diy solar

diy solar

My roof mounted 15.75kW solar system (time lapse video)

Cranium

I had previously been quoted by companies over the past 5 years a cost of $45k-$60k (before tax rebate) so I decided to do as much as I could myself to save some money and avoid being ripped off. My total cost installed was $28k which also includes the first year cost of a require $1 million umbrella policy for the house. After the tax rebate, my costs will be $19.6k with a ROI of 7 years not taking into account the increased equity of the house.

A friend of mine also put an array on his house at the same time but he opted to shop around and use a company to do it for him. They coincidentally used the same panels and inverters as me but I'm not sure what combiner box or roof mount system they used. His array was also slightly smaller at 13.55kW (43 panels). His cost for the convenience of not having to do any work was $40k (before tax rebate).

I did the research, sizing, pulled permits, purchasing, etc myself to save some money. I sized the array to cover about 90% of my electricity costs. I'll have to change out my AC units soonish (hopefully they will last another 3 years so I can pay off the loan for the array first). Once the AC units are replaced, this will lower my AC bill further since I currently have two 12 SEER units and will go to 18 SEER (at least, that is the plan right now). I was lucky that I found a contractor that would work with me to do the install at a good rate. He did a phenomenal job and completed the install in a single day.

Since I just had heart surgery less than two months before the install, I decided to not participate in the heavy work on the roof and opted to instead record everything with my drone that I bought just for this event. As the homeowner that pulled the permit, I was responsible for making sure everything was done right but didn't want to get in the way of the guys doing the work.

The details of the array are as follows:
  • 50 - Q-cell Duo BLK-G5 315W panels
  • 50 - Enphase IQ 7+ microinverters.
  • Enphase Envoy combiner box
  • IronRidge XR Flush Mount system

Man... I don’t know how I’d feel with a camera drone flying over my head all day...
that’s a cool video though.

Man... I don’t know how I’d feel with a camera drone flying over my head all day...
that’s a cool video though.
lol....Thanks.
I did get their permission to record with the drone for a timelapse beforehand and they were cool with it. Plus, the contractor now has an install video he can use as a reference for future work. win-win :)

lol....Thanks.
I did get their permission to record with the drone for a timelapse beforehand and they were cool with it. Plus, the contractor now has an install video he can use as a reference for future work. win-win :)
That’s awesome!

What average wh daily do you produce?

What average wh daily do you produce?
This is the first full month of production and it is in the hurricane season in Florida so production has been all over the place (as expected at this time of the year).

This month, as of today, I have produced 1,131 kWh of electricity. The best day was 80.7 kWh and the worst was 19.6kWh produced.

Those are great numbers. I like that you have both morning, mid day, and afternoon directions covered. If you ever get a battery, that will help recharge the battery sooner in the morning, so you won't have to have as much battery to last til afternoon, then you will continue to have solar as the peak period of the day comes, keeping your battery topped up as much as possible and avoiding as much evening use as possible.

Ulmo,
Thanks!
IMHO, Batteries, in Florida, are not worth the cost. $0.12/kWh with no substantial rate hike during peak times and net metering means I would never recoup the costs of a battery system.

For a backup system, I can put in a whole house 13kW generator with a 500 Gal propane tank for under $10k. This would last for up to a week being supplemented by solar panels during the day.

I will probably still add in some batteries at some point but it will be a very small, home built, system that will be more for a learning experience and preparing for future plans of being off grid.

Last edited:
I worry about those "bad" days. I have a 7.2kwh hybrid inverter with 24 x 300w (7.2k) panels. Purchased another 6 panels so I can flick on a breaker due to weather. However I'm going off grid in Cabo San Lucas. Hope that is enough panels!!

I worry about those "bad" days. I have a 7.2kwh hybrid inverter with 24 x 300w (7.2k) panels. Purchased another 6 panels so I can flick on a breaker due to weather. However I'm going off grid in Cabo San Lucas. Hope that is enough panels!!
When you go off grid, what will you be using besides the solar panels?

Ordering on of these LiFePO4 batteries today (12V 500 ah) and testing with Xantrex 12V. If it works well then I will order three more.

I just had my 11.5kw system installed two weeks ago and I'm waiting on Duke Energy to install my net meter. My system consists of 35 Canadian Solar panels along with Enphase iQ7 inverters. I've been playing with the system unofficially of course and my best production was 40kwh on a good sunny day. I'm hoping that'll be around 50kwh/day once we get past these shorter fall/winter months where the sun isn't blasting us Floridians like it normally does in the spring and summer months. I paid $45K for my system installed which I'm sure to some people might seem very high. I thought about doing what the OP did by contracting everything himself but in the end I chose to go the route I did. My friend referred me to the company who installed his system two years ago and he's been happy so far.

My goal is to be able to produce around 1500kwh of power on a monthly basis which should provide my home with enough power to have little to hardly any electric bills. I normally only use about 1100kwh/month but I recently bought a Tesla Model 3 and that thing takes a crapload of power every time I charge it. That's why I'm figuring an extra 400kwh/month on my expected solar production.

It appears my solar hours in Cabo are similar to Florida. I think I'm going to have to go adjustable tilt angle to survive off grid at latitude 22 and pick up 6 more panels (total of 36 x 300). Just not enough juice during fall winter like you said.

I had previously been quoted by companies over the past 5 years a cost of $45k-$60k (before tax rebate) so I decided to do as much as I could myself to save some money and avoid being ripped off. My total cost installed was $28k which also includes the first year cost of a require $1 million umbrella policy for the house. After the tax rebate, my costs will be $19.6k with a ROI of 7 years not taking into account the increased equity of the house.

A friend of mine also put an array on his house at the same time but he opted to shop around and use a company to do it for him. They coincidentally used the same panels and inverters as me but I'm not sure what combiner box or roof mount system they used. His array was also slightly smaller at 13.55kW (43 panels). His cost for the convenience of not having to do any work was $40k (before tax rebate).

I did the research, sizing, pulled permits, purchasing, etc myself to save some money. I sized the array to cover about 90% of my electricity costs. I'll have to change out my AC units soonish (hopefully they will last another 3 years so I can pay off the loan for the array first). Once the AC units are replaced, this will lower my AC bill further since I currently have two 12 SEER units and will go to 18 SEER (at least, that is the plan right now). I was lucky that I found a contractor that would work with me to do the install at a good rate. He did a phenomenal job and completed the install in a single day.

Since I just had heart surgery less than two months before the install, I decided to not participate in the heavy work on the roof and opted to instead record everything with my drone that I bought just for this event. As the homeowner that pulled the permit, I was responsible for making sure everything was done right but didn't want to get in the way of the guys doing the work.

The details of the array are as follows:
  • 50 - Q-cell Duo BLK-G5 315W panels
  • 50 - Enphase IQ 7+ microinverters.
  • Enphase Envoy combiner box
  • IronRidge XR Flush Mount system
So cool!

Back