diy solar

diy solar

My first prototype Solar panel stand

Bud Martin

Solar Wizard
I just start getting into the Solar system, my power requirement is only about 200Whr.
I bought two used Sunpower 230W panels from local seller to play with first, the PIP-1012LV just arrived today. I am still waiting for the LiFePO4 90ah and DALY BMS to show up for me to build the battery pack.
The stand I made can be rolled around and can be folded away when not in used, I just want to have enough power to power the fridge during power roll out here in California.
Bud Solar panel stand_11.jpgBud Solar panel stand_22.jpgBud Solar panel stand_33.jpg
Bud Solar panel stand_55.jpg
Bud Solar panel stand_66.jpg

Wait...
You only need 200Wh, but you have TWO 230W panels? That is over 1000 times your need...

Do you plan to keep your battery charged off of AC until you need to produce power?
Do you have wind concerns where you live?

Now go buy yourself a heavy locking cable to secure that thing! In a rolling blackout, those will go bye-bye quickly!

Nice design.

Do you plan to keep your battery charged off of AC until you need to produce power?
Do you have wind concerns where you live?
I just received the PIP-1012 yesterday but I do not have the battery pack yet. if I consume 200 Watt each hour and if I only use 1 panel then my battery will not be charged since the 200 Watts load will use up all the solar power, that is why I paln to use two panels so the battery can be charge by Solar at the same time, then at night I can run the system off the battery if I wanted to. Am I correct in my thinking that I need to have more power than I consume to be able to keep battery charged up? I will find out when I have it all connected to see what happen. The PIP-1012 also has untility power for charging the battery if the solar is not enough to charge the battery and running the load, that is my understanding how the PIP works. I still need to learn about the PIP as to what it can and cannot do.
I live about 30 miles north of San Francisco, last time when I had rolling black out I was without power for 4 days, so I want to be prepare this time. I was going to get the $400 generator from COSTCO but then I start watching WP videos and now I am hooked on DIY Solar system.

Last edited:
It’s probably better to talk in energy usage in watts per day. It collates with daily solar production

So from your 200Whr you mean 4800W per day (200W x 24hrs)

The daily solar insolation average for the planet is 5hrs per day so a flat unshaded 230W panel will produce 1,150W a day averaged over a year (more in summer, less in winter)

So even with 2 panels you are a bit short on daily power generation but it depends on your battery and how often you’ll need it whether this will work.

Panel angle will make a difference to my calculation too but this makes the biggest difference in the winter.

Ianganderton mentioned the angle related production level. If you are home and can keep them pointed largely at the sun you can make about 30%-40% more power. But if you can't keep them pointed to the sun, more panels can help keep your power level up. Depending on cloud cover, smog, fog, etc you might need to make a lot of power (to charge the battery) when you have clear sky or you might need to "over panel" because of smog and lack of clear sky. Either way more panels will help.

A 200w panel under normal conditions will produce less than 200w. If the panel is fixed, you will see an output bell shaped curve as the sun comes up and moves over. Only about 5 hours of the day are good if the panel is fixed. By good I mean 80% of the panel output (if you are lucky).

My usage will be about 10 hours a day, so about 5 ~ 6 hours during the day on Solar and 4 hours during the night on battery, then the the PIP will charge the battery during the night as needed when I go to bed.

I just received the PIP-1012 yesterday but I do not have the battery pack yet. if I consume 200 Watt each hour and if I only use 1 panel then my battery will not be charged since the 200 Watts load will use up all the solar power, that is why I paln to use two panels so the battery can be charge by Solar at the same time, then at night I can run the system off the battery if I wanted to. Am I correct in my thinking that I need to have more power than I consume to be able to keep battery charged up? I will find out when I have it all connected to see what happen. The PIP-1012 also has untility power for charging the battery if the solar is not enough to charge the battery and running the load, that is my understanding how the PIP works. I still need to learn about the PIP as to what it can and cannot do.
I live about 30 miles north of San Francisco, last time when I had rolling black out I was without power for 4 days, so I want to be prepare this time. I was going to get the $400 generator from COSTCO but then I start watching WP videos and now I am hooked on DIY Solar system.

ok, when you say 200Watts each hour, how many hours does this 200W draw exist? If sunup to sun down, ~12 hours, 2 260W panels will not cover your load...

As mentioned, stating watts per hour isn’t useful, without the number of hours the load will exist.
It’s best to state daily Wh load... as that calculates the total energy needed.

How does the PIP charge the battery during the night when the grid is down?
The PIP can be connected to house power, I can set so that when Solar power is not available it will swith to line operate battery charger, but if the grid is not available then it will not charge the battery which will be the condition during black out so I will have to wait till the sun comes up the next day to charge the battery again.

Back