diy solar

diy solar

My eco worthy 195w panels just performed over spec

Greendream

Off-grid Beginner
I got a max PV input of 4.0Kw off of my 20x 195w panels today at noon. I usually see 3.6 or 3.7 Kw as a high even on clear days. The setup is only about 2 months since it was installed. Seemed like some clouds in the sky at the time which surprised me. I have a little more confidence in these panels now.

How long did it peak?
Seemed like some clouds in the sky at the time which surprised me.
I have heard of something called cloud-edge-effect where the cloud edge acts like a prism and can temporarily magnify the sunlight. (I have never seen a situation where it seemed like that was happening.)

How long did it peak?

I have heard of something called cloud-edge-effect where the cloud edge acts like a prism and can temporarily magnify the sunlight. (I have never seen a situation where it seemed like that was happening.)

It was up and down between 3.5-4.0 Kw for at least 10 minutes. Ive heard of that as well and wondered if it may had been the case. My panels are ground mounted true south but the angle is fixed so i never even expected to witness max spec.

It was up and down between 3.5-4.0 Kw for at least 10 minutes. Ive heard of that as well and wondered if it may had been the case. My panels are ground mounted true south but the angle is fixed so i never even expected to witness max spec.
It sounds like you witnessed it!

I just googled the effect. It is interesting that there seems to be a debate on what is causing it: Refraction or Reflection (Scattering).
Either could explain it. Anything that changes the angle of the incoming light would mean someplace is going to get both direct and angle-changed light.

I got a max PV input of 4.0Kw off of my 20x 195w panels today at noon. I usually see 3.6 or 3.7 Kw as a high even on clear days. The setup is only about 2 months since it was installed. Seemed like some clouds in the sky at the time which surprised me. I have a little more confidence in these panels now.
I like those also. Bought a couple to throw together a quick 2-12v/100ah setup. (1 panel per battery was my thought). Anyway they are still doing great after 3 months... only need run few basic things until tiny house completed.

Could simply be the the panels were cool from being in the "shade" of the cloud and the sudden full sun did magic.

I've seen upwards of 138 watts from my 100w portable and 50w super cheap junk panels in that exact situation that "edge effect" seems to be describing. Could be it or could be that effect exists.

Either way, once the panels got hot that rapidly went away and no amount of intermittent cloud/sun alternation brought back my precious watts.

Back