diy solar

diy solar

My magnetic flexible panel car roof mount

David1985

Hi all, I just wanted to show off a bit my solution for getting a 120w flexible panel to the roof of my Kia Niro. It was tough to find a panel with the correct dimensions but I found one on eBay. It'll do about 95w in ideal conditions but I average about 80w which is fine to run my fridge when it's laying flat.

I used 6 neodymium magnets with 25lbs each of holding force. That 25lbx6 is more than enough that this thing will never budge. I used corrugated plastic to give the panel an air barrier and bring the panel level with the magnet height. From there, I used 2 aluminum strips to hold the panel to the shape of the roof. On the front I added a normal window blind that creates a more aerodynamic shape. The magnets have a screw that comes up through the middle which I use to tighten everything down.

For testing it, I took a drive on the highway at night with no one around up to 80mph and it didn't move at all. I also took a leaf blower that does 130mph and tried to dislodge the panel and it also didn't flinch. I am pretty certain this thing isn't going anywhere. I'm pretty happy with how sleek and clean it looks. The seller description said they were Mono cells but they look pretty blue to me. I guess that's eBay for you. It would look better if they were black.

Let me know if you have any questions on it!

Attachments

• IMG_20220226_153018.jpg
    IMG_20220226_153018.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_20220226_153022.jpg
    IMG_20220226_153022.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20220226_153028.jpg
    IMG_20220226_153028.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 88
80 mph is the speed limit on the interstate around here. 15 to 30 mph winds + gusts are common. Fully loaded semis cruise at 80 when they can. I wonder what the airflow looks like on top of your vehicle in that situation.
Higher velocity = lower pressure, so your panel is being sucked up at any wind speed over zero.

I never want to be driving near you. Your panel may not hit my vehicle but the vehicle it hits may hit mine.
I think this is first time I have used "two thumbs down". (n)(n)

My question is, why would you think what you have done is safe enough for those around you?

Hi there, I appreciate the concern but after 500 miles of mostly highway, it has not moved whatsoever. There is about 150lbs of force holding it down which far exceeds any upward pressure that could take place. These are not your average magnets. Given the way the panel is formed to the roof and having the smooth lip in front, there is negligible air getting underneath panel. I rarely go over 75mph to maximize fuel efficiency as well. I would not do it this way if I didn't think it was safe.

For reference, this guy did something similar but with a raised glass panel and the upward force never exceeded 3% of the magnets' holding strength.

Last edited:
I know nothing about EVs other than they make funny noises in parking lots. Is this panel intended to charge your car's batteries and if so, how many miles of car travel will it provide on a sunny day?

It does look like it could be an oem component. Very clean.

80 mph is the speed limit on the interstate around here. 15 to 30 mph winds + gusts are common. Fully loaded semis cruise at 80 when they can. I wonder what the airflow looks like on top of your vehicle in that situation.
Higher velocity = lower pressure, so your panel is being sucked up at any wind speed over zero.

I never want to be driving near you. Your panel may not hit my vehicle but the vehicle it hits may hit mine.
I think this is first time I have used "two thumbs down". (n)(n)

My question is, why would you think what you have done is safe enough for those around you?
You seem like the type that would wear a life jacket so someone else doesn’t drown ?

Hi all, I just wanted to show off a bit my solution for getting a 120w flexible panel to the roof of my Kia Niro. It was tough to find a panel with the correct dimensions but I found one on eBay. It'll do about 95w in ideal conditions but I average about 80w which is fine to run my fridge when it's laying flat.

I used 6 neodymium magnets with 25lbs each of holding force. That 25lbx6 is more than enough that this thing will never budge. I used corrugated plastic to give the panel an air barrier and bring the panel level with the magnet height. From there, I used 2 aluminum strips to hold the panel to the shape of the roof. On the front I added a normal window blind that creates a more aerodynamic shape. The magnets have a screw that comes up through the middle which I use to tighten everything down.

For testing it, I took a drive on the highway at night with no one around up to 80mph and it didn't move at all. I also took a leaf blower that does 130mph and tried to dislodge the panel and it also didn't flinch. I am pretty certain this thing isn't going anywhere. I'm pretty happy with how sleek and clean it looks. The seller description said they were Mono cells but they look pretty blue to me. I guess that's eBay for you. It would look better if they were black.

Let me know if you have any questions on it!
I have hundreds of Neo magnets .. (lots of bucks)…..some little and some weigh pounds.. they are cool .. they are incredible in strength …. They can hurt you , crush your limbs and even kill you in seconds…but I love em..

I like your idea but I would use more magnets….spread out to where a failure of one or two doesn’t leave a whole section unattached and vulnerable. six doesn’t seem like enough…considering the consequence for failure on a highway I would want probably a 5- 10x safety margin .

Most safety devices use a much higher failure load VS working load .. also Neo unless is sealed or protected well it is very prone to rust if exposed to the elements…. and will crumble away to dust..

. I have to replace a few on my RV after only 3 years exposure to rain…

Your vid gives ma an idea of a cool project I may try…thank you…
Good job… I like it…
J.

Very cool indeed. Looks like the forces are abut 1/200th of what it would take the pull it off. I cant stop laughing at the comment abut going 80, lol. dims...
This would be perfect for getting to your camp spot then being able to angle your panels in any direction to point at the sun. I Was thinking of putting mine on a hinge so I can angle them, but would always have to park facing west for that to work, with magnets I could do anything.. You got me thinking now...

I like the OP's mod and the safety concerns shouldn't be minimized. Hundreds of people are killed every year by unsecured loads. Some drivers responsible for injuries and deaths are convicted, fined and/or sent to prison.

If the wing nuts are not nyloc nuts they should be replaced with nyloc nuts. I'd take @JRH's advice add a few more magnets and/or consider some sort of back-up such as a cable attached to the rack. As mentioned, the risk of failure is high.

Reactions: JRH
Back