diy solar

diy solar

My First System: What else should I buy?

kevolones

Hi Everyone!

Ive been watching Will's videos for a while now and have decided to get an "offgrid" system for my house. I already own 12 solar panels (used) but have yet to install anything. For now I want to start with having a backup option for essentials (Fridge, Fans....TV heh) in case power goes out.

Components I already own:
- 12x 315watts Jinko Solar Panels (Voc 46.2v, Isc: 9.01a)
- 1x Mpp Solar LVX6048 all in one inverter (48v, Split Phase capable)

Components Im looking to purchase:
- LifePo4 Battery
- Battery Disconnect Switch?
- PV Combiner Box for 2 maybe 3 strings (with breakers or fuses?)
- Transfer Switch.

I would love to hear your recommendations on devices I should get for the system, specially on the safety side of things. I would like to make this a safe environment to work on. Just want to have a list of things I should put together to make this work.

Any advice will be appreciated!

The LVX6048 includes an automatic transfer switch.
You should have over-current protection between your LVX6048 and the LFP battery.
A shunt based battery monitor is handy to have.

Thanks Joey!

Ill definitely add a Shunt to my list, I didnt have that in mind.

A rack or shelf system to mount all your batteries. They don't stack well and take up a lot of space otherwise.
Thats definitely something I need to buy if I go for the notmal style horizontal batteries. I was originally looking for a "powerwall" style Lifepo4 but the ones that are sold here are very expensive and usually have a low continuous current discharge (I read a post here on the importance of this). That has made me consider the other options.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Components I already own:
- 12x 315watts Jinko Solar Panels (Voc 46.2v, Isc: 9.01a)
- 1x Mpp Solar LVX6048 all in one inverter (48v, Split Phase capable)

Components Im looking to purchase:
- LifePo4 Battery
- Battery Disconnect Switch?
- PV Combiner Box for 2 maybe 3 strings (with breakers or fuses?)
- Transfer Switch.
How did your system turn out?

How did your system turn out?
Havent installed anything yet unfortunately. Still learning and researching stuff. TBH, trying to understand how Im going to tie everything to my house is whats taking most of my "research time".

Since then Ive purchased:

- Shunt monitor (victron bluetooth)
- Battery switch (blue sea systems)
- Class T fuse for in between LFP bank and inverter
- a bench to raise the batteries from the floor (created with unistruts).
- combiner box (Midnite Solar).

Next:
- Cables for in between batteries and home run to inverter. Thinking 4/0.
- Some kind of breaker box for quick disconnect inverter AC In and AC out. Not sure what to use for this yet.

Thanks for asking!

Can anyone advise if this box would be a good option for AC disconnect next to the inverter? If not, what is normally used for this purpose?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Powe...Lug-Circuit-Breaker-Panel-TL270SCUP/100177812

Was thinking of something like that paired with a 50amp breaker for inverter AC out would work and also provide and extra overcurrent protection. Thats the least expensive box I could find at my homedepot. I could get a second one for the inverter AC in too if Im going to use it.

Can anyone advise if this box would be a good option for AC disconnect next to the inverter? If not, what is normally used for this purpose?

I think a lot of people have the AC (grid) going to a main panel, and then a breaker feeding grid to the inverter. You would use that breaker as the disconnect unless you just want another one closer to the inverter.

Back