diy solar

diy solar

My Renogy 3000 watt pure sine wave inverter, produces a lot off interference on MW and Short Wave.

Chadd

My Renogy 3000 watt pure sine wave inverter, produces a lot off interference on MW and Short Wave.

Renogy 3000 watt

This is on both a mains and portable radios at some distance.

Once a lead is plugged into its 13 amp socket it radiates.

I reduced 70 to 80% of it with a BT mains filter, but there are still strong buzzes at intervals along the bands.

The filter is a 10amp one and well constructed inside for or by BT.

I tried screening the input cable to the filter, but that did little to improve things further.

The inverter case is connected to the mains earth, maybe a ground earth would help, but as the radio workshop is above the garage any earth cable will be long.

I put a couple of ferrite rings over the input cable but it made no difference.

Any suggestions most welcome : )

God Bless Chadd

Attachments

• IMGA0461.JPG
    IMGA0461.JPG
    272 KB · Views: 9
  • IMGA0462.JPG
    IMGA0462.JPG
    255.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMGA0463.JPG
    IMGA0463.JPG
    227.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
The line filter is good for Conducted EMI which will not help for Radiated EMI.
So some how you need to solve the Radiated EMI, you need to locate the source of the Radiated EMI and shield it some how.

Maybe built a faraday cage for it? My inverter makes a racket at 160,80,40m but above that it's not bad.
I just switch to the beverage for reception on the lower bands and that takes care of it.

Thank you for your reply.

What ever is generating the RF inside the inverter, is then passing it down the output mains cable.

Not from the metal case or the battery input leads.

If no lead is plugged into the inverter socket, no interference is heard.

So filtering the mains out of the inverter is the way to go.

As mentioned the BT filter cuts a lot of it out.

I listen a lot on AM shortwave using vintage equipment, so probably hear more noise than SSB would.

I require an RF filter for the HF frequencies, has anyone found or made one.

They used to be capacitors and a choke, any filter will have to pass a fair amount of current as we power the microwave and other devices from the inverter.

I am suprised and very disapointed that it does not take care of the problem, powering radio equipment is something an invertor would be used for.

It should been built without this problem, not recomended at all.

Had it not been a sinewave type I would have expected interference : (

God Bless Chadd

Ok Chadd ,good luck.
I noticed the Victron inverters are FCC accepted,they should be quiet.
I didnt think the pure sinewave would be noisy either but like i said i get by with my antenna set up.
My inverter is a Giandel btw.

Hypothetically, could RF interference disrupt WiFi?

I wonder if this is what is causing my wifi smart plugs located near my inverters to temporarily lose connection

There is a lot online about inverter interference with WI FI, though it has not been a problem for us.

Poor old MW and HF gets it every time.

Going back years it was car ignition and early power tools.

Then the line time base of 405 and then 625 TV.

Now it is all this digital equipment we have : ( DOOOMED we are all DOOMED : )

I have just submited a review on the Renogy site, it remains to be seen if they have the honesty to publish it : )

The inverter Wipes out MW and some SW reception whether a mains receiver or a portable not at all good in that respect.
As it is a sign wave inverter I expected better.
There is no interference until a lead is plugged into the inverter 13 amp socket.
I reduced some of it with a high current Post Office filter, this shows that it could have been built to filter out this interference.
Very disappointed God Bless Allen
Renogy Reviews

Last edited:
Good evening an update on the inverter.

It causes problems with two of my frequency counters.

They require a lot more signal to give a readout and on one the display shows a five on the last digit.

The frequency on the display also varies with the input level.

I shall change to 24 volt and a differed make sometime in the future.

There is no problem with domestic equipment TV or computers.

Watch out for laser printers though, the surge must be very high as it shuts down the inverter, which surprised me.

A Google search confirmed that they are a problem.
God Bless Chadd

Back