diy solar

diy solar

My first blueprint for 12V 400W camper setup. Anyone willing to check for mayor failures?

Redundant safety. Another path to insure a fuse blows or an internal fault can dissipate.

The weird thing (to me) is most of the commodity units case/chassis ground have a stud size that looks like a 10ga wire was intended. In my head I’d want it much much bigger for DC. Size of the studs suggest they intended them for an AC application?!

Chassis grounding can also help with electrical noise issues that can affect sensitive circuits. Just makes sure all of the cases/chassis of devices are at same potential (zero)...

If you look at faraday cages / boxes, they ground those boxes, which helps so anything operating inside of it is kind of in its own world so to speak, and better shielded from things (noise) going on in the outside world (also helps to keep the noise it produces inside, not to affect things outside of it).

Even though the 2 grounds are the same potential-wise, generally they keep 2 paths, one for actual device current flow, and the other ground is for safety path and shielding effect.

Since your total loads can be well over 100A at times, you may be better off getting 2 SOK 12V 100Ah batteries and putting them in parallel. This will give you 200A max continuous discharge.
I will think about it. For now I'm still able to reduce the load to 100amps. And if soon realize that i need more, I will probably buy another 200ah SOK. Thanks for the idea

I will think about it. For now I'm still able to reduce the load to 100amps. And if soon realize that i need more, I will probably buy another 200ah SOK. Thanks for the idea
The single SOK 206 will be good for 140A. At least mine are.

The single SOK 206 will be good for 140A. At least mine are.
I don't wish to derail this thread with this discussion. Another thread would be a better place to discuss this in more detail. I just wanted to let the OP know so they can make a more informed decision. Please don't take this as anything negative.

You should mention that your experience with exceeding the specified max continuous discharge current is very limited at this point (from what I've seen). While your recent tests seem to indicate that the battery can handle 140A discharge, that doesn't mean it should be done. Perhaps doing so has negative effects on the battery cells that will not present themselves in the short term. In the end SOK may update their documented specs and we can all rejoice. But it may be premature to recommend to others that it is OK to exceed the documented specs based on some anecdotal evidence. I applaud your efforts to test the boundaries in your own setup but I will personally stick with the documented specs in mine.

I don't wish to derail this thread with this discussion. Another thread would be a better place to discuss this in more detail. I just wanted to let the OP know so they can make a more informed decision. Please don't take this as anything negative.

You should mention that your experience with exceeding the specified max continuous discharge current is very limited at this point (from what I've seen). While your recent tests seem to indicate that the battery can handle 140A discharge, that doesn't mean it should be done. Perhaps doing so has negative effects on the battery cells that will not present themselves in the short term. In the end SOK may update their documented specs and we can all rejoice. But it may be premature to recommend to others that it is OK to exceed the documented specs based on some anecdotal evidence. I applaud your efforts to test the boundaries in your own setup but I will personally stick with the documented specs in mine.
Agree. I think the OP would be well served with a single SOK 206 and see how that goes. Then add a second if required/desired. That's what I ended up doing. Just make sure you wire and protect for the larger amps now.

I am looking at buying a third one to keep my discharge below 100A/battery. And then a 4th because I don't like prime numbers. And then more solar because I still have space for panels. And, and, and...

Back