diy solar

diy solar

My Off Grid Cabin System

Curtailment also occurs most often due to the fact there is nowhere to store the energy.
This is a huge issue in Ontario Canada.... Former Gov was big on Turbines but saw no need for grid storage batteries. Current Government started ripping down Turbines and even had to cough up millions & millions to cancel contracts with the hardware already on site ready for installation!

They even chased BYD away from building a factory until just recently when they relented. Instead of being sane, they are refurbishing the Pickering Nuclear disaster site and the Darlington Nuclear facility... 30 billion allocated, will, of course, it'll cost 40, and still with nowhere to store any of the waste.... remember these are the idiots that wanted to put a Nuclear Waste Vault on the Great Lakes.... such genius, one screw up and North America's fresh water reserve is pooched.

Imagine how many Turbines & Grid Storage Power Stations could be put in place for 40 Billion Dollars ! and no waste to deal with for 100,000 years after it's created.

We just built our cabin from the ground up.
Concrete slab, 24' x 32' cabin.
The cabin is wired for standard 120v AC current....
Here is an updated Schematic that might explain things a little clearer.
I see how crappy the .jpg is, so I attached a PDF that should be much easier to view.

Attachments

• HARG Electric Schematic (2020).jpg
    HARG Electric Schematic (2020).jpg
    78 KB · Views: 24
  • HARG Electrical Schematic (12-26-20).pdf
    389.5 KB · Views: 15
Some final help I need is to finish my system with enough fuses/breakers and grounding my system.

Based on the components I have, what would be the best way to get everything grounded?

Was looking at either driving 2 grounding rods in (2 because they will have to each be 4ft long. Can't get an 8 footer in) or getting a grounding plate.
I would put it right outside the wall from my system.

8' rod at an angle.

8' at 45 degrees would be trying for 5 and a half feet. Maybe it'll turn and skid on rock?
A post pounder is easier to use than a sledge because it can't miss.

Got steel in your foundation? If so tie to that too.

8' rod at an angle.

8' at 45 degrees would be trying for 5 and a half feet. Maybe it'll turn and skid on rock?
A post pounder is easier to use than a sledge because it can't miss.

Got steel in your foundation? If so tie to that too.
I'll give that a shot.
We did put rebar and wire mesh throughout the entire concrete slab, and they are all tied together.
You're say we could drill into the side of the slab to find rebar and connect that?

I don't have to worry about any inspections, as we built this cabin under the "primitive Rural Hunting Cabin" statute which actually PREVENTS any local inspector from looking at our new cabin. That actually scares me as far as how many people built something unsafe. Our entire cabin is up to code, including the wiring I did throughout. Our system is tiny, so it's just about as much for protecting the equipment as it is for safety.

I don't even mind driving in 3 or 4 rods 4 feet deep if I have to.
Not sure what's more important, the depth or the volume of area of earth that the rod(s) come in contact with the compacted soil.

Connecting to foundation steel would be in addition to ground rod.
I wouldn't drill into concrete, but if foundation bolts hook onto rebar you could wire to them.
Doesn't seem to me it's a great connection unless you have a 20' piece of rebar exposed or all the steel is welded together, which of course it isn't in this sort of concrete work.

Metal plumbing, gas and water pipes, also get bonded.

Perhaps where wet ground can be found is what matters.

Nine deaths during Iraq war weren't enemy fire or "friendly" fire, they were electrocutions in the shower.

You don't have that sort of dry ground problem.

Upgraded our system!
*New Battery: CHINS 12v 200ah Lithium with built-in heater
*Giandel 1500w Pure Sine Wave Inverter

Issue now is I am under-paneled and also will need to upgrade from the Rover Elite 20.

Advice on the best panel/charge controller upgrade?
I've already ordered another 100w Renogy panel.
Looking at upgrading from the Rover Elite 20a to the Rover Elite 40a.
Am I best served going with 4P or 2S2P?
Even though we are in the woods, our cabin clearing has a solar South, so once the sun hits the area, it is clear until it passes through.

Attachments

• 355386142_282981134123116_1791557287156703865_n.jpg
    355386142_282981134123116_1791557287156703865_n.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Back