classic, however, at around $4000 (Canadian) it proved too much for his budget. In our search for an alternative, we found a Victron inverter that had excellent reviews, and a Midnite MN3024DIY hybrid inverter. According to the MN3024DIY spec sheet, this unit would provide the inverter, transfer switch, ac charger and an MPPT charger all in one unit. At approximately 1/2 half the cost of the Victron and a charger, and less then ¼ the cost of my Magnum and Classic, it was an attractive alternative. “Too good to be true”, we thought. But with the “Midnite” name stamped on it we were convinced to give it a try! If it didn’t work out for our purposes, we would go purchase the Victron equipment and resell the Midnite.

We purchased the MN3024DIY on eBay and a battery monitor from Amazon. The solar panels, batteries, and the associated hardware were readily available from local suppliers. Over a few days we were able to install the complete system and set up the inverter. When we powered the system, it worked exactly as expected. We tested the inverter with the usual household loads, being careful not to exceed the inverter’s rated total current rating, and it worked perfectly. When we started the generator, the transfer switch operated smoothly, and the charger kicked in and supplied current to the batteries (although not the full 40-amp charge, as the batteries had been fully charged before installation). Perfect system? Not quite!

My friend found a serious flaw in the system a couple of days after the installation. One morning he discovered his batteries were deeply discharged. The previous night he had turned the water heater on for 40 minutes. He assumed the heater was being powered by the generator. But this may not have been the case.

Apparently, when he turned on the water heater breaker at his distribution panel, the inverter Bypass had tripped and caused the heater to be supplied from the batteries rather than the generator. (I assume the inverter attempted to transfer repeatedly while the heater was on). Not good! Additionally, with the batteries now low, when he started the generator, he noticed the Bypass would trip as the ac charging current ramped up to its 40-amp setting.

Upon investigation we noticed the Bypass was tripping as the generator was responding to the increased load. According to the inverter display the input frequency was dropping 2 to 4 Hz., which was expected. The engine was not being overloaded and well within its output current rating. A second non-inverter generator gave us the same results. A quick reference to the Midnite Owner’s manual indicated the operating frequency range for the MN3024DIY to be 57-65 Hz.

Apparently, this inverter cannot be used with a non-inverter 3000-watt portable generator! We later confirmed this by borrowing a 2000-watt inverter generator from a neighbour. Even with the lower wattage rating the system worked perfectly within the limits of the generator current rating. A quick temporary fix was to reduce the charge current limit to 25 amps and to power the water heater and any other household load directly from the generator.

This issue was completely unexpected! My Magnum MS4024PAE has an operating frequency range of 50-70 Hz. And we assumed the Midnite would have a similar range.

If my friend’s generator had been an inverter type, we would not have found fault with the MN3024DIY. Installation and set up was straightforward and it worked exactly as we expected. In fact, the whole system operated nicely. Should it prove to be reliable and robust over the next few years I would recommend it as a good cost-effective alternative to LF units for similar installation requirements. Unfortunately, it seems that in this case any savings we made from selecting the MN3024DIY has been lost because my friend now needs to spend another $2000 on an inverter generator!

Last edited:
After viewing my cabin solar system, a friend asked me to help him plan and install a similar system for his remote cabin. My system consists of 2,400 watts of solar panels, a Magnum MS4024PAE inverter/charger, a Midnite Classic, a 10,800-kwh Trojan T-105 battery bank, and a 11-kw diesel generator. I use the generator for occasional heavy loads such as an air conditioner (3 or 4 times a year!) and a cloths dryer. This system has worked flawlessly for me over the last several years.

In consideration of his expected loads and budget, we decided that a 3 or 4-kw pure sine wave inverter would be sufficient. My friend’s system will not be required to operate heavy loads. His existing 3000-watt non-inverter gas generator was deemed adequate to charge the batteries and occasionally operate a 1500-watt water heater. We also planned to install 1800 watts of solar panels and a 10,800-kwh flooded lead acid battery bank.

We originally intended to purchase a MS4024PAE and a Midnite Classic, however, at around $4000 (Canadian) it proved too much for his budget. In our search for an alternative, we found a Victron inverter that had excellent reviews, and a Midnite MN3024DIY hybrid inverter. According to the MN3024DIY spec sheet, this unit would provide the inverter, transfer switch, ac charger and an MPPT charger all in one unit. At approximately 1/2 half the cost of the Victron and a charger, and less then ¼ the cost of my Magnum and Classic, it was an attractive alternative. “Too good to be true”, we thought. But with the “Midnite” name stamped on it we were convinced to give it a try! If it didn’t work out for our purposes, we would go purchase the Victron equipment and resell the Midnite.

We purchased the MN3024DIY on eBay and a battery monitor from Amazon. The solar panels, batteries, and the associated hardware were readily available from local suppliers. Over a few days we were able to install the complete system and set up the inverter. When we powered the system, it worked exactly as expected. We tested the inverter with the usual household loads, being careful not to exceed the inverter’s rated total current rating, and it worked perfectly. When we started the generator, the transfer switch operated smoothly, and the charger kicked in and supplied current to the batteries (although not the full 40-amp charge, as the batteries had been fully charged before installation). Perfect system? Not quite!

My friend found a serious flaw in the system a couple of days after the installation. One morning he discovered his batteries were deeply discharged. The previous night he had turned the water heater on for 40 minutes. He assumed the heater was being powered by the generator. But this may not have been the case.

Apparently, when he turned on the water heater breaker at his distribution panel, the inverter Bypass had tripped and caused the heater to be supplied from the batteries rather than the generator. (I assume the inverter attempted to transfer repeatedly while the heater was on). Not good! Additionally, with the batteries now low, when he started the generator, he noticed the Bypass would trip as the ac charging current ramped up to its 40-amp setting.

Upon investigation we noticed the Bypass was tripping as the generator was responding to the increased load. According to the inverter display the input frequency was dropping 2 to 4 Hz., which was expected. The engine was not being overloaded and well within its output current rating. A second non-inverter generator gave us the same results. A quick reference to the Midnite Owner’s manual indicated the operating frequency range for the MN3024DIY to be 57-65 Hz.

Apparently, this inverter cannot be used with a non-inverter 3000-watt portable generator! We later confirmed this by borrowing a 2000-watt inverter generator from a neighbour. Even with the lower wattage rating the system worked perfectly within the limits of the generator current rating. A quick temporary fix was to reduce the charge current limit to 25 amps and to power the water heater and any other household load directly from the generator.

This issue was completely unexpected! My Magnum MS4024PAE has an operating frequency range of 50-70 Hz. And we assumed the Midnite would have a similar range.

If my friend’s generator had been an inverter type, we would not have found fault with the MN3024DIY. Installation and set up was straightforward and it worked exactly as we expected. In fact, the whole system operated nicely. Should it prove to be reliable and robust over the next few years I would recommend it as a good cost-effective alternative to LF units for similar installation requirements. Unfortunately, it seems that in this case any savings we made from selecting the MN3024DIY has been lost because my friend now needs to spend another $2000 on an inverter generator!
Having dealt with solar system issues for over 30 years I can tell you that the number 1 issue is with generators. I do not understand why the DIY inverter specs only allow the frequency range down to 57 Hz.? That seems pretty high for a high frequency inverter. The Magnum and all other transformer based inverters do have a hard lower limit that they can run down to otherwise the transformer saturates and it will blow up. So, those inverters disconnect the generator before reaching that point. A high frequency inverter/charger should not have this limitation since it does not have the big heavy 60Hz type of transformer. I will investigate why our inverter has a limit of 57 Hz. and will see if that can be improved. Over the years I have answered a thousand calls like this. I was dealing with much more expensive inverter/chargers though like Trace, MAgnum, Xantrex, SMA, OutBack and Schneider and expected much more of a generator to be in the system as it is a critical part of any off-grid system. When talking to a customer one of my first questions was "Does your generator have wheels and handles?" I always suggested a prime power generator for serious off-grid installations, but that is not the market here. I suspect that the generator is actually dipping below 57 Hz. The circuitry inside the DIY showing frequency is going to be averaging the frequency. It will not display quick lower dips in frequency. I still do not understand why the DIY can only handle 57 Hz. though? I will definitely try to get this limit changed. As far as blowing breakers, that is pretty easy. The current for the input breaker has been exceeded. The charger input to the inverter may be limited to 40 amps, but you are also running house loads at the same time through the pass through circuit. Inverters that I have been involved with in the past would sense the total current coming in and out of the inverter/charger and would back off charging if the house loads were large enough to exceed the input breaker rating. That assumes that the input rating of the breaker was correctly programmed into the inverter/charger. The inverter/charger cannot back off if it doesn't know what size your breaker is. Now does the DIY back off? Does it have an input amps setting? I do not know and I apologize for not knowing my own product better. I will get someone to research this and post an answer here. In the meantime I will see if anything can be done about the 57 Hz limit. Like I said though over the past 30+ years the biggest problem with systems has been generators that have wheels and handles. Smaller generators have more problems than larger ones due to instability at higher loads. Don't do what one customer did though. He removed his wheels and handles and then called back to say it didn't fix his problem!

Can you tell me the make and model of the generator? I want to see about getting one here to test with. I would like to understand the make and model of the water heater also if possible

Ryan

While I wait for this info a couple points that seem worth mentioning.
In cases of larger electric loads that are to much for the battery system in an off grid system I always liked to wire them into the generator side so they could only be powered by the generator.
Also on portable generators I always find them to run slow, Typically I see 58Hz or so. I usually crank them up to around 62Hz that way when loaded down they settle in around 60Hz

I dug deeper into this last night, menu item 03 should be set to APL when using a generator, This opens the frequency window to 40-70HZ and also widens the acceptable voltage window. I will work with Doug today to get the manual updated but please try setting 03 to APL

The generator used was a non-inverter 3000 watt Champion. The water heater is a small RV type with a 120 volt 1500 watt element. With the generator running and the inverter in Bypass, when the heater was turned on and the generator loaded down, the inverter would revert back to the batteries.
I ignored step 3 during setup. The voltage range for each selection is stated to be the same for a 120 volt input. Also there is no mention that the operating frequency range would change.
I will change the selection in step 3 and test the results. If the frequency range is widened it will solve the problem, but will the Bypass still operate automatically when the generator is shutdown/ started.
Thanks for your response.

The bypass will still operate it just opens the windows on the Hz and Vac. We need to get the manual updated for sure but with a portable generator this 03 menu is important. I would still check the generator at no load for Hz and set it to around 62 so it settles in at 60 ish under a decent load. A slight turn of the throttle screw should get you there using a DVM to monitor.

Please report back on menu 03 and your results

Ok.
The cottage is a couple of hours drive for me, but I had my friend change the setting to APL, and he will monitor the inverter closely over the next few days. At this time the batteries are about 80% SOC and therefore the charger is not at maximum current. Still, he applied a 1500 watt load with the generator running and observed that the Bypass and charger were not affected. Looks promising!
I'll report back once I complete a full test.
Thanks you for the help.

We were able to test the system over the last few days and found no problems. It seems the APL selection in step 3 of the set-up menu solved our issues. With maximum battery charging (40 amps) and full Bypass load the generator drooped as expected but the MS30248DIY was not affected. Thanks to Halfcrazy for your help. At this time I can highly recommend this inverter unit for anyone with similar application requirements.

We were able to test the system over the last few days and found no problems. It seems the APL selection in step 3 of the set-up menu solved our issues. With maximum battery charging (40 amps) and full Bypass load the generator drooped as expected but the MS30248DIY was not affected. Thanks to Halfcrazy for your help. At this time I can highly recommend this inverter unit for anyone with similar application requirements.
That's good to hear! I was up at Midnite last week when they were testing both a 3024DIY and a 3048DIY and verified the APL setting numbers. The variable AC power supply used only went down to 45Hz, but they held there and then dropped off/disconnected up at 70Hz. AC input voltage range they disconnected below 90 Volts and then up at 140 Volts. So with APL enabled even the cheapest gensets should work fine with those wide ranges of input voltages and Hz.

For traditional synchronous generators, engine rpm govenor control stability is biggest issue for hybrid inverters.

Hybrid inverters have narrow AC phase tracking bandwidth, meaning they cannot track a wobbling rpm govenor controlled generator.

The hybrid inverters can take up to about 0.3 Hz per second of frequency wobble before they can no longer track the rate of phase change and will release from generator. For a 3600 rpm generator, that is only +/-18 rpm wobble per second around 3600 rpm.

An inverter-generator electronically controls the AC output frequency so has excellent frequency stability. If used in ECO mode, where engine rpm varies based on AC loading, there can be a momentary dip in AC sinewave voltage peaks when a sudden load is applied until engine speeds up to meet new AC load demand. Although much less of a problem, this can also cause a hybrid inverter to disconnect from inverter-generator. If hybrid inverter can meet most of the AC load surge demand it will prevent the inverter-generator sinewave peak voltage dip due to sudden surge loads when it is running in variable rpm ECO mode.

If planning to use a generator to suppliment power, stick with a low freq hybrid inverter. High freq hybrid inverters are generally less capable of handling current surges likely to happen when connected to generator, like when a generator begins to run out of gas.

One of the advantages of using a battery based hybrid-inverter with generator for battery charging is the generator can be sized to battery charging requirements and run at a generator AC loading to yield the best fuel efficiency. Low freq hybrid inverters also have good input AC power factor during charging. Some HF inverters just use output MOSFETs' body diodes as AC rectifiers so have poor charging AC input power factor.

Last edited:
Back