diy solar

diy solar

My RV house battery is done. I will be installing solar and LiFePo4 batteries later this year. Can I install a LiFePo4 as my house battery NOW? S

bcolins

I am just getting educated about Solar and batteries etc. I have a Sprinter based Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser. The prior owner installed a standard automotive starting battery as the house battery,....and it has now passed on to greener pastures. I intend to install 2 200 watt panels on my roof sometime this year,..(.thats all I have room for) and had been thinking of one or two Battle Born batteries or something comparable.

My question is this: Currently my house battery is only charged by my vehicle alternator and I am thinking that the charging profile from my alternator may not be good for a Lithium Iron Phosphate battery. The Alternator is probably the original alternator for the Sprinter.

Can I just drop the Battle Born in as my new house battery,....or,......Having just watched Will's tutorial on the Renogy DC/DC charge controller that will manage and distribute charging from Solar and the Vehicle Alternator to both the vehicle starting battery and the RV house battery,....would I need to integrate something like the Renogy unit,.......or is this just a bad idea all around?

Brian Collins
San Antonio, TX

Do not quote me as I am not totally familiar with Sprinters but I believe they have a Smart alternator (depending on year). From what I am reading and have learned here and on Will's YouTube, the Renogy DC to DC Charger w/ MPPT would likely be the smart way to go. It has a hookup to work with Smart alts and will manage the Battle Borne batteries well. At least that's what I have read and likely do in your situation.

Drop in a group 31 150Ah from ohmmu with built in BMS. Ohmmu.com
Talk to Shawn. He’s awesome.

Do not quote me as I am not totally familiar with Sprinters but I believe they have a Smart alternator (depending on year). From what I am reading and have learned here and on Will's YouTube, the Renogy DC to DC Charger w/ MPPT would likely be the smart way to go. It has a hookup to work with Smart alts and will manage the Battle Borne batteries well. At least that's what I have read and likely do in your situation.
Chevymike,.....I have a 2004 Sprinter van RV,....they might have a smart alternator today,....but I would be surprised if my 2004 had one.

Drop in a group 31 150Ah from ohmmu with built in BMS. Ohmmu.com
Talk to Shawn. He’s awesome.
Ironladd, Thanks for the suggestion, but Battle Born does have that 10 year warranty for $949, yeah,...only 100 amp hour. Dont know how to compare.

Ironladd, Thanks for the suggestion, but Battle Born does have that 10 year warranty for $949, yeah,...only 100 amp hour. Dont know how to compare.
You can upgrade the ohmmu warranty to 10 year and the total cost on a 150Ah drop in is $1,049. So, for a $100 more you get 50% more capacity.

You can upgrade the ohmmu warranty to 10 year and the total cost on a 150Ah drop in is $1,049. So, for a $100 more you get 50% more capacity.
Sounds good, but keep in mind, battleborn 100Ah battery is actually a 120Ah, with 100Ah configuration for extreme long life, and has amazing build quality.

I dont know anything about ohmmu, maybe will has done a tear down on one, but of all the drop ins out there he has done a tear down on that I have seen... only battleborn has top notch parts.

I have $ 64,000 worth of Battleborn running my house.
(Actually, I use used BYD's) same AH though. :ROFLMAO: 1 BYD = 4 Battleborns

I can get easily 24 hours of normal use for my entire house. That's with zero rechargings during that cycle. I have ~ 3 kWp of solar panels in the mail that I'm going to connect to my MPPSolar to pump some juice into the batteries while they power my house.

Last edited:
Sounds good, but keep in mind, battleborn 100Ah battery is actually a 120Ah, with 100Ah configuration for extreme long life, and has amazing build quality.

I dont know anything about ohmmu, maybe will has done a tear down on one, but of all the drop ins out there he has done a tear down on that I have seen... only battleborn has top notch parts.
Understood. If you’re good spending that much more, go for it. I found that ohmmu offers a better deal, so that’s what I went with. Ohmmu has been providing batteries to Tesla owners for years and is considered a high end product with exceptional reliability. Also an AZ based company. Any reputable LiFePO4 has extra capacity and usable capacity. The ‘usable’ capacity in the ohmmu is 150Ah for $950 and a 4 year warranty, or $1,050 with a 10 year warranty.

You should isolate charging of your Sprinter cab battery from your house. The Sprinter is limited to 40 amps of secondary charging with the 220 amp alternator . Best to set up a 24 volt house system inverter and charger and use a Victron Orion TR smart 12/24 15 amp DC to DC charger. The Renology DC/MPPT is only a 12 volt to 12 volt charger. The Victron is fully programmable for all battery types and also has a remote switch to connect to BMS systems , but you may be using Battle Born with iintegrated bms.

Back