diy solar

diy solar

My Megarevo 8K went boom.

We are all different. Some of the best moments of my life involved taking risks.
I’m not against taking risks. :)
I’m an off-roader with a ‘modified’ jeep, I’ve fished in life-threatening gales on Champlain, and I’ve ridden my CB350F on 1970s tires almost to 100mph a couple of years back. All fun!

But I just ain’t never been able to bring myself to Ali, Baba.

I’m not against taking risks. :)
I’m an off-roader with a ‘modified’ jeep, I’ve fished in life-threatening gales on Champlain, and I’ve ridden my CB350F on 1970s tires almost to 100mph a couple of years back. All fun!

But I just ain’t never been able to bring myself to Ali, Baba.
I had no other choice. At least not a choice with a price tag smaller than $6,000-8,000.

So, I don't want to jinx it but this is what is happening:

Lovsun surprised me. They are sending a new inverter. It will cost me about $600 shipping (assuming I can avoid tariffs being a replacement) but that's still better than $2,500 down the drain.
Megarevo never responded. Even the email contact who previously (very slowly) responded to technical inquiries has ignored multiple emails about the warranty. Same with their FB CS, WhatsApp and other e-mail contacts. I have not tried calling over the phone. Zero response.
I bought this same unit under the GSL brand. GSL has been responsive, but hadn't come up with any solutions to my problems (mainly firmware upgrade) for weeks, so my unit was down all that time.
I wrote a review on Alibaba, since I paid through them, and it got their CEO's attention pretty quickly and they got me fixed within 24 hours. Not sure if that would help you or not.

I bought this same unit under the GSL brand. GSL has been responsive, but hadn't come up with any solutions to my problems (mainly firmware upgrade) for weeks, so my unit was down all that time.
I wrote a review on Alibaba, since I paid through them, and it got their CEO's attention pretty quickly and they got me fixed within 24 hours. Not sure if that would help you or not.
I did get the replacement from the retailer thankfully.

With all its quirks, I have been successfully using an R8NA Megarevo hybrid inverter for about 6 months.
This morning it started throwing various errors - grid frequency, voltage, busbar voltage, iso, etc. I said Ok, let's reboot. Not the first time I had to do that.
During reboot, I hear a loud bang, and a small piece of plastic flies out of the case. It's dead now. It replaced a 6KW SUnpower inverter that ran for 9 years nonstop with the same solar array.
I played the lottery and lost. I put so much effort into this. Maybe someone can identify what component blew up.
Is this the same as R8KLNA with the 4 mppts? Looking at purchasing. Now, I wonder

Is this the same as R8KLNA with the 4 mppts? Looking at purchasing. Now, I wonder
It is. It really depends on how risk tolerant you are. Don't expect much support from the manufacturer.

It is. It really depends on how risk tolerant you are. Don't expect much support from the manufacturer.
Well heck guess I will look at the mppsolar more. I like the 4 mppts perfect for my set up. Not perfect if it goes boom. I would use total off grid. Thank you for responding

Well heck guess I will look at the mppsolar more. I like the 4 mppts perfect for my set up. Not perfect if it goes boom. I would use total off grid. Thank you for responding
If you don't need a hybrid mode and the relatively rare ability to export from battery to grid, you have options.

If you don't need a hybrid mode and the relatively rare ability to export from battery to grid, you have options.
Any suggestions. I am currently using growatt spf5000 es with transformer.
I am creating new load center gor my pool,minisplits seperate from house. Long story short I have parasite in house load box. Trying to locate. Cement walls ,ground connects all make it frustrating for novice me to locate it. I use 305 when my entire house all breakers are off. I am thinking it underground neighbors pool pump. Dam if I can find where.

So back to the new inverter and panels. I am running all new lines for pool pump and minisplits. This way I know there is no foul play on those lines. All above ground into a new load box with new breakers.

I use 305 when my entire house all breakers are off. I am thinking it underground neighbors pool pump. Dam if I can find where.

So back to the new inverter and panels. I am running all new lines for pool pump and minisplits. This way I know there is no foul play on those lines. All above ground into a new load box with new breakers.
It sounds like your problem is before your main panel/breaker. You might want to have the meter box opened up and check the lines from the meter to your main breaker as well. Assuming this is a typical setup, the source of your issue almost has to be in that area. I'm also assuming you're measuring this draw at through the meter or before the main breaker? I would think it would be fairly easily located with a clamp meter.

Reactions: Rho
It sounds like your problem is before your main panel/breaker. You might want to have the meter box opened up and check the lines from the meter to your main breaker as well. Assuming this is a typical setup, the source of your issue almost has to be in that area. I'm also assuming you're measuring this draw at through the meter or before the main breaker? I would think it would be fairly easily located with a clamp meter.
Yes, I am trying to locate electrician to pull my meter. I do not have the courage. I think my lines coming from grid service have been tapped. All this is underground and or enclosed in concrete block wall. I think phase 1 is the tapped line. Hard to locate good electrician that won't be bought off. Lol forgein country. Thank you for reply it helps confirm my thoughts on problem.

Yes, I am trying to locate electrician to pull my meter. I do not have the courage. I think my lines coming from grid service have been tapped. All this is underground and or enclosed in concrete block wall. I think phase 1 is the tapped line. Hard to locate good electrician that won't be bought off. Lol forgein country. Thank you for reply it helps confirm my thoughts on problem.
Your leak cannot be in the service lines before your meter. Unless I am misunderstanding you. Are you saying that the service entrance conductors between the meter and your main panel are underground? That would be unusual in most jurisdictions.

Your leak cannot be in the service lines before your meter. Unless I am misunderstanding you. Are you saying that the service entrance conductors between the meter and your main panel are underground? That would be unusual in most jurisdictions.
Yes, they are underground then come up through conduit in cement block wall to meter and mainbreaker.The backside is the main breaker box. As you can see neighbor box has plaster loss. Stress Crack between them. Padlock on mine.

Attachments

• 20220917_091352.jpg
    20220917_091352.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 29
Yes, they are underground then come up through conduit in cement block wall to meter and mainbreaker.The backside is the main breaker box. As you can see neighbor box has plaster loss. Stress Crack between them. Padlock on mine.
That makes sense but any leak in the ground and the concrete block is before your meter. Tapping those lines would not register on your meter,

That makes sense but any leak in the ground and the concrete block is before your meter. Tapping those lines would not register on your meter,
I beleive they have attached on meter before I placed pad lock. Then run to their meter which is a grid feed meter,as if they have panels. They have none.

I beleive they have attached on meter before I placed pad lock. Then run to their meter which is a grid feed meter,as if they have panels. They have none.
That should be obvious if you open the meter enclosure. If they did something that the padlock would have prevented, you should be able to see. Check your ground conductor for a leak.

I use 305 when my entire house all breakers are off
305 watts? Since you mentioned phase I’m assuming Mexico 120/240 split phase? So a 2.5A load?
That’s a wicked small pool pump.
Get a meter base cover with lockout provision. Set yourself up to not be grid-tie for a week.
Observe neighbor’s pool on video
Pull the meter, observe for nefarious connections, and place meter base cover and lock it. (If there’s obvious nefarious connections test is over. I imagine there won’t be. I’d imagine if you’re tapped they would do it less obviously)
Observe neighbor’s pool on video.
If that’s not obvious then run on solar for a week, no grid. If they’re stealing your electricity they will have someone show up to service the ‘failure.’

One thing you should do is get a reading on your service entrance L1 and L2 (Amps) with main breaker off and meter pulled. Next, with meter pulled turn on your main breaker with solar active and see L1 and L2 has any current (if normal electrical rules were followed it should not be possible to feedback from your solar to the grid cables.)

But either way, something’s awry.

305 watts? Since you mentioned phase I’m assuming Mexico 120/240 split phase? So a 2.5A load?
That’s a wicked small pool pump.

Get a meter base cover with lockout provision. Set yourself up to not be grid-tie for a week.
Observe neighbor’s pool on video
Pull the meter, observe for nefarious connections, and place meter base cover and lock it. (If there’s obvious nefarious connections test is over. I imagine there won’t be. I’d imagine if you’re tapped they would do it less obviously)
Observe neighbor’s pool on video.
If that’s not obvious then run on solar for a week, no grid. If they’re stealing your electricity they will have someone show up to service the ‘failure.’

One thing you should do is get a reading on your service entrance L1 and L2 (Amps) with main breaker off and meter pulled. Next, with meter pulled turn on your main breaker with solar active and see L1 and L2 has any current (if normal electrical rules were followed it should not be possible to feedback from your solar to the grid cables.)

But either way, something’s awry.
Thank you testing soon. Found irrigation sprinkler pumps. One by one removed. Lol yhey are faster than me. 3 am I have alarm go off. Yes in Mx.

Thank you testing soon. Found irrigation sprinkler pumps. One by one removed. Lol yhey are faster than me. 3 am I have alarm go off. Yes in Mx.
It is totally weird to me that your electricity is provisioned in such a way that it can be clandestinely siphoned after the meter. It would seem more lucrative to harvest the stolen watthours before any meters.

Back