diy solar

diy solar

My DIY off-grid Cabin setup in Ontario Canada (24vdc-120vac)

I'm curious about the rational for having a stand-alone breaker for the generator inlet when the generator has it's own breakers - especially one with a larger rating than the ones built-in to the generator.

Is there a failure mode that is intended to address? Are you just being careful by having redundant safety devices? Or is it maybe a function of code compliance?

I'm curious about the rational for having a stand-alone breaker for the generator inlet when the generator has it's own breakers - especially one with a larger rating than the ones built-in to the generator.

Is there a failure mode that is intended to address? Are you just being careful by having redundant safety devices? Or is it maybe a function of code compliance?
1) This is recommended by Samlex as they do not provide built-in breakers. Their products are UL, ETL & CSA Certified and are compliant by having an external AC Breaker.
2) Relying on a breaker which is within the Generator can be dubious regardless of genset brand and is subject to all sorts of variables that cannot be taken into account for compliance. Some ground a genny, others don't, some are fixed ground mounted gensets while others are portables etc...

Also, this is for my own safety and protecting my gear which I depend on for living. I have far more trust in say a Square D AC Breaker doing what it is supposed to when it is supposed to than some "Who Knows What Brand from God only Knows Where" breakers/fuses.

Same applies to my DC Breakers which are ALL from Midnite Solar who only uses Top Grade High Quality products which do cost a bit more but add a LOT of "Peace of Mind" for the bit of extra $ spent.

Back