diy solar

diy solar

My new acopower solar panels to not have a "max series fuse rating"???

nwlady

I just received two acopower 120 w folding panels. In trying to figure out how to wire these to my victron charge controller, looks like a need to know the "max. series fuse rating". From other comments, I was expecting to see this on the back of the solar panels. Lots of other information on the back of the solar panels but not.... max series fuse rating. Should I be returning these panels? are they missing something? I have emailed the company requesting this information and have not received a response.
Plz help... thank you

First, panels only need fuses if you have 3 or more in parallel.

Assuming Isc of that panel 6-8A, I would use 15A if I insisted on having a fuse.

Also worth checking any online manuals for the panels.

First, panels only need fuses if you have 3 or more in parallel.

Assuming Isc of that panel 6-8A, I would use 15A if I insisted on having a fuse.

Also worth checking any online manuals for the panels.
Thank you. I looked online and in the manual... VERY limited info or guidance. Could not find the ISC. I did see that other similar mono type panels had an ISC of 15 A. Thank you so much for your help! I am NEw to this and trying to learn/understand.

Thank you. I looked online and in the manual... VERY limited info or guidance. Could not find the ISC. I did see that other similar mono type panels had an ISC of 15 A. Thank you so much for your help! I am NEw to this and trying to learn/understand.
Why do you need a fuse for 3 panels in parallel... but not two? Amp? Volts? or?? I thought you had to compare the isc total of all panels to the max series fuse rating. Do all the 100 - 120w panels have the same max series fuse rating? I did see other poly type panels with 15A max fuse ratings.... and a mono type panel with an 8A rating. Is this typical? thank you

Lets say that you have 3 panels, the Isc (Short circuit current) is rated @10A, so you put two panels in parallel and if one shorted out the current will be only 10A flowing in the shorted panel, but if you have 3 panels in parallel, if one panel shorted out then you can have 20A flowing in the shorted panel so that is why you need to have fuse for each panel when you have > 2 panels in parallel.

Lets say that you have 3 panels, the Isc (Short circuit current) is rated @10A, so you put two panels in parallel and if one shorted out the current will be only 10A flowing in the shorted panel, but if you have 3 panels in parallel, if one panel shorted out then you can have 20A flowing in the shorted panel so that is why you need to have fuse for each panel when you have > 2 panels in parallel.
thank you!

Back