diy solar

diy solar

My first off grid solar installation - any concerns?

sobee

My first solar system was fired up today! I am sharing pictures/details so the more experienced can critique as I don't know what I don't know.

Component list:
- 12 volt starter battery; probably about 70 to 80 amp hour (I know this should be upgraded, but it is what I had kicking around)
- 315 Watt Longi Solar Panel (LR6-60HPH): VOC = 40.6 volts; Isc = 9.94 amps
- Victron Phoenix 12/375 inverter: 300 W continuous; 700 W peak; zero load is 5.6 W
- Victron Smart Solar 100/20 MPPT: 20 A and 100 VOC; nominal PV power is 290 W on 12Volt set-up. I'm slightly over-paneled, but well under the VOC rating and according to Victron, that is OK
- 10 x 15 x 1/4" galvanized grounding plate
- 6 gauge grounding wire to bus bar
- all black insulated wire is 10 gauge. I had a bunch of black wire to use up. If it's wrapped with red electrical tape at the terminal, it is positive.
- green wire is 10 gauge and used for grounding.
- Powerfist 30 amp stud type automatic resettable circuit breaker (wrapped in red tape in picture)
- 2 Tocas Thermal circuit breakers rated for 30 amps

Panel is mounted at around 30 degrees from vertical. Ideal is 24 degrees for December and 54 for the summer. It will primarily be used in the winter, so that is why the angle favors winter. It is mounted with 4 bolts as per Longi's recommendation for heavy loads. 60 MPH wind gusts are fairly common in this area. I hope this is sufficient.

I used a cement fiber board over top of 3/4" plywood as a backer for mounting the electrical components to give myself a bit of "fire insurance".

In all cases, I've used the largest gauge wire that the devices can accommodate. The only exception to this is the wire connected to the inverter. The inverter can accommodate 8 gauge, but I used 10 gauge. The user manual for the inverter indicates that 10 gauge is acceptable if the length of the wire is < 1.5 m (4.9') which is true in my installation.

The wiring is a bit of a mess, but I managed to keep the runs relatively short and I think I avoided putting much stress on wires at connection points. If you are trying to trace the wiring, the wires from PV are on the far left of the diagram. The positive goes to the Tocas circuit breaker and then the MPPT. I'm mainly using the Tocas circuit breakers for switches.

The inverter is remotely switched on and off by the charge controller (yellow wire). The load circuit is programmed to turn on when the battery voltage is over 13.75 volts, stay on for 1 hour, and turn off if the battery voltage drops below 12.5 volts; thus the inverter will follow the same. I know these are odd voltages to use. I've got a tiny load on the inverter (<10 watts), and it only needs to come on once a day for an hour. Thus, I figure I will try and get it to only use the battery when there is sun out to replenish it. This battery isn't appropriate for deep cycles and it is an unheated shed so I want to keep voltage high enough to prevent freezing. If/when I get some lights or need to use power tools, I'm going to have to change the programming. Fortunately, the Bluetooth connection to the MPPT makes this relatively easy to do.

I installed the system and put the largest load I could put on the inverter without it tripping off. I ran it for a number of minutes and couldn't feel any heating in the wires. I've double checked all connections and things are tight.

Any comments/concerns? Have I missed anything? It's powered down until I get some feedback. Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• IMG-2105.JPG
    IMG-2105.JPG
    163.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG-2106.JPG
    IMG-2106.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG-2108.JPG
    IMG-2108.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 54
A few questions/comments

1) Nothing jumped out at me as completely broken, but there are a few nits.
2) How are you using the grounding plate? Is it burried in the ground?
3) 10 AWG is the smallest you would want to use on the DC side of a 375W inverter. The nominal max continuous current for the inverter would be 375/12= 31.2 A but 10 AWG is rated for 30 AMP. The reality is the battery will probably be well above 12V all the time so you can get away with this....
4) The breaker between the solar panel and the SCC is un-needed.
A solar panel can handle a short circuit without a problem. Even if you did get a short, a 30A breaker would never pop with that panel.
5) The 30A breaker on the battery circuit is barley big enough for the current load... but is just the right size for 10AWG wires. There is a chance you will get nuisance trips, particularly if you have something that has a high start surge. I would want to have 8AWG and a 35 or 40A breaker for the battery circuit.
6) Battery Breaker and the Powerfist 30 amp stud type breaker should be closer to the battery. If you get a short between the battery and the breaker....a lot of smoke will come out of your system.

20A from your SCC will fry your 80Ah lead starting battery.
Yes, it looks like the charge current is slightly high. LA can usually be charged at .3C. .3*80=24.
If we assume the voltage never goes below 12.4V the charge current would be 300/12.4=24.2. With system losses, it might actually be OK....but the first pass numbers indicate the charge rate is high.
Note: Typically the battery voltage will be closer to 12.6 to 13V so with system losses, the charge current will probably stay below .3C

EDIT: Corrected the math for inverter current and added comments.

However, what is likely to do more damage to the battery is using a starter battery as a solar storage battery. Starter batteries *really* do not like to be discharged very deeply or for very long time. They are designed to dump a lot of current quickly and then immediately be recharged.

Last edited:
3) 10 AWG is the smallest you would want to use on the DC side of a 375W inverter. The nominal max continuous current for the inverter would be 375/12= 31.2 A but 10 AWG is rated for 30 AMP. The reality is the battery will probably be well above 12V all the time so you can get away with this....

5) The 30A breaker on the battery circuit is barley big enough for the current load... but is just the right size for 10AWG wires. There is a chance you will get nuisance trips, particularly if you have something that has a high start surge. I would want to have 8AWG and a 35 or 40A breaker for the battery circuit.

10 awg has ampacity 40A (90 degree C insulation, 3 wires in a cable), it's just that we're supposed to provide 30 amp over-current protection.
Single wire in free air like this application, ampacity is 55A.
It this was an appliance or vehicle, no one would bat an eye over putting 40A through it.

300W continuous inverter, that would be 25A at 12V if 100% efficiency and 30A fuse would be 20% headroom not 25%.
So long as load is less, like 250W or under, should be fine.

Oops I misread the OP's specs as a 375W inverter and then messed up and thought it was 315W. You are correct that 300/12=25. Consequently, the system has more headroom than I thought.

I will correct my post above.

Thank you very much for the feedback!

The grounding plate is buried 29" below grade just outside the building.

In summary:
- I shouldn't expect this battery to last long in this service
- if I want to make full use of my inverter, I should upgrade the wires to the inverter to 8 gauge and upgrade the Tocas breaker to 35 or 40 amp. I may hold off on this for now as my normal usage is 10 Watt. However, I will keep this in mind as I grow the system.

I said earlier that I had programmed the MPPT to turn on the load for 1 hour a day. That's what I thought I told it to do, but it isn't listening to me. More reading/googling required. The battery voltage disconnect and reconnect seem to be working as desired though.

Are you sure about the settings of your panels angles? Sounds to me like you inverted your numbers.

"Panel is mounted at around 30 degrees from vertical."
As the picture shows.

Back